How long do you let fussing go on?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kody has been out of sorts for probably 2 weeks. Whenever he gets tired (or sometimes even after just waking up) he will scream, and scream, and refuse to nurse, or take a bottle. I thought I had him figured out, but he is getting worse. How long do you just try to wait it out before you take them in to the doctor? The last couple days my patience has worn out and I end up just laying him down to cry by himself many times. I feel bad because he's got real tears and is obviously being bothered by something but there's nothing I can do for him. Today is definitely a "FML" worthy day.
I just don't want to go to the doctor and have them not be able to do anything. That would just piss me off more.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; August 21st, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
August 22nd, 2013, 02:28 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Yikes... maybe you should go ahead and take him to the dr? Even if they don't see anything wrong with him at least you will know. I mean who knows, maybe there is something wrong and he's not feeling good? Poor little guy and poor mommy. I hope everything is okay. I can imagine you feel pretty fed-up and helpless not knowing what he's crying over. It can't be a good feeling, not at all

August 22nd, 2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks Amy, maybe I will take him in today. Can't hurt anyway!

August 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joy I agree I would take him in. I'm just wondering if he is in some kind of pain and that is what all the crying is about. I think this has gone on way too long for it to be nothing. I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time. We had just a few days like that. I can only imagine 2 full weeks of constant crying. That is enough to make anybody crazy. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 22nd, 2013, 06:25 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
I agree with the other ladies. He could just be a colicky baby but it could be something more. He could be having a reaction to something that you are eating. Hope you get some answers!

August 22nd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks ladies. Waiting for the doc's office to open now.
AimeeD041727 and melissalaw like this.

August 22nd, 2013, 05:01 PM
I decided against the doctor's office today. I just couldn't make myself do it. I was too exhausted to deal with Ethan running around like crazy and getting into everything, like he seems to always do at a doctor's office. And I knew that they just won't find anything wrong with him. All they do is weigh him, measure, check ears, heart, lungs, and take his temperature. If he's not visibly ill there's nothing they can do. Well, even when babies are visibly ill there's usually still nothing they can do, except to say give them Tylenol. Besides, he is getting a re-check on his kidneys at Doernbecher's Children's hospital this coming Tuesday. I trust them to be much more thorough than my doctor's office. I don't have much faith in them, sorry to say.

I guess Kody's history and my own medical history doesn't give me much faith in doctors. My mom knew there was something wrong with me from a baby on forward, but no one listened to her till I was 3 years old. Then, lo and behold, your daughter has a kidney problem. Meanwhile, they'd kept telling her, "Babies just cry" whenever she'd try to bring me in.
And with Kody, if I really wanted to do anything serious to find out what's wrong, it would involve xrays, getting stuck with a needle to take blood (which they have to do on Tuesday anyway), and/or catheterizing him to check his urine. They say they can't get accurate urine samples unless they do it by catheter only. No other options. And I refuse to put my baby through additional pain just so they can tell me they don't know what's wrong with him. Or to say he has nothing wrong and the problem is me---I'm not coping well enough. Really, that's all it boils down to anyway---I'm the problem. If I was able to handle it ok, there'd be no problem.

August 22nd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh so many hugs!

I don't really have any advice, but I will say that so many times I've been scared off of the doctors for similar sort of reasons. Tuesday is close but also far away when you have an unhappy baby.

I hope things improve while you wait to see the doctor on Tuesday.

((Hugs)) to you, I hope you're not really blaming yourself.
EverydayJoy likes this.
August 22nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks Anna, I do blame myself for not being able to handle it better. I also know that my patience isn't the best with this because I've already had to deal with it when Ethan was a baby, and I soooo did not want to go through it again with a second baby. So the fact that I am going through the same thing just galls me. Anyway, thanks for listening!

August 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you are going through this. Fussy babies are so hard. I remember, I had 2. That said, I wouldn't let a 3 month old baby cry himself alone. Something is clearly wrong, and it warrants a visit to the pediatrician. If you find answer, maybe it will help with the crying and fussing and help you all get some rest. Keep us posted.

Last edited by MamaRN; August 22nd, 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling error
August 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
I appreciate your input, MamaRN. Thing is, I've already been through this with his older brother. His older brother was exceptionally fussy (he had GER/GERD) for the first year of life, and from that I learned that if there's nothing measurably wrong with the baby---fever, low urine output, lack of BM's, pulling at ears, lung congestion, etc, then there's really nothing a doctor's office can do except offer their sympathy. And he's fine in all regards except for the screaming when he's tired.
Laying him down to "scream it out" is not my first choice, and it goes against my instincts, but my husband has been away for almost a month and I'm alone with two small children, one of which is a fussy baby. There are limits to what I can handle--hence laying him down and walking away.
He already has an appointment on Tuesday at Doernbecher's to recheck his kidneys, which we know have problems, so I prefer to just wait for the real pros to take a look at him. They'd be much more likely to spot any problems than my PCP would.

August 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joy I'm just so sorry that you are having to go through this again with Kody. I hate all the poking and prodding they do to babies also. We had to take Jacob to the hospital when he was 4 months old due to a very high fever and the catheter was terrible. He screamed and cried. Plus they did do some xrays and we had to hold him down which was awful. So I don't blame you at all for not wanting to go through that.

have you tried the probiotic yet? I just wonder if that would help at all. if I lived close to you I would come over and watch the boys and give you a break.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks Melissa. Yeah Kody has already been catheterized twice in his little life and I have no desire to go through that again. He did well for xrays though, I think he slept through them. Screamed for a kidney ultrasound. Anyway he's been through so much already, I hate to do anything unnecessarily.
I caught a nap yesterday afternoon and the rest of the day went better.
I haven't tried the probiotic, we don't have any $$ until Josh gets back on Sunday or Monday. I can try it out then.

August 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh hun, I'm so sorry you are going through this. You sound so frustrated and tired.

My MIL told me to never give water to a baby (in her unbelievable brilliant wisdom said that since water has no taste, babies don't know it's in their mouth and so they choke on it. And this woman managed to keep 5 children alive to adulthood). So as soon as she told me that, I ran to the water cooler and filled up a bottle with water and gave it to my son. It pacified him, helped with colic by easing his stomach and resolved his constipation.

I'm not saying that your baby has any of those issues, but don't be afraid to try something simple, even if it isn't remotely related to his symptoms.

Oh and also, I put on the original Disney Fantasia when my son was like 4 mos old and he was memorized. I think he was a little too much so, he was kind of like stoned from the colors and stuff, but it really soothed him.
EverydayJoy likes this.
New Baby Boy Born March 24. Our second miracle!
August 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
LOL about your son getting stoned from Fantasia. That's great! Haha.
Your MIL is hilarious. Be careful---they will choke! Hah. All you have to do is make the water something other than exact body temperature, and the baby will know it's in their mouth. Goofy lady.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search