Mind if I vent a bit? (updated)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By geogeek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey ladies, hope you don't mind me complaining a bit.

So for depression, which I struggle with, my doctor pretty much is only willing to work with either Wellbutrin or Prozac because they're well-studied in pregnancy. Well, Wellbutrin makes my heart issue worse (racing heart beat), so I had to get off that. Prozac completely kills my sex drive and my body's "performance" (if you KWIM) and doesn't really do a whole lot for the depression. I got off the Prozac a few weeks ago and was very happy that sex went back to normal, but now I feel like I'm getting some of the symptoms back of depression. Sleeping is less restful than it was, and it was already difficult. I wake up exhausted. I'm irritable with my toddler (I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to combine pregnancy with toddler-rearing, whoever they are needs a smack upside the head!), and just want to zone out on the computer all day. I don't want to do anything or go anywhere.

I'd love to give St. John's Wort a try, as I've been reading up more about using herbs for healing, but pretty much everything is off-limits while you're pregnant. I feel like when I was getting care during my pregnancy with DS, that my doctor cared more about keeping the depression under control. This doc to me seems like she's too conservative about it and wants to just let me limp along till the baby is born. I know no meds are better for baby, but I don't see how I'm going to get through another 2.5 months like this. I'm thinking I'll just try some herbs for sleeping (I know Valerian is off-limits) and depression and see how it turns out. Most of the reason they say not to take herbs while pregnant is not because there's documented harm to the baby, but because no one cares to do any substantial studies on it because there's no money it it for the pharmaceutical companies.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; February 28th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
February 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I don't know about medications during pregnancy. I hope that you can find something that works for you.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly I would talk more with your doctor. Tell her you are thinking of taking herbals because you just need something. She may have input on that. A huge problem with herbals is also that they are pretty much totally unregulated. For drugs there are adverse event reporting systems and so you can get some indication of whether they have possibly caused problems for other pregnant women, even if they are not the very most well studied drugs. But there is no system like that for herbal remedies and most people don't even tell their doctor they are taking them, so it is a more severe lack of info. I would try harder to get your dr to treat your depression before going the herbal route, personally. And I am a very crunchy person in many ways but I am also a scientist and have done some work on drug safety and such, so my opinions on herbals are much more skeptical than they used to be.

Are you currently in talk therapy? Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy?

I hope you can get some help hun. Good luck!!!

February 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks Shen, that's a good point. I haven't been in talk therapy/counseling because I changed insurances and I can't see my regular/favorite counselor. I guess I need to break down and find a new one who takes my insurance. It's just hard because most of the time I'm home alone with DS and it's hard to find someone to watch him for an appointment. DH's work schedule is random so I never know exactly when he's going to be home until a few days beforehand. So it can make it hard to plan.

I did go get some melatonin today so that might at least help my sleep which I know would help my mood. We'll see how it goes.

February 19th, 2013, 06:55 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with your depression and sleeping issues. I agree with Shen. I would try to talk to your dr again and see if she will be more willing to help you deal with your depression and sleep.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely talk to your doctor, depression isn't good for the baby either. Your doctor should be helping both of you, not just the baby! I hope you can find something that helps!!

February 20th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I will be seeing my OB tomorrow, so I'll talk to her more. I think I am getting better sleep with the Melatonin though. I feel a lot better today. Well plus and my hubby is home after 10 days gone, so that helps too. I feel a lot more positive!
melissalaw likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joy so glad that you seem to be feeling better. I'm sure you got a better nights sleep have your hubby home. I know for me I always sleep better when DH is in bed with me. I hope you continue to feel better. Hopefully your OB can give you some extra help also.
EverydayJoy likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Hey just wanted to update, my doctor ok'ed me to go back on the Wellbutrin, even though it does make my heart rate kick up a little more often. I'm taking half of the lowest dose, and I can already feel a big difference in my mood and energy level. I have been very productive the last few days getting some stuff done around the house and for baby prepping. And no more biting hubby's head off I am so glad to have my meds back!
melissalaw likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am so glad that you found something that would work for you! Thank you for updating. Not long until your little boy is here!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 1st, 2013, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great news! Glad you are doing better

March 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Yep not long now! Only about 9 weeks-ish! Woohoo

March 1st, 2013, 08:19 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I hope the Wellbutrin helps you out!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
March 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Glad your doing good and I can't believe that you only have 9 weeks left. Seems like it has gone by so fast, although I'm sure it hasn't seemed that fast for you. I can't wait until your holding that sweet baby boy and I can't wait to see pictures.

March 5th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Thank you! In some ways it's been fast, and others it's been slow. Each day seems to drag by, but at the same time, when I look back, I've come so far.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search