Anyone interested in a bead exchange?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 3 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 3 Post By Ame C
  • 3 Post By BeckyBozeman
  • 3 Post By BeckyBozeman
  • 3 Post By momof8lopez
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 2 Post By Ame C

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I was snooping around in the January DDC (to see what they were up to)
I came across something that I must say is a wonderful idea!! If other people are interested, pregnant or not, I think this is something our group should try to do also.

The link to the thread
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ing-beads.html

:: a copy/pasted explanation from the thread ::
You get a volunteer to take a poll as to who all would like to participate. You count up how many want to and then give the number to the girls of the due date club. Like we have 25 girls participating so we are all buying 25 beads. Every girl will buy 25 beads that are the exact same bead and mail them to the volunteer that is keeping track of everything with a self addressed and stamped envelope included with them. The job of the volunteer is to either make the bracelets or just organize the beads and mail them back to everyone. Each person gets one bead from everyone that participated in order to have a reminder that we are all there for you during the time you deliver... (or for our loss group, during the ups and downs of your life journey.)

As far as the type of beads. They can be any kind that "you" like, just try to make sure all the beads you pick out look pretty much the same. Glass, metal, plastic, any kind of bead - maybe even one that represents you in a way. Try to keep the beads around half an inch in size that way they don't clash with one another. The person organizing all the beads will send a list telling us what bead was bought by who. That way when we get all our different beads sent back to us, we can tell which bead came from which mommy. I'm not sure if we should send all the beads made into a necklace/bracelet or just leave them loose in a bag for the receiving mommies to make what they prefer to make with them?

I love this idea and think it would be a great thing to help bond us closer together as a loss group, whether you are currently pregnant or not. Would anyone be interested in doing something like this?

I would have to talk to my DH about it to make sure it's okay, but I don't mind being the person who receives everyone's beads, organizes them, and ships them back out to everyone. Unless someone else wants to volunteer?

August 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I think that's a really neat idea. How fun! I'd be game for this, after my DH gets back home and gets paid.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 11th, 2013, 11:33 PM
^Great!
I just talked to DH and he said he doesn't mind if I am the bead organizer, so we have that covered. Now we just need to see how many people would be interested in doing this.
EverydayJoy likes this.

August 11th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Cool, I think it would be a lot of fun.

August 12th, 2013, 06:39 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that sounds like a great idea. Now just tell me where do you buy the beads at. I've never bought anything like that before.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
There are a few specialty stores where I live that only sell beads but if you don't have one of those, I'm sure hobby lobby, joan's fabric will have a small selection, or any type of craft store will have some. Wal-mart should have a small selection of them also but probably nothing super cute there (who knows I haven't looked at their beads in many many years).
melissalaw likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
We have a hobby lobby that I love so I should be able to get them there.

August 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I love you ladies and having a reminder of you all the time would be wonderful. I am game!
melissalaw, EverydayJoy and Ame C like this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I like the idea of making them into bracelets. Or even better, maybe keychains? I guess that would depend on if there are any fragile beads too that could get broken on a keychain (they see a lot of use). But I think a keychain to me would be something I'd see more often than a bracelet. I don't wear bracelets that often. And the keys get used almost every day
Ame C likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I was thinking since this seems to be a fairly small group, a key chain would make the most sense. It would be hard to make a pretty necklace or bracelet with only 4-5 beads. I will give it a few weeks and see how many people we can get to join in.

August 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd love to be part of something like this! I haven't been terribly active for the past few months, but we're gearing up to start TTC again and so I'll be around a lot more.

August 12th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Becky, I can't believe it's already to the point where you are thinking about TTC again! It seems like Regan was just born not too long ago!

August 12th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah me too Joy.... she's only 8 months, but I'd like to get our second one before I'm 40 and that will be in December of 2014. Plus I like the idea of having them close together... we'll see what happens though. Just got AF back (still exclusively breastfeeding) so who knows how long it will take! I've got baby fever though!! lol

August 13th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Hey more power to ya! It's just amazing how quickly they grow up!

August 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Count me in! I've seen this in other boards, but to be honest, I'd never do this in my DDC......I feel closer to you girls over here!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

August 15th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Good Luck Becky!! I hope you get pregnant quickly. It only took me a few cycles once I got AF back and I was still breastfeeding Jacob when I did get my BFP.
BeckyBozeman likes this.

August 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Anyone else think they might be interested?

August 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Bumping up!! When do you guys want to close this?

August 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
We can close it anytime. I'm thinking most the people who were interested probably posted a reply by now. I'm just hoping no one missed this thread completely who would like to join in.
melissalaw and EverydayJoy like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search