Update from today's high risk OB appt

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By Sunrise
  • 1 Post By Ame C

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
It went pretty well, baby looks good (yay) and I continue to measure 1 full week ahead (27wks) which has been consistently the case since about 8wks even though we're not tinkering with my EDD. The baby's growth is solidly average (slightly above) so that becomes my benchmark on the growth chart curve that they'll now use to determine whether baby's growth slows at all.

A couple of unexpected things from the appt - high risk OB is now making the decision for my OB (which she was supposed to make at my 28wk appt) that he wants to perform all of the growth scans from here until delivery now. And instead of doing them monthly - so I was kind of only mentally prepared for 3 more - he will do the next one at 30 weeks but then starting at 32 weeks he wants to do them weekly I wish I could enjoy them more, instead I get so anxious about these that I feel like a panicky mess, so not really excited to do so many.

He also confirmed what I feared, they definitely want to induce me early - in fact earlier than I anticipated - he's saying his recommendation to my OB will be to induce between 38-39weeks, due primarily to the blood thinners i'm on. I'll get more info on this at my 28wk appt with my OB....what was interesting was that he was talking to me about my challenges with Savannah's induction and telling me how they can do a more relaxed induction process with this one(possibly even sending me home if i'm not progressing) almost as if he plans to be there...I don't think my OB is asking him to be present (that's really only for super high risk patients I think?) but I'll have to ask her.

Anyway, pics are kind of poor (sorry, cellphone) but here's the best of the group today:
Ame C likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad your little sweetheart is doing ok, Lara! I'm sorry you have to have so many nerve-wracking ultrasounds, but I hope the time flies by and you are holding her soon!
L-SBB likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lara I'm glad that your little girl is doing good and growing!! I hate that you have to have so many ultrasounds that make you a nervous wreck. I know I loved having more ultrasounds but would always get really nervous.

Sorry about the early induction. Why do they want to induce that early?
L-SBB likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great update. I'm sorry about the ultrasounds. Maybe... You'll get so used to going, the anxiety will get a little easier??!! Congrats on a good appt--
L-SBB likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Oh my, your baby is absolutely adorable!!!
My Dr wants to induce me at 38 weeks also. He really has no good reason for it except that's the gestation time when we lost Clyde which were from reasons unknown. I guess everyone is worried that it could possibly happen again. So I'm fearful of the idea but on board with it at the same time. I just tell myself that if baby is that far along, maybe it would be safer for baby to be "out" than it would for baby to be "in". (if that makes sense) I do not want our baby to be stuck in NICU at all, but if it happens then I know it's for the best. I know this probably isn't helping you... but just know your not alone. I'm going to be dealing with the same things your going through now, but I have a little more time before we get to that point. My Dr mentioned the weekly stress tests and said we would talk more about it when it comes to that time.

Please keep us updated! ((hugs))
L-SBB likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
thanks ladies I need to get my anxiety under control with these u/s seriously...I was freaking myself out this morning when the tech took extra time on her heart, it's weird how I love seeing her but I dread the scan itself.

Melissa - they warned me at the start that they'd want to induce because of the blood thinners i'm on (they can't risk me going into labor naturally and then potentially needing an emergency C-section because even though i'll be switched to Heparin at 36wks, it takes 12 hours to leave your system...I think they can give you something to help reverse it, but it takes some time, and you can't have any type of epi or spinal block until it's all out of your system either which means they'd have to do general anth. which is also not ideal). I think my age is also a factor, i'm in a higher risk group (highest actually by age) for stillbirth and that risk begins to increase starting at 37wks so that may be playing a role in his recommendation too.

Ame - I don't blame your doctor at all for wanting to induce early since they don't know why you lost Clyde. I kind of feel same way as you do (safer out than in after a certain point) and I don't even have a good reason for feeling that way. I had a bad induction experience with Savannah (she was induced for other reasons - I wasn't on blood thinners for her) which just makes me dread doing it again....but goal is healthy baby so I'll do whatever I have to even if I'm not excited about it.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; June 18th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
June 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad she is looking good! I'm sorry that the u/s's give you anxiety, I totally understand.

As far as induction, what was terrible about the experience? Was it just too early? Did they try cervadil or the foley bulb, etc or just pitocin? I hope that this time around is much better than the last!

June 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm curious about the induction with Savannah, too. There's a story there!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search