Reality check with potty training

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By L-SBB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey ladies, just wanted to bounce this off of you who have been through potty training. See if I'm thinking about this right or not!

My son is 3, he turned 3 in January. He is sort of halfway potty trained, I guess. He started potty training during this pregnancy and I haven't always had a lot of energy to put into it. So at this point, he pees in the potty for part of the day, still poops in a diaper, and wears a diaper for bedtime and naptime.

Well I guess DH thinks that I should just force DS to use the potty for pooping, whether he wants to or not, whereas I am not fond of the idea of making potty training a kockdown, dragout fight between me and my toddler. Basically I just suggest the potty from time to time in regards to pooping but DS prefers a diaper. We've tried bribing him and he's not interested in the bribes. He's totally capable of doing it, and tells us whenever he needs to poop in his diaper. He just doesn't want to use the potty for it, for whatever reason.

DH thinks it would be easier on me for having a newborn if we could get DS potty trained first. But I've heard that they can have relapses when they potty train close to a sibling being born. I can totally see this happening, because DS is shy about using the potty and doesn't want anyone helping him but me. Not even his daddy. So while I am out of commission for the first couple of weeks recuperating from delivery, I won't be able to help him much with that. So my plan was to just go with how DS wants to do it right now, even if that means changing diapers for him after Kody is born, because it will require less energy from me than trying to stay on top of potty training.

Am I just being lazy here? I mean I know that I am to some extent but I kinda thought I'd focus in on potty training DS after the birth of the baby.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 3rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sons (all of them) were not fully potty trained until about 3.5yrs. They are much different than girls. They have no issues with poop in their pants, lol. Dont force it, it never works, trust me. They will get the hang of it on their own time. When the baby comes, it might make it easier actually. When they see a tiny baby using diapers, it does something to their ego's, lol. I can say this though, if your at home all day (not sure if you work or not) but going completely naked for 2-3 days and picking up some accidents along the way will be a sure fire way to complete the process. Pull ups, diapers, are all safety nets......once they see their business on themselves or on the floor, its enough to never want to do it again, lol.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

April 3rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Aw thanks, I wonder if maybe he's just not ready quite yet. But yes that might be a good idea to just not let him have a diaper anymore during the day and make him go in the potty!

April 4th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't even start to potty train my son until he was about 3 years & 3 months (2 months after his little sister was born). He showed no interest, and I knew that with a baby on the way, I wouldn't have the energy to chase after him, fight with him, and clean up the messes! I also thought that he could relapse when the baby was born, and I didn't want to spend all that effort on potty training him when he would just regress as soon as the baby came.

When we started training him, he got the hang of peeing in the potty pretty quickly. But he, too, refused to poop in the potty. It took probably another month or so for him to poop in the potty. We would stash books and stuff in the bathroom--we even got him one of those v-tech v-reader things for the bathroom--and we'd just have him camp out in there until he pooped. So it wasn't a fight really, but he would sometimes sit in there for 45 minutes playing games until he pooped. I think having books to read helped reduce the anxiety for him, and it made it less of a battle. Also, some of those v-reader games are educational, so by the time he was 3.5, he was not only fully potty trained, but he had mastered the alphabet, too (thanks v-tech!).

I don't think you're being lazy, I think you're being realistic. When you have a kid who is newly potty trained, you have to be able to drop everything in a heartbeat to get the kid to the bathroom, and you have to help wipe him, etc. With a new baby, that's just hard. And as someone else said, boys are just different than girls... they take longer. They just don't seem to care whether or not they go in a diaper. They're just boys. So I say relax about it and he'll be potty trained sooner or later--at least before he starts kindergarten!
EverydayJoy likes this.

August 2012 December 2012
April 4th, 2013, 08:53 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
We've started buckling down with potty training Megan. Finally last week she sits on the big potty with the attached seat. Over the last few days she was loving it but today I'm already seeing the struggle with her. This is probably the 4th separate time we've started doing this.

April 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Jacob was born Jackson actually started doing better with potty training. He would see me changing Jacob's diaper and say that only baby's wore diapers and he was a big boy and didn't wear diapers. I would still put pull ups on him at night as he was still having accidents but he eventually got it.

I agree I wouldn't force it as that might do more damage than good. He'll get it when he's ready. I would just keep working with him and after baby is born just work with him when you have the time and energy.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 4th, 2013, 09:01 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
we're struggling with this right now b/c Savannah is completely capable of potty training but utterly resistant do doing so...ironically some of the parents of kids in her preschool class forcibly potty trained theirs about 6 months ago - and as a result they had a lot of accidents in class for months - and now she doesn't want to b/c she's afraid of having an accident.

When we discussed with our pedi at her 3 year apt, he really counseled against forcing kids early and said continue to encourage at least until 3 1/2 before getting concerned. As 3 1/2 is now rapidly approaching, and I want her fully trained before baby arrives so that stress doesn't set her back to much, I think we're close to trying a diaperless weekend and just deal with the inevitable accidents...i'm just loathe to force her if I can find a better way to get her to try.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input. I hate to make a big deal out of it, too, and I don't want him to have some negative association with pooping in the potty because I made it a power struggle. I hope DH can just be patient with him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search