Breasteeding and TTC

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ohnicole
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By humnck

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 06:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is anybody else still breastfeeding and TTC or is anybody pregnant and still breastfeeding? Just wondering how difficult it was for you to become pregnant while still breastfeeding.

Jacob is still breastfeeding and I'm pumping while at work. I just got AF back and DH and I are planning on going ahead and TTC right away. I didn't chart my temps while I was breastfeeding my first child so I don't know if my ovulation got back on track right away with my first AF or if it was all screwy for awhile.

Just wondering if your ovulation got back on track while you were still breastfeeding?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We were TTC before I even got my first AF I breastfed M *a lot* (she had a high demand lol), she never took a bottle, I would hand pump a little to relieve engorgement but she never liked it except straight from the boob! And we coslept and she'd nurse on demand all night. I didn't get AF until she was about 14 months old. I am pretty sure my cycles were anovulatory at first. They were long cycles too, 40+ days at first and then got shorter. I had 3. The first AF was really light and short and not a big deal. The second AF was a full week of heavy bleeding and cramps and I felt horrible the whole time. Finally the third one was pretty normal for me, 2-3 heavy days and then tapered off, maybe one day of yucky cramps. I got EWCM and +OPKs one week later than expected but we BDed a lot around those days and got pregnant with this guy

My milk instantly turned thin and gross and M was desperately trying to pull in more supply, she is very persistent but often was frustrated with my milk not satisfying her. After a few weeks of increasing pain and misery, I started weaning her slowly and she was fully weaned at 18 months, around the end of my first tri. She was plenty big enough and ate a full diet of solids and drank from a cup and straw cup so I was not worried about her nutrition and she has done fine. I hit the 18 month BFing milestone and feel good about that.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got AF back when Eleanor was 3 or 4 months old, despite exclusively breastfeeding her. She was always a pretty frequent nurser, too. My first few cycles were long, even for my cycles, which are usually long anyway. I was up too much at night to reliably temp, but I tracked my CM, did OPK, and closely paid attention for O pain, and I'm pretty sure all my cycles were ovulatory. With my long cycles, my luteal phase was shorter than usual, so I started taking a B vitamin complex (I had done that when TTC the first time, too).

We NTNP until Eleanor was 6 months, then started actively TTC. My cycles got back on track in a normal range for me when she was 9-10 months old. We conceived when she was 13 months. This was all better than I hoped for, with our history of infertility.

I am still nursing Eleanor... she is still nursing probably 6-10 times a day. There are probably days when she nurses more than that. I have been working on night weaning (more a sleep issue than a pregnancy issue), but I am going to have to attempt it again soon because it wasn't going that smoothly for us. I have been lucky so far to have not had any issues with breastfeeding while pregnant... no pain or discomfort, and no supply issues yet as far as I can tell. I know my supply could dive at any time, and I am okay with that. I have a feeling Eleanor might be one of those babies who would continue dry nursing because she is just that attached to nursing.
melissalaw likes this.
February 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stopped nursing in June and got pregnant in August. We only really tried TTC in the last two months I was nursing. My cycle got back to normal almost immediately once it started back up.
melissalaw likes this.
February 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I got pregnant while still exclusively pumping for my first. I had had 3 normal cycles before trying. Unfortunately, that turned out to be my first miscarriage. I kind of blamed myself for trying while pumping and asking too much of my body at the time, but looking back on it, it probably had nothing to do with the fact that I was still pumping. But to answer your question, as far as getting pregnant, I had no problem with it and have known other ladies who got pregnant while still nursing and nursed through their entire pregnancy. I will most likely still be pumping when I start trying for number 3 at the end of the year.

March 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First of all, how exciting that you are TTC soon! Secondly, I have no advice on the bfing and TTC, just wanted to say good luck
melissalaw likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I nursed Emily until a few weeks ago. I started her on solids at 6 months so by 7 months I had my first pp AF. I had ONE af then got pregnant lol. Emily and the next one will be 17/18 months apart. I did have to finally wean her onto formula completely though bc I had to stop taking fenugreek and it was the only thing keeping my breastmilk supply up and even then it was barely just enough.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search