Wwyd? - Update on SIL and Baby

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My SIL was due 14 days ago with her first baby and for the last 4 months she has been refusing to get up out of the chair because her feet are swollen and they hurt. So she has not gotten any exercise. Now she's way overdue and for the last week has had no progress. No dilation. Not effaced. The baby has not dropped.

She still refused to walk around because it made the contractions start and they were too painful. So she laid down to get them to stop. She has gone to the hospital 4 times to get induced and nothing happened.

We all told her to get moving.

What would you have done if

1. You were her.

2. You were me.

While I was typing this up, I get a call that she's been back at the hospital since 6 AM this morning and they've been trying to induce her and they just broke her water. Doesn't that mean they have 24 hours to either get her dilated or give her a c-sec?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013

Last edited by lelila; October 2nd, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
September 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would *think* if I was that overdue I'd want to get the baby outta there I was you, I'm not sure there is much you can do, especially since she has been to the hospital 4 times before today. I do believe that is correct - 24 hours or then you start the risk of infection or something. So since her water has broke I'm sure they'll give her medicine to speed things along. Good luck to her.

September 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran
I agree with pp. my son was in the NICU (he was 10 weeks early) with babies because they were born late. 2 weeks or so +. I can't imagine not doing everything possible to get the baby out at that point.
September 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I was walking 3 miles a day for a couple of weeks to try and get DD to descend. I didn't care how much it hurt, I wanted the baby out.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I would of had a c-section at my last appt, it was over 2wks late and no progress, even after attempting 4 inductions? Something sounds horribly wrong with what the dr's are doing at this point. Obviously inductions for her are not working, which is the case for some women. I would be so scared of leaving the baby in that long. Praying that them breaking her water means she has dilated a bit since her last appt. If was still not dilated, I don't think they can break the bag of waters.......I've also never heard of a woman trying to stop labor either after being 2wks late.....painful contractions means that it is hopefully dilating and making changes!!
Nothing for you to do or say, each woman has their own preference for birth......just gotta pray she made the right choice and it worked!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

September 23rd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Yeh, I know I can't say anything. I want to shake that Dr by the throat though. So does DH. They dilated her and broke her bag. After meds for 12 hours she's only dilated 2 cm.

I was walking 2+ miles a day when I was 36 weeks with my son, and I did that every day until 40 wks when I had an emergency csec. I can't imagine not wanting contractions!

Being her first, and she's 35 yrs old and she's never done a thing on her own without her mother holding her hand, I bet she's pretty darn scared right now. I hope by morning she has her baby and everyone is safe and if she decides to get pregnant again, she fires that OB!

Wife to Big Bull 40

September 23rd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
There's no way I could walk several miles when I was 38 weeks pregnant. My pelvis was grinding together and hurting so bad. Not only did it grind and pop it felt swollen and inflamed. Cudos to those who can walk miles at a time that far a long. There's no way I could have. That being said, after I found out my son had passed, I was induced and only labored a few hours before he was born. I progressed super fast... it really sucks that she had so many issues with her progression. I bet that was super frustrating for her. Of course everyone wants their baby out. I hope all goes well and baby is born without any issues. That's a long time to be overdue, it must be hard!

September 24th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Any updates? You know, maybe she wanted a c/s. and thats ok too. Some people are afraid of birth- anyway, I hope mommy and baby are safe. Please kup!

September 24th, 2013, 08:13 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope her and her baby are ok. Please update us when you can. I know with both my prior pregnancies I exercised all the way through my pregnancies and was exercising up until the day baby was born. I was induced and I dilated very quickly both times.

I would have had dr do something 2 weeks ago or after the 4th induction. Hope all is ok.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 24th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Got an update this morning from MIL. SIL has had two epidurals in the past 16 hours. Two doses of pitocin. She's dilated 4cm now. Only 2 cm in the past 16 hours. The contractions come and go.

DH is out of his mind worried. He feels that no one is advocating for his sister, who is naive and doesn't understand the dangers that are present.

Wife to Big Bull 40

September 24th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Does she have a regular OB? I would certainly be talking to my OB about having a c-section at this point. It doesn't sound like she's going to progress on her own. I'm sure they are keeping a close watch on baby but I would just go ahead and c-section and get that baby out of there.

September 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say, sounds like she wanted a c-section. I hope the baby is safe and mommy is doing well now. My doctor won't let you go past 2 weeks, she doesn't like letting you beyond 1, but if you want she will and will just monitor you closely. Sometimes, like others have said, induction doesn't work. They tried pitocin with me with my first (one doc actually thought I was in labor and progressing, just not contracting "properly" so they started it, turns out that i hadn't dilated AT ALL past the 1 cm I had been), it didn't work for anything the first time, baby and my body just weren't ready. I was induced at 6 days past my due date using the Foley bulb and then pitocin and I was only in labor for 5.5 hours before she was born.

Ditto to Melissa, I would think that a c-section would be appropriate, but maybe baby is responding well to contractions? Sorry, i saw the update after I posted - took me a while to respond because I walked away from my computer

September 24th, 2013, 11:24 AM
She does have a regular OB, and as far as I'm concerned, her OB is a nitwit. Telling her that sushi, deli meats and salt are just fine and that she can eat anything she wants when she's preggo (and for a woman who is now 200 lbs overweight, at least tell her to limit salt).

The latest update is that the OB miscalculated SIL's due date and she is no longer overdue. WHAT?! No one miscalculates their due date these days. U/Ss are completely accurate. And even if they are off, they aren't off by 2 weeks or more. SIL was actively trying and knew the day of her LMP and her O date. There is no miscalculation.

Wife to Big Bull 40

September 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Eleanor-Abigail's Avatar Keep Calm and Baby Dance
Oh, WOW. She needs a 2nd opinion ASAP. I agree that due dates aren't off by 2 weeks these days - unless her OB is confusing her LMP and O dates? Still, you said she knows her dates so OB sounds like an incompetent idiot.

Isn't the reason why (usually) women aren't allowed to go far past their due date that baby might start passing meconium in the womb?

Maybe her weight and generally being super out of shape are preventing her from going into labor on her own?

My SIL has had 4 babies, the last 2 w/o epidural, BUT she had to have pitocin w/ 3 if not all 4 of her babies. She just doesn't go into labor on her own (or maybe she asked to be induced, I don't know) but once she gets pitocin things start moving fast.

Please KUP!

2, 4, 6, 8...c'mon body, ovulate!

Nov '12
September 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh what a nightmare. If I were your SIL, I would at least try to get moving! But I didn't exercise much at all with Kody's pregnancy, or Ethan's because I had a heart rhythm issue that left me breathless and feeling like I wanted to pass out whenever I exerted myself. That said, when I was 5 days overdue with Kody, I was still going for 30 minute walks, doing squats, anything I could think of to get him outta there!

I think a C section sounds good about now for her...I hope it's all over quickly and mom and baby are ok.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
September 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Another update. No dilation since this morning. No more contractions. They have not talked c-sec that we know of.

The OB said if they go past 24 hours after her water broke, she can have antibiotics. We're just shaking our heads on that one.

Wife to Big Bull 40

September 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Any update on your SIL?

September 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM
They gave her another round of Epidural and Pitocin at 4PM yesterday and FINALLY she started to dilate. By 6:30 her contractions were coming on fast and her dilation was progressing rapidly and she had started to push. She pushed to 3 hours and the baby got stuck at 8:30. THEN the OB decided to show up. They suctioned the baby out at 9:30. The news at 10PM was that both mother and baby are ok.

We have had no further news since then. Thanks for all your well wishes. The baby, a girl, is named Madelyn. Hoping for the best now.

Wife to Big Bull 40

September 25th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I am so thankful that everything is ok. I'd definitely not be happy with my OB.

September 25th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Wow. I'm glad everything is ok but jeez. What an ordeal for her and baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search