Blighted ovum at 5w2d U/S?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
So, I went for an U/S at exactly 5 w, and doctor could not find anything, no sac, just a thickened endometrium. At 5w2d today, there was a sac but she said sac was an irregular shape/size and there is no baby in it. She said she can confidently declare it a miscarriage Somehow, I think it is too early.

My HCG at 5w was 2289. They took blood today for a repeat HCG but I wont get the results until 3 days from now.

History: I have a 4 year old son and had a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks 6 months back.

Anyone else went through something similar?
January 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never experienced this myself but i have had 3 losses. Im so sorry your going through this. I will keep you in my prayers.
wannahave123 likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your HCG seems high for "nothing there". You are in my prayers.
wannahave123 likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Go with your gut, if you feel it's too early to tell, then it might be good to wait another week and recheck. I'm sorry you are getting this news. I hope for good news next time!
wannahave123 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 11th, 2013, 05:11 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I would probably give it another week too and have them recheck. Keep us updated on your numbers.

I have had 2 losses but they were both when I was just a couple days shy of 8 weeks.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
January 11th, 2013, 07:30 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an ultrasound with this baby right at six weeks. This is what they found...

A sac with a tiny, tiny little spot that she said was the baby.

Here was a week later...

A beautiful baby with a heartbeat and measuring right on track.

You are even earlier so it's entirely possible that it's just too early for there to be much to see. It only took two days to go from absolutely nothing to a sac. A week is an eternity early on in a pregnancy. I would wait until next week and ask for another scan to see what is going on. I really hope you get some good news when you go back.
January 12th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran
I am so sorry you are going through this uncertainty. I think you are far too early to declare anything. As previous posts suggested, only time will tell, and in this early in pregnancy a week is an eternity. I have had a blighted ovum, I am actually going through my second one currently. However, I genuinely believe that you are really too early to make this diagnosis. Do you have a follow up ultrasound scheduled? The only way to say for sure is with ultrasound, if it is a blighted ovum the HCG will continue to rise until the body realizes that a baby is not there. I would suggest not doing anything to intervene until you get a clearer picture (literally!) of what is happening in there. Many prayers for you, keep us posted.
wannahave123 likes this.
10/2012 (7weeks)
1/2013 (8 weeks)
10/2013 (11 weeks, trisomy 21)

IVF#1 - June '14
24 eggs, 18 mature, 10 fertilized with ICSI
4 blasts sent for PGS, 2 chromosomal normal boys

IVF #2 - September '14
January 13th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
I say wait it out another week and get another ultrasound done. By then if there is nothing there, then you know for sure, but right now, at 5w2d it is so very early and Ultrasounds can be off at this point due to late implantation or just starting slow.
wannahave123 likes this.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
January 14th, 2013, 06:10 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I agree with the other ladies and you should give it a little more time, just to be sure. You are in my thought and prayers.
wannahave123 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I had my first, my doc suggested that I wait another week, and after that, she even said wait another week to be absolutely certain. I was around 5.5 weeks the first time and she didn't want to say with confidence that there wasn't anything there until closer to 8 weeks. Sometimes baby "hides" that early and the u/s is just not sensitive enough to pick it up. I would definitely go with your gut and wait it out for at least another week, the waiting sucks, but it might bring better news!
wannahave123 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son AND this pregnancy were diagnosed as blighted ovums. I have a retroverted tipped uterus, and it makes it hard to see anything before 8-9 weeks. Try not to worry too much. Go back in for a scan at around 8 weeks and you will probably see some good stuff!
wannahave123 likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for all your support and encouraging words. They really helped me in my darkest time. Even though my HCG doubled in 48 hours between 5w and 5w2d (got to know this afternoon), I have started bleeding red now. Its over A part of me still wants to hold on to hope. But, can I, especially after I start bleeding red?
January 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Call your doctor right away.... See what they say to do. (((hugs)))
wannahave123 likes this.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

January 14th, 2013, 10:46 PM
You could even go into the ER if you wanted to find out right away, and I'm sure they'd do an ultrasound for you. No way to know for sure...some women have had bleeding and continued on to have healthy pregnancies. But it is worrisome for sure. Let us know what you find out!!
wannahave123 likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran
That early really the only way to KNOW is to wait and see what happens. Torture, I know. I would go in for another round of bloodwork and see if your hcg is starting to drop yet... It's still early enough that an ultrasound might be inconclusive, and you may wait in the ER a long time to be seen. I would avoid the ER but do call your doctor ASAP. Hoping the best for you!
wannahave123 likes this.
Elli (age 4)
miscarriage Sept 09
Audrey (age 2)
miscarriage Aug 12
Baby #4 - BOY!!! - due Aug 31, 2013
January 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Update: I bled only a couple of drops of red! I feared the worst and went in for U/S this morning (completing 6th week today). U/S showed a baby and a faint heartbeat Technician said baby measured at 5.5 weeks and the heartbeat could be counted as it was off the charts. In addition, U/S showed a second sac (!!!) but it was empty (just like the first sac was 3 days back).

I am wondering if it is possible that the second sac will show up a baby a couple of days from now just as the first sac did? Also, I have read that spotting and bleeding are common in twin pregnancies. Hoping my bean(s) stick....please pray for me!

I am nervous, hopeful, scared...everything rolled into one. Doctor said she is cautiously optimistic but nothing can be said right now.
markswife, melissalaw and Minbad like this.
January 15th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is great! I am sorry you are dealing with the stress. I bled heavily (bright red) with both of my healthy pregnancies, it was scary for sure. I ended up having a clot with the first one, it was right near my cervix, which is why I bled, no reason for the 2nd healthy pregnancy bleeding. Some people just bleed.

Could it be that the 2nd sac is the sac that they saw in the last u/s? If they didn't see 2 before, perhaps the other was hiding.

Keep us posted!!
wannahave123 likes this.

January 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is such great news!!! So happy for you.
wannahave123 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 15th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Oh I'm so glad to hear you have a baby and a heartbeat! And a second sac too??? Woohoo! I'm sure you're nervous but that has got to be some good news!! I'm so glad you didn't listen to your doctor and held out hope

January 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad that you were able to get an update. I hope you see two perfect little babies with beautiful beating little hearts at your next scan. Good luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search