Question about caffeine and salt and nausea?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't drink alot of caffeine, just one cup of tea in the morning. I also, do not cook with or eat alot of salty foods.

However, since this pregnancy started, Caffeinated drinks and salty foods seem to be the only thing that settles my stomach. I'm distressed over this since I'm afraid I'm going to hurt the baby and myself.

I've eaten more french fries in the past week than in the past 3 years. And I never drink soda, ever, but I'm sipping Coke at least twice a day to settle my stomach.

Any ideas to help curb the nausea? It's literally 24 hours a day, even in the middle of the night. I was actually sucking on potato chips to keep from vomiting over the weekend. I think I pickled my lips.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
August 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Peppermint or chewing gum helped me (slightly) during my super nauseated times. I hear fresh ginger helps, chewing on it, but I have never tried. De-shelled sunflower seeds helped me SOMETIMES during my first pregnancy, but I got the unsalted kind just because at the time salt made me extra thirsty and it was hard enough keeping any liquids down. I think it's the vitamin B in the sunflower seeds, if I'm remembering correctly, that helps so probably anything else with high vitamin B? Ouch about the pickled lips comment!! Yikes!!

August 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was the same way, as long as you aren't drinking more than 200mg of caffeine a day, you should be fine. Have you tried ginger ale as an alternative? Maybe it is the fizz and not the caffeine? As for the salt, try saltines, I think they make low sodium ones, so you can still get some salt, just not as much. That might help. Also, with DD2, I tried half a unisom and Bnatals (a B6 supplement for pregnant women), it is essentially the same thing that you can get in script form, but my sickness wasn't bad enough to need that. It helped, but ask your doc first, this is what my doc recommended, but I would not try it unless you consult with your physician first. I hope it stops soon, I remember how miserable that was!

August 12th, 2013, 07:18 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried Sprite instead of Coke or if you have to have Coke then maybe get the caffeine free kind. I think one can of coke a day would be ok. I'm drinking one cup of sweet tea each day. I crave it so I let myself have one cup. I bought some decaf this weekend so I'm going to try to drink that instead. As far as the salt I don't have another suggestion. Just do what you need to do to get through the first few weeks. Once you hit the second trimester you can start eating better and cut out the salt.

I have had a really hard time with nausea and just eat what I can and let me tell you it's not all been good for you stuff. Actually most of it has been bad for you stuff.

Just think all that nausea is a great sign, that's what I keep telling myself to get me through it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that for some women the dark soda like Coke or Pepsi helps with the m/s. Have you tried looking for a decaffeinated version?
As for the salt, drinking plenty of water (if you can) will help flush out the excess salt you're eating. As far as I know, eating a lot of salt just makes your kidneys work harder to filter it out. What about talking to your doctor just to make sure it won't hurt the baby? Also, he or she might give you an Rx for something to help with the nausea.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
August 13th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks ladies for the suggestions! I tend toward the caffeinated sodas because of my headaches. I get them alot, and caffeine helps keep them at bay. I tried a little clear soda yesterday and it did help a bit, so I will try that again today.

Dry toast is helping too.

Wife to Big Bull 40

August 13th, 2013, 09:11 AM
One more suggestion---try to back off the caffeine slowly. If you cut it out too fast you'll get bad headaches again. I'm sure you already know that though

August 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Yes I learned the hard way years ago when I worked for a coffee company! The soda I'm drinking these past few weeks is literally just a sip or two during the day. Not even equal to a 1/4 cup. I'm so afraid of over doing the caffeine.

Today I got away with just one sip, but I'm SO nauseous, I'm really having a tough time. I welcome it though, at least I know the hormones are still present.

Wife to Big Bull 40

August 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Well I wouldn't worry too much about just a few sips a day. I drank one cup of tea every day throughout my pregnancy. But I understand your fear too, you can find articles to tell you it's bad and articles to tell you it's ok. It's tough to know what's right.

August 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
One entire can of Coke doesn't even come close to the "maximum allowed caffeine", so a couple of sips are okay I know with all of the misleading information out there, it is hard to determine what is okay and what isn't. Just go with your gut, if you need to drink a few sips of Coke and you feel okay with it, I say do it. I have had 2 healthy girls and drank 1 can of soda every day almost, throughout both pregnancies. Or, switch to half caff coffee, I did a little of that some days instead. I hope the headaches go away and you start to feel less nauseous soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search