Pregnant again after losses

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By isawastar
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By sweet.hun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello! I'm Miranda, and am halfway through week 9 with my fifth pregnancy. This is the longest I've made it, and the first time things have been going right. We're so excited!

My first miscarriage was in February 2009. I didn't track my cycle or anything at the time, but the best I could figure was I was around 5 weeks. The next was lost around 8 weeks December 4 2011. Then lost at 5 weeks on May 11 2011. Again on August 21 2011 around 8 weeks.

I've been using this app to track my cycle and try to get pregnant for over a year - the last three angels were tracked through it. It counts by days, and two of them were lost on day 61. The first, in December of 2011 I didn't know I was pregnant - I had thought that it was a possibility but thought I had my period and tested negative. The other, in August 2011, wasn't progressing correctly. When I should have been 6 weeks, I was showing 4 on the ultrasound. I miscarried shortly after my mom died.

After going from August of 2011 with nothing for so long, I had started giving up. It just didn't seem like it would happen again, but I started having symptoms before the end of my cycle. My friend urged me to get a test, and I took it while DH was napping... then woke him up with the positive test in his face LOL This was the first time I ever took a test that had a positive before the control line even came in! The little cub is doing great so far, even though I'm considered high risk because of my history, and is actually measuring 4 days ahead of schedule! Strong little heartbeat, and the doctor is very confident that this one will make it to term We are SO excited!
September 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Just keep breathing.
Big hugs and a warm welcome to you! I'm so sorry for your previous losses. It's such a hard thing to go through. I hope this new little bean is your rainbow, and keeps growing beautifully!

I'm 5 weeks into my fourth pregnancy (no living kids). Did you do any testing or anything to see if you could learn more about your previous losses?
September 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Welcome Miranda! I'm so sorry for your losses, we all know the pain of loss far too well. Congrats on your little one!

September 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Miranda!

I'm glad you are so excited. I hope everything keeps going great for you!
Sorry for your losses.
September 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Thank you everyone! :hugs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelChicago View Post
Big hugs and a warm welcome to you! I'm so sorry for your previous losses. It's such a hard thing to go through. I hope this new little bean is your rainbow, and keeps growing beautifully!

I'm 5 weeks into my fourth pregnancy (no living kids). Did you do any testing or anything to see if you could learn more about your previous losses?
I've had 20 vials of blood taken! Some of that was for the first trimester STD screening, some for an "ab panel" to look for common causes of miscarriage, like blood clotting disorders and honestly I don't know what all. All of those tests were negative, so they also did a MTHFR test - which was positive so I take a baby aspirin and extra folic acid. I also have a tilted uterus. The clinic that I had been going to told me to keep taking propanolol, a beta blocker I take to help migraines, and that causes issues because it slows heart rate down, so that was likely a problem as well.

The other place I had gone before just sort of shrugged everything off, but this place has been awesome in trying to make sure this little cub makes it. I was going in twice a week for a while, then once a week, and now am to bi-weekly visits!
September 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, and congrats on your pregnancy! That's so great that it's going so well after all you've been through. I wish you a H&H 9 months!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Welcome. Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months.

September 16th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm new to this part of the board, but wanted to say congratulations! We are in the same DDC
isawastar likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 08:31 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!! And congratulations on your pregnancy. Sounds like everything is going great! I'm so happy for you. This is a group of great ladies and we are glad you are joining us.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran

Hope you're in for good!!!

September 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Miranda! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you a healthy and happy 9 mos. I wanted to ask you about the Propanolol. I was on it for both my pregnancies / miscarriages and NOBODY picked up on it. I was on it for migraines too. I took myself off because I was afraid as a beta blocker, it could affect the pregnancy and all my tests came back negative so I had nothing else to point to.

How did you find out about the propanolol?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
September 16th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Miranda and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses.... It is such a devastating thing to go through. ((Hugs))

I'm glad to hear that this pregnancy is measuring well and that you are both healthy. I hooe everything c ti use well for you and baby!
September 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks so much again everyone! We had a scare this weekend, but it was more an overreaction on our part. I had a little blood, but it was so little we shouldn't have been alarmed. I told them that it always started little for me, though none of them blamed us for going to the ER. The bigger issue was my not being able to tinkle without considerable effort and pain, which the ER ignored. My OB did scans of my bladder and kidneys and will get back to me. Other than that, each appointment just gets better and with those cans we got to see the little stinker moving around like crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos Moo View Post
I'm new to this part of the board, but wanted to say congratulations! We are in the same DDC
Thanks, and yes! I recognized you immediately sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelila View Post
Welcome Miranda! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you a healthy and happy 9 mos. I wanted to ask you about the Propanolol. I was on it for both my pregnancies / miscarriages and NOBODY picked up on it. I was on it for migraines too. I took myself off because I was afraid as a beta blocker, it could affect the pregnancy and all my tests came back negative so I had nothing else to point to.

How did you find out about the propanolol?
When I went in for my first appointment they did an ultrasound and the heart rate of the baby was VERY low. I had taken myself off of all my other medications (topamax included) so that was all they had to look to. They were unsure as to whether the heart rate was so low because propanolol slows heart rate, or if it was because it had only started beating. She consulted with the other doctor, who told me to stop taking it, and I went back in two days to check the heart rate. The heart rate had doubled in the two days I hadn't taken it! They did have to put me on blood pressure medication though, because the propanolol had been masking an issue with that and it shot up after I stopped taking it.

This was the doctor who was at the clinic I had gone to previously, but I had never gotten to see him there. I followed him to his new clinic, because he hand-picked his staff and is supposed to be the best in the area. The other woman at the other place said she had checked with him about it before telling me to continue, but he said he's always had his patients stop taking it because it does cross the placenta and slows fetal heart rate.
September 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like things are going great

September 17th, 2013, 10:06 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Glad you found your way to this board.

You know how excited I am for you.
isawastar likes this.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
September 17th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! A H&H 9 months! I am so glad things are looking great!

Don't feel silly about going to the ER, little blood or a lot, after a loss it is totally natural. My SIL made me feel badly once when I went to the hospital because I was bleeding. She said that can be totally normal, I said it isn't normal when it is a lot of blood, luckily (or not so) it turned out to be a small clot that was near my cervix and baby was totally fine...that time. But, when you have experienced loss(es) there isn't a stretch, pull, "odd" thing that doesn't cause concern and worry is worse than feeling silly in my book So glad that it was nothing!

September 18th, 2013, 04:52 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How are your migraines this pregnancy? I'm back on just topamax, but a very low dose (50am 50 pm) and mine are manageable. Although yesterday's migraine was just horrible.

I have a very weird issue this pregnancy though, my ears are always plugging up! I don't know if that is because the dose of topamax isn't high enough or what.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
September 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
Congratulations! A H&H 9 months! I am so glad things are looking great!

Don't feel silly about going to the ER, little blood or a lot, after a loss it is totally natural. My SIL made me feel badly once when I went to the hospital because I was bleeding. She said that can be totally normal, I said it isn't normal when it is a lot of blood, luckily (or not so) it turned out to be a small clot that was near my cervix and baby was totally fine...that time. But, when you have experienced loss(es) there isn't a stretch, pull, "odd" thing that doesn't cause concern and worry is worse than feeling silly in my book So glad that it was nothing!
Thank you! I kept thinking about how some people would scoff over my running in, and how at another local hospital a doctor actually went off on me for taking my mom in for what he considered to be a non-emergency (funny thing though - he wouldn't talk to me after he realized she needed admitted). I couldn't help it though and had to go for peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelila View Post
How are your migraines this pregnancy? I'm back on just topamax, but a very low dose (50am 50 pm) and mine are manageable. Although yesterday's migraine was just horrible.

I have a very weird issue this pregnancy though, my ears are always plugging up! I don't know if that is because the dose of topamax isn't high enough or what.
I've only had one stress-induced migraine that hit during a very hard exam! Most of the time, when my head does hurt it seems to be sinus related - my allergies, asthma, and sinuses have been going crazy since I got pregnant and I seem to stay sick! The odd thing is, before I stopped topamax I was having more migraines again, though they weren't as strong as they had been before I started taking it. I stopped topamax cold turkey as soon as I found out about being pregnant because it had been cited several times in my intellectual/developmental psychology class this summer for causing heart problems, though their website only cites cleft lip as a possible side-effect. I was taking 50mg in the morning and another 50mg at night as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search