Labor and delivery for 2+ time mommies

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By momof8lopez
  • 1 Post By momof8lopez
  • 2 Post By AimeeD041727

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Tell me about your laboring and delivery. Was the 2nd+ time easier than the first one? Was it faster? How long were you in transitional labor?

I was in transitional labor for about 4 hours and only pushed for 30 mins. That all seems pretty fast to me and I was curious if that means this next time could be even faster? I know all pregnancies are different and there are a lot of varying factors involved, but I can't help but wonder how labor/delivery changes the more times you have been through it.

July 27th, 2013, 11:00 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, my first labor went pretty fast, I was induced though. I went from 5 cm dilated to 10 in 45 minutes with that one. 45 minutes of pushing, and Ethan was out.

With Kody, I showed up at the hospital because I went to a doctor appointment and was already 5 cm! I wanted to get things moving, so they broke my water, that got labor going, and I had Kody about 3 hours later. DH says he thinks I pushed for an hour. But it didn't seem that long to me. At the same time, it didn't seem like 45 minutes with Ethan, so...it's very possible it was an hour. But the contractions didn't really get difficult to handle until I was about a 9. It was definitely "faster" by my estimations, at least in the pain department! It was still every bit as painful during pushing. But the contractions seemed much more manageable even though it was still a pretty fast progression. Well, I wasn't induced with Kody, so that could be part of it, but...anyway, take from that what you will! I think generally a second labor is supposed to be faster/easier.

I think the difference I can see from the two labors was in the earlier labor. With Ethan, although I was induced, it seemed to progress slowly and I felt it a lot more. With Kody I didn't even realize I was in labor. I had been having the same crampy feelings I'd been having for weeks, with no apparent progress, but meanwhile I dilated to a 5 like that. The end part went pretty similar...fast transition and pushing was about the same time.
Ame C likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; July 27th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
July 28th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I had a feeling being induced makes the contractions super painful. With my labor nothing was hurting at all until I got the induction shot. Then my pain was honestly out of control. My breathing was crazy... I couldn't sit still, I remember telling DH I couldn't do it and to take me home. DH was like... yea as soon as you step out into the hallway they are going to make you lay back down. I knew I couldn't leave. That wasn't an option, but the pain was awful!!!

I have mentioned several times that my dr wants to induce me around 38 weeks this time. I really want to avoid being induced period. I want to do whats best for baby, but I fear the pain being induced brings with it. I didn't get an epi before and I want to avoid one this time also. I guess the closer I get to the end the more worries start to come to the surface. I pray I go into labor on my own right around 38 weeks and can avoid being induced! Oh please, please!!!

July 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Induction is not so bad when the put the epi in at the same time, lol. I had one with my 5th, and it was a BEAUTIFUL experience.....never felt one iota of pain!

As for faster labors/transitions, I think some of mine were after the first, and some were not. Every labor is certainly different for sure, and knowing what to expect the second time around is half the battle. (mentally anyway)
missy123 and Ame C like this.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 28th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I agree with the "knowing what to expect the 2nd time is half the battle." I think I'm a lot less worried about the labor/delivery part now that I know kind of what to expect. I imagine it will go smoother this time, unless something unexpected occurs.

How about as far as WHEN you went into labor? Does that part happen sooner? Like for example, first baby comes at 40 weeks, second at 39 weeks and so on.

I know that doesn't always hold true, but does that seem to be the case with anyone here?

July 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I hope it is easier the second time. M was sunny side up and just big so I was fully dilated for 8 hours but she was stuck. So I got pit to make the contractions stronger and she was born via forceps. I truly hope the next time is easier. I went into labor on my due date as well.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 28th, 2013, 09:54 AM
As for the sooner part, Ethan was induced at 40 weeks because of low amniotic fluid, I never even went into labor with him so I don't know how late he would have been had we left him alone. My feeling is he probably would have gone as long as 2 weeks overdue. He was 6lbs 8 oz so a little thing.
Kody was 5 days overdue, and might have gone a day or two more if they hadn't broke my water to get things moving.

Amy--what about, if you do have to be induced, talk to your doctor about you having more control over the Pit process. For example, if you can get labor started with the Pit, see if they'll let you turn it down and let natural labor take over. Keep in mind, hospitals have certain mind-sets about how long labor is supposed to take, whereas real labor can go longer than that safely.
There was a book I read that I thought helpful called "Homebirth in the Hospital" by Stacy Marie Kerr.
From that book and others I read about natural child birth, I have seen where docs have practices that are counterproductive to real labor, such as turning up the Pit as high as they safely can so that they can go home sooner. Not all doctors are like that. Another practice I have heard of that I'm horrified by, is called "Pit to distress." The doctor sees that the induced labor is taking too long for his liking, and he wants to go home, so he cranks up the Pitocin until the baby goes into fetal distress. Bada boom, bada bang--now Mama needs a C-section, and the doc gets to whip the baby out and go home. Isn't that awful?!? Now of course not every doctor does that, but enough have done it that there's a name for it.
Anyway, reading things like that make me see that we DO have a lot more power over what happens to us and our babies than we think. I would recommend a doula, too, because they can advocate for you when you are in the throes of labor.
Good luck Amy!

July 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
That's awful....

And i don't really trust my dr

July 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My baby's came at all different times, first one at 39wks, then 40w5d, then 39, then 38.3, then induced at 39wks, then 38w6d, then 37w3d. I don't think they hold a pattern of early/late. Mine were all pretty much full term.
missy123 likes this.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 28th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame C View Post
That's awful....

And i don't really trust my dr
I would start looking around if you can! It's best if you can get one that you feel is on your side! Of course you already know that...do what works best for you.
I had a good experience with my birth with Kody, meanwhile, I felt that my doctor was rather incompetent, always referring me out for everything, and I didn't like her very much for being a high-risk pregnancy. I feel that she'd be better with the regular doctor stuff, like the sniffles, broken bones, or headaches etc. Anyway it was still a great birth and I don't think she detracted from that at all. She pretty much just stood back and let me do my thing which was what I wanted. So I guess sometimes you can still have a good experience even if you don't like your doctor.

It must be hard being in the place you are, because if you didn't have the fear of a stillbirth, you could just let your body go into labor when it wanted to and get the kind of birth you're looking for. But with what happened with your first, you must be terrified it could happen again. Between a rock and a hard place!!

July 29th, 2013, 06:42 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Gianna was born at 38 weeks. My water broke and we went to the house. They had to start me on Pitocin because I wasn't having contractions. I also got an epidural. I was in labor for 7 hours with 20 minutes of pushing.

Sofia was born at 39 weeks 5 days. I was having regular contractions but they were all in my back. When I got to the hospital, the doctor broke my water. I had her 10 minutes later. Needless to say it was completely natural.

Tessa was born at 37 weeks 4 days. I was having contractions. Went in and got an epidural. BIG MISTAKE!!! I ended up having an adverse reaction and my blood pressure dropped really low and I started losing consciousness. They made everyone including my husband leave the room. It almost turned into an emergency situation. She was born after 4 hours of labor and 4 good pushes.

Santino was stubborn! I had to be induced with him at 39 weeks 6 days. I went completely natural accept for the Pitocin. I had him within two hours of starting the medicine. Pushed for 5 minutes.

If I was going to do it again, it would be natural. I felt so much better afterwards. I was up getting a shower within 45 minutes of having him. I didn't take any pain meds after.
missy123 and Ame C like this.

July 29th, 2013, 07:09 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with both of my little boys.

With Jackson my dr broke my water at 7:30 and he was born at 2:33 so it did go pretty quickly. I did get an epi with him and pushed for about 30 minutes. I had no problems with his delivery at all. it all went great.

Jacob was an entirely different story. My dr broke my water with him at 9:30. I was already 3 cm dialated though so it went quickly. I got an epi with him but the dr screwed up and nicked my spine so spinal fluid started leaking out, plus the I swear he gave me too much medicine with the epi because I couldn't move any of my body. Absolutely terrible. I had lots of problems pushing Jacob out so dr used vacuum to get him out and he was born at 12:30. I ended up with a spinal headache because of the problems with the epi. this is why I will not have another one. I know I was one of those rare cases where something like this happens but it was terrible and I wouldn't do it again. Other than the epi I don't think I would have had any problems with this delivery.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
July 30th, 2013, 07:16 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine were all different... My 3 boys were all born at around 42 weeks. I had no epidurals - back then they were not widely used and a more natural approach was the "norm"... I did have Demerol for pain with my first 2 which only made me throw up. 1st labor 37 hours, 2nd 18 hours, and 3rd 9 hours so they did get shorter.

With Scarlett I was induced at 39 weeks as I had concerns about my age and placental function ect... They gave me something to help me sleep as I was not progressing at all which totally knocked me out and made me so fuzzy... I remember waking up screaming in pain but I was so out of it from the sleep meds that I couldn't do my breathing or focus or anything - just scream. So that turned into an epidural. Time to push and I was still so out of it that she got stuck half way through the birth canal. The doctors/nurses all pushed my husband out of the way and some of them got on my stomach and physically pushed on me to try to get her out. Then a nurse yelled at me saying that if I did not push her out she could die. I sort of remember freaking out and somewhere, somehow I got out of that drug induced haze and pushed and did not stop for 3 whole minutes until she was born. I was still so drugged up that I could not even hold her for a few hours. I just wanted to sleep. For me - a natural birth is the way to go.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM
^^^ That sounds like a nightmare I'm glad everything turned out okay.

July 31st, 2013, 11:22 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I was induced at 40W3D with Josiah, and had a very hard labor that resulted in c/s. Through the whole process I ended up with 2 epi's (the 1st 20 minutes before I started pushing, the 2nd in the OR), a spinal, and being put under on the table. I was really sick after he was born and barely remember his first week. Jamison's birth was so different. I went into labor at 36W3D, and had a drug free vbac, which was NOT what I had expected for his birth! We had a planned c/s scheduled! He was a nicu babe, so the whole experience was entirely different. I felt calmer with Jamison's birth because I recognized some of my body's labor cues, especially as I was nearing transition. My labor up until transition was really different with him because I had a posterior cervix, so even though I was dilating, I wasn't getting the hard contractions. It was very strange! Then, BAM, I transitioned and started pushing. Both boys weighed in an ounce apart from each other, but the labors themselves couldn't have been more different.

August 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with both girls, my body was not getting the hint. I was having contractions, but not really progressing past a certain point. With Reagan, I went to 1 cm and was stuck there for 5-6 weeks, they induced me, I got the epi at around 9 cm after being given Stadol, I pushed for almost 2 hours, she was born within 5.5 hours of the start of pit. They had to use a vacuum to help her get all of the way out, but the labor was too bad. With Addy, I chose not to have the narcotic, got the epi a little earlier, I think I was like 6 or 7 cm. As soon as they broke my water (before the epi), my contractions went from every 8 minutes or so down to every 2 and I went from about 3-4 cm to 7 cm within like 30 minutes, then to 10 within an hour and pushed for 10 minutes and she was out! Her birth was much easier, however, they had to give me meds to stop the bleeding, because I started to bleed heavily, luckily the first med worked and they didn't have to resort to the other kind. The hospital that I birthed in with both girls was great, all of the docs were great! I will have another epi with my next birth as long as my platelets behave, that almost caused me a natural birth.

I should also mention with Reagan, they used the foley bulb the night before to open my cervix to 4 cm because it seriously was not getting the hint...lmao!

I would talk to your doctor, voice your concerns, ask what they can do for you. If your doc won't listen and help you get what you want/need, maybe consider getting a new doc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search