Headaches during pregnancy

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 1 Post By Sunrise
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2013, 07:06 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did anybody else get really bad headaches during pregnancy? What did you do to help with the pain?

I've been getting really bad headaches the past few days and I'm one of those people that refuses to take medication during pregnancy so I have just been suffering through the pain. This is the first pregnancy where I've had headaches. I read where they can be common during pregnancy, just not common for me I guess. I'm wondering if I'm not drinking enough water and that is leading to the headaches. I've been so sick that water just makes me gag but i'm trying to drink it and hopefully getting hydrated better will help with the headaches.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you're getting dehydrated, it could definitely be that. If it gets bad enough, you could always see if you need fluids by IV, and if that helps, then you have your answer as to what's causing it.
Is it a migraine? I don't think there's much you can do, except Tylenol, and maybe try laying down in a dark room. Sometimes ice to the temples might help some. If it's a tension headache, then a heating pad on your neck might help.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I can say is Tylenol, but that never helps me. I had some headaches here and there during pregnancy, they were more tension related. I just tried to stretch here and there which helped a little bit. I also used the heating pad if I was at home, that never helped me, except for for the back pain...lol! Worth a shot though!

I hope you find some relief. Perhaps this is a girl
melissalaw likes this.

July 19th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks ladies. I think I will try a heating pad when I get home. I have been drinking alot more today and it seems to be a bit better so hopefully that was all it was.

July 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Remember that if you can't drink water- skim milk, seltzer or sugar free options are good ways to rehydrate. Best of luck!
melissalaw likes this.

July 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I have gotten a few this pregnancy and I'm like you Melissa, I just don't do the medicine thing while pregnant. Drinking water did help one of the times my head was hurting. I have also taken a cool bath (not cold but barely warm just to cool my body off) and that helped slightly. Honestly drinking water and eating a snack are the only things that really helped, otherwise I just suffer through it if it didn't go away, but that's just me.

Tylenol never helps me with headaches anyways so that's another reason why I choose not to take it. I'm sure it's a life saver for some ladies.
July 19th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Tylenol doesn't do crap for me either. The only time I take it is when I've already taken Advil and it doesn't seem to be helping, sometimes layering them can help kick it--but I know you can't take Advil during pregnancy (which sucks majorly!).

July 20th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Sometimes a little caffeine along with the Tylenol can help boost its effectiveness. That's the only difference between Tylenol and Excedrin, is added caffeine.

July 22nd, 2013, 07:04 AM
Well it must have been that I wasn't drinking enough because I have made it a point to stay really hydrated. I picked up some sparkling water that I have been able to drink and some lemonade. those seem to be keeping me hydrated and thankfully the headaches are gone.
EverydayJoy likes this.

July 22nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'm so glad you're feeling better!
melissalaw likes this.

July 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Melissa - I'm so happy to see you are expecting! We spent some time on the TTC board together last year. I'm lurking here and saw your post. I have been a migraine sufferer for a very long time and had terrible migraines with my last pregnancy.

Please don't suffer through them. I tried that and ended up in the ER 3x. I recommend contacting your OB or get together with a neurologist who can get a script for safe meds that will stop the headache.

I hope you find relief soon!

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search