Boundaries.....

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By momof8lopez
  • 2 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By sandel07

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
I have a question and be honest.

Just before the 4th of July I said to my fiancée....I think your mom is great and I have never had any issues with her, but I hate it when she takes Ella out of my arms without asking to hold her or having her offered (and I do offer her to his mom). I then asked him not to say anything to her, I was just sharing my feeling. Well we went camping with his parents and sister and her family. The first night we were all sitting around the picnic table and his mom looked as if she couldn't stand me (she had always been very kind and friendly with me) ....So I knew that he said something to her, I later asked him if he had and of course he did tell her that it bothers me. Well the rest of the weekend she wouldn't even talk to me and of course wouldn't ask to hold Ella. Fast forward to this past weekend...we are at his sisters house for her bday, I made a point to stand right next to his mom with Ella. The entire time I was there she kept her back to me....then when I stepped in the house I passed Ella off to my fiancée, and I swear the minute I was out of sight he handed Ella off to his mom.

We have had a couple arguments about this and he just says that I need to work it out with his mother....now here is my question or 2 questions. A)am wrong to want someone to ask permission to hold my child, even if it is his mother? B) is it really my place to fix anything? How would I even start that conversation? I am not acting any differently and I certainly am not ignoring her.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

July 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I'd like someone coming up to me and taking my baby out of my arms, either, even if it was my MIL. Even my own mother will ask or wait for me to offer with my baby. She doesn't just come over and commandeer him when she's with me.
I don't think you should have to work it out with your MIL--it was your husband's fault she is hurt now. I think he has put you in a very awkward position and that's not fair to you. I don't have any suggestions, but I'm sorry it's like this!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
This exact same thing happened with DH's parents. It must be their personality, because it didn't seem to hinder them from asking and my biggest thing, giving her back when I asked for her. I guess it will take a conversation with her to set things straight.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 25th, 2013, 08:30 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I must be getting old, lol, cause I see myself doing that to my own kids! I think its just some peoples personality and excitement that get in the way. Its wonderful she loves her grandbaby so very much, that part warms my heart. I guess at this point, just let her know how much you LOVE the fact that she adores her grandchild, and you WANT her to hold the baby as much as she want's to......but it just feels weird to have someone just GRAB the baby out of your arms like that. Let her know you would like to have some sort of warning, lol.....so you dont get freaked out next time! My feelings would not be hurt at all if my DIL said that to me, in fact, I'd totally respect her awesome mother instinct! Sounds like DH probably did not word it the right way, like most men would not, and she has only heard "my wife does not like you holding the baby". I would bet my last dollar on this!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 26th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof6lopez View Post
I must be getting old, lol, cause I see myself doing that to my own kids! I think its just some peoples personality and excitement that get in the way. Its wonderful she loves her grandbaby so very much, that part warms my heart. I guess at this point, just let her know how much you LOVE the fact that she adores her grandchild, and you WANT her to hold the baby as much as she want's to......but it just feels weird to have someone just GRAB the baby out of your arms like that. Let her know you would like to have some sort of warning, lol.....so you dont get freaked out next time! My feelings would not be hurt at all if my DIL said that to me, in fact, I'd totally respect her awesome mother instinct! Sounds like DH probably did not word it the right way, like most men would not, and she has only heard "my wife does not like you holding the baby". I would bet my last dollar on this!
I agree with this so much! How many times have we all told our DH's a simple message that gets confused or mixed up because he changes around the words!

MIL needs to know that it is not that she is holding the baby. It's that she's yanking with no warning!

I think you may have to call her and just tell her you think DH was confused ... And that of course you love her relationship with your LO, you're just not used to people taking the baby without a heads up.

Good luck! In law issues suck.... I've had my share, LOL.
July 26th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I agree with all of the above.

I also have my share of in-law drama and often wonder why are they so immature?? I don't think I will ever understand. Good luck with it!!!
EverydayJoy and AnnaBonana like this.

July 26th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't like that either. And, I'd be clear with DH that I'm his partner not his mom then, once I've vented- I'd probably sit with him and her together to clarify.

Best of luck.

July 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy

And I'm sorry you are having to deal with any of that!

July 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof6lopez View Post
Lori hit the nail on the head. I think this is great advice. This is what I would do. She is right your fiance' probably did not word it right.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone....as I much as I hate the thought of starting this conversation it looks like I once again will have to be the bigger person.
Ame C likes this.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search