Fussy baby

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
...and that is an understatement! Yesterday and today, he is happy when he wakes up, but then when he gets tired, he gets really really fussy...eventually getting to where he's inconsolable and refuses to nurse as well. He will scream and scream and scream until he wears himself out and eventually goes to sleep after he has screamed himself silly. Then he wakes up happy again. It's so crazy, I have no idea what is wrong with him. Of course he has no fever and he's peeing and pooping fine, though, so if I take him in to the doctor they'll just tell me "sucks to be you." Oh, they'll be sympathetic, but they won't do anything for him. You know how it is with a little baby. Plus if you push to actually try to find out what's wrong, then it involves needles, catheterization, and other not-fun stuff which makes baby cry harder.
This evening we went to the fair, because DH and I promised Ethan we would go see monster trucks. I feel like it just about killed me, though, because Kody did his fussy routine about 3/4 of the way through the show. I took Ethan to the car with me, promising we would go back to the fair after I fed Kody. Of course Kody didn't want to eat and just screamed his fool head off. Finally I decided to just put him back in the sling carrier and hope he would calm down on the way back into the fair. He did, and fell asleep. Ethan and I finished up there and Ethan left happy, Kody woke up when I tried to put him back in the car. He was happy for about 10 minutes and then quickly went downhill into screaming himself hoarse on the way home. By the time we got home I was about to strangle someone out of frustration. I made him a bottle, since he was refusing to nurse, and thankfully he took it, then nursed afterwards and fell asleep. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 11th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Before I even looked at your ticker I was thinking "I bet he's 3 months old" and yepp! I can imagine it's frustrating but it's normal at 3 months and again around 6 and again around 8-9 months!!!

I tried to find the link that was posted in my PR but didn't see it. Apparently it has to do with hitting sensory overloads which happens with every baby around 3, 6 and 8-9 months old and usually lasts between 1-2 weeks (hang in there!!). Little baby's brain is developing and changing, allowing them to move onto their next learning milestones. I'm trying to explain it the best I can from memory, but basically it's totally normal and just what happens to baby when they are "growing up".

I'm sorry Kody is so fussy! I hope he will be his normal happy self very soon and I hope mommy doesn't lose her mind before then!
EverydayJoy likes this.

August 11th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Ah well, that is good to know, I think I can stand it better if I just know he's ok, you know? Just knowing he is just adjusting, and not in pain or hurting or sick, makes it easier.
See, I had heard kids can get fussy around the 3 month mark, but I had a fussy couple of days with him last week, and then some nice days, so I had thought I'd already passed that. Hah, silly me! So when it continued, I wondered if there was something really wrong with him.
Thanks for at least putting my mind at ease! I think I can last another week if I have to!
Ame C likes this.

August 11th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Here's a good explanation for it, Amy--I was just reading about this the other day!
What are mental leaps? - The Wonder WeeksThe Wonder Weeks
Ame C likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
That's right. Just give him some extra cuddles and kisses from all of us, and I'm sure in the next few days he will be looking at things in a whole new baby-prospective

As long as he's eating, potty-ing, and not running a fever, gassy or pulling on his ears, he is fine just going through mental developments.
Sweetpea24 and EverydayJoy like this.

August 12th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Thank you, Amy!
Ame C likes this.

August 12th, 2013, 06:36 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joy, Jacob went through the exact same thing. I think he was around 3 months old but he was basically fussy all day long. it was terrible. I took him the dr. I was crying, he was screaming and the dr was trying to calm us both down. Of course they just diagnosed him with colic and said that it should get better. Well that didn't help at that moment. I would just sit and nurse him all day long and that was the only thing that would help. Since Kody is refusing to nurse that probably won't help you much. it didnt' last long for Jacob so hopefully it won't last long with Kody.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 13th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry he's so fussy! Sounds like you got some great advice. If he will take a bottle and the bottle helps him settle and fall asleep- I'd carry one for these "fussy emergencies". I also wanted to suggest trying him in the stroller, even just back and forth. Finally, consider cradling him securely in your arms while standing up and rocking side to side while moving him up and down. Infants appreciate distraction and sometimes rhythmic movements help to distract. Warning- this will feel like a work out for you! Sore quads is a much better feeling than the mental anguish of your baby crying and feeling like you can't "fix it". Hope this stage passes quickly!!

August 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Joy how has Kody been? Any better? Hopefully it will just last a few days and he will be over it. I've been thinking of you guys and hoping everybody is ok.

August 13th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice, Sunrise! My first was extremely fussy so I did a lot of bouncing, rocking, swinging, dancing, and swooshing with him. Hah. I found muscles I didn't know existed!

Melissa, he's doing ok. Yesterday was a little better. I found he does take the bottle sometimes when he won't nurse, so that helped a little. This morning he woke himself up early and started his cranky routine right off the bat so that was hard. Usually he'll wake up happy and I can have my morning cup of tea and relax a bit first. But he finally fell back asleep an hour and a half later. He was refusing the boob and the bottle this morning. I almost called the doc, but as far as I know, if Kody doesn't have a fever or any other symptoms, the only thing they can look for is an ear infection. Or, I suppose, a red throat or something. But he isn't acting sick--just really fussy. So my guess is there's no point to going to the doctor. I would hate to go in and just be told he's perfectly fine. Waste of time, and energy. So I'll just wait it out a bit more and hope it's just that fussy phase.

August 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Yes he doesn't sound sick. he's not cutting any teeth already is he? I know mine would refuse to eat sometimes when they were cutting teeth. Although he is a little young for that so that's probably not it. I would just stick it out a few more days if he's not running a fever or pulling at his ears. I hope he gets better soon for you.

August 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM
If he is cutting teeth, I can't tell. It's possible, but pretty early compared to Ethan. Ethan didn't cut his first tooth until he was 10 months old. I'm hoping Kody will hold off a little bit longer, I'm not sure how nursing with teeth is going to go! We ended up weaning Ethan at the advice of his pedi at 8 months, so I never did nurse with any teeth with him.

August 13th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I nursed Jacob after he got his teeth and we only had one incident where he bit me and it hurt terribly but I sternly said no and I think I hurt his feelings because he never did it again. The way they hold there mouth to drink the milk keeps them from biting you. they have to intentionally bite your for that to happen so I wouldn't worry too much about teeth.

August 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went through the same thing with my son. I eventually had to pump my milk and bottle feed it to him because he just hated to nurse.

I hope he settles down for you! It's so frustrating when they can't tell you what's wrong!

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
August 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Melissa--thanks, that's good to know. My sister said when her kids would bite down, she would just say "OUCH!!" really loud and it would scare them and they'd stop.

Leia, that's just what I'm doing! Bottle feeding seems to work for now. Most of the time, anyway!

August 15th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joy how is Kody doing today? Hope he's not as fussy as he has been. Are you guys getting any sleep?

August 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hey Melissa, thanks for asking. He still is Mr. Fussy Pants, but it seems like I'm getting to where I can figure out how to help him stop crying. It may take a lot of work, but it's better than him screaming a lot, like he was. I think it's a bit better, though.
At night he is sleeping fine, I mean he wakes up every 2 hours but that's normal for him. But lately I've been staying up late trying to unwind (11pm or midnight) and so I end up tired when Kody wakes up for the day at 7:30 am. That amount of sleep would be fine, if it weren't for the wakeups.

August 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Well I'm glad that you are figuring out to help calm him down. I understand about staying up too late to unwind. Some night I spend all night taking care of the boys and have no time to my self so when I do finally get them in bed I need some me time to unwind and relax.
EverydayJoy likes this.

August 16th, 2013, 09:10 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
ok this is a long shot but if it's not teething (and Savannah started really young, like around 3 1/2 months herself - she had 4 teeth I think by 6 months) is it possible that he's having gas/abdominal discomfort? Savannah's was so bad she was beyond fussy and nothing I did helped (diet wise, as I was nursing her) until our pedi had us try adding a probiotic to her BM bottle each day...I had been worried she had colic or acid reflux, but pedi didn't think so and wanted to try the probiotic first and seriously it was like a MIRACLE, within 2 days she had mostly stopped fussing/refusing to nurse and within a week or so she was like a new baby.
melissalaw and EverydayJoy like this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
August 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Jackson was on a probiotic also when he was a baby for gas and stomach problems. Good call Lara. I hadn't thought of that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search