Love-Hate relationship with my fetal doppler.

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By momof8lopez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I play around with my doppler maybe once a week once every other week to see if I can get a bpm reading. I haven't been told the bpm at any of my appointments and always forget to ask. My first appointment the ultrasound tech was having a hard time getting her measurements and I was on edge thinking there was something wrong, possibly no heart beat at all because the tech was making distressed faces. When she finally turned the screen to show me the heart flickering I was so happy to see it beating I didn't ask how many bpm it was. Then during my second appointment my Dr tried getting a reading on the doppler and couldn't find anything so I had a quick ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. When I was told baby was fine and moving around I forgot to ask again about the bpm!! Ugh!!!

Anyways, when I use my doppler *sometimes* I can hear a heart beat other than my own but it is too faint to pick up an actual bpm rate on the screen. FINALLY on Monday (with a full bladder) I very clearly and loudly heard baby's heart pounding away, and the doppler screen bounced between the numbers 166-168 bpm, eeeek!! That same day I decided I wanted to record a video of it so I tried again on an empty bladder and couldn't find the heart beat at all!! Arrrrg

This whole doppler business is tricky and frustrating!! But when you finally do hear that little heart galloping away it's so amazing, you can't help but smile from ear to ear.

I think I have asked a million times, but when can you find the heart beat without having a full bladder?

July 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had a full bladder when I would find Jacob's heartbeat so I'm sure you can find it without a full bladder. With Jacob everytime I would find his, he would move so then I would lose it. It was very frustrating. maybe this little guy is just hiding and that's why you can't find it. I know Jacob was always really low this early. Are you checking really low?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 9th, 2013, 08:34 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never used a doppler so I can't help much. :/
But my doc always had to check right next to the pubic bone for the early months with this little one. He liked to hide under it at first until he got bigger.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At 13wks, your either too low or too high when trying to find it. I would start at the pubic bone and go up in small amounts. If you hear a "needle scratching" sound (like a record player when the record gets scratched) thats the baby moving. I usually found my baby at this stage about 2 inches off the pubic bone, with an empty bladder. With a full bladder I'd find it even higher. At 13wks, they are bouncing everywhere, but usually in the same location. sorry its so frustrating, it will get easier!
melissalaw likes this.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I check low and only on my right side. There is really no point to look around on my left side at all because I can feel that it's still pretty empty over there (if that makes sense). I also know if I go above my belly button that's way too high to be looking. Yesterday when I found the hb it was to the right of my belly button about 4 inches down, so pretty low, but above my pubic bone still.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search