My not-so-great news...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Schofield06
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By Sunrise
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By sandel07

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I had my 1 hour glucose test done last Monday (23rd) and I just got a phone call today from the head nurse telling me my glucose levels were high and I will have to take the 3 hour. I was too busy asking about the 3 hour test that I forgot to ask what my 1 hour test numbers were, so unfortunately I don't know.

I was told to fast for 12 hours before the test and not eat or drink anything (except water) during the 12 hour time frame. She said I would get a blood draw once I got to the office, drink the sugar drink, then get a blood draw every hour for 3 hours (4 blood draws total!!!).

I'm so nervous I'm going to fail... She said if I fail this one, they will send me to a dietitian to discuss my diet and I will have to monitor my glucose levels with one of those finger prick things. Fun times... I can't help but be worried. I have to admit I have been shoveling in the sugary treats recently. Cake, ice cream, skittles, starbursts, gummy worms, plus I eat tons of fruit. Last night DH put me on "bed rest" because I had some gnarly cramping but instead of relaxing I made a freaking cake and smothered it in vanilla frosting!!!! (who can argue with cake, right???) I wish the dr office would have called me last week instead of waiting until today. I have been so bad... but it's time to make a change!!! I will try my hardest to be a good girl from now on and stop eating so much SUGAR!
September 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel ya. With my DD I failed my test and had to do all those things. I was diagnosed with GD. But it didn't cause any problems except that DD was born heavy (a little over 10 pounds). But I don't have diabetes, and she's not overweight (she's now 10). I have a feeling I'll fail this time also, even though I do limit my sugar (very rarely drink soda now). But my last test was a few points high and they even recommended limiting my fruit intake I'll be sending good thoughts your way for a positive testing outcome.
Ame C likes this.

September 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you pass the three hour test! It can be so hard to stay away from sweets, at least for me. Good luck!
Ame C likes this.
September 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I'm trying not to stress about it but it scares me.. I don't want to have GD!!
I know there are much worse things that could happen, but why can't things just go smoothly without any issues at all? Is that too much to ask for?
Boos Moo likes this.
October 1st, 2013, 06:09 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What did you eat before your one hour test and did they have you fast before that test? When I was pregnant with Jackson I had no clue what the glucose test was or that I should stay away from sweets the day before the test and I ate a bunch of crap the night before and ended up failing the one hour test. So I did some research and the night before the test I ate some salmon and some green beans. No carbs or sugar the day before the test. And then I didn't eat for 12 hours just like your dr said to do and I passed the 3 hour test. I won't lie the 3 hour test sucks and it sucks getting stuck every hour for 4 hours.

Then with Jacob I ate salmon and green beans the night before and thankfully passed the test and that is what I plan on doing before this test. I would definitely stay away from sweets between now and when your test is. when do you go back in? And I would also try to stay away from carbs the day before the test. Hopefully that will work but if it doesn't, I know several girls who have had gestational diabetes and while you do have to pay more attention to what you eat it's really not that bad. Although the finger sticking might stink. I hate that.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know Ame, it's not just the sugar, sugar, sugar, that does it. With all my nausea, I've eaten nothing but saltines, rice and macaroni for 12 weeks and I'm just as much at risk as you are.

Try not to stress out and forgive yourself a little for enjoying your pregnancy. For each meal, substitute one carb/sugar with a portion of veggies. For each snack, drink another glass of water while eating the snack - so you fill up faster.

No one wants to swallow that bitter pill that means they have to give up their favorite treats, and really, you shouldn't have to give them up entirely. So maybe one treat a day - a handful of nuts to go along with that chocolate, or a piece of cake only on Saturday nights. I'm sure you're going to be fine during the three hour test. Just don't hammer the chocolate cherries the night before
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
October 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ame I'm sorry the good news is- the one hour test is known for giving false positives. So maybe this is just a tiny reality check to keep your caking under wraps and hopefully you'll do great with the 3 hour.

My fingers are crossed for you babe! When is it gonna be??
Ame C likes this.

October 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am sorry that you failed the 1 hour. I hope that you pass the 3 hour one. I am not the greatest with eating the healthiest either.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM
My dr wanted me to try to do the testing on Wednesday but my mustang is having issues with its battery and I don't want to get stranded somewhere because my battery dies... So I'm going to have to wait until Friday to test, and probably wont hear anything back until Monday.
October 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dang that sucks about your car. I hope you can get it fixed up!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm supposed to be looking for the receipt for the battery because it's still under warranty, but I have no idea where it is or if I still have it. More than likely we will have to bite the bullet and buy a new one (and keep better track of the receipt this time). It's not a HUGE deal because it costs right around $100 but still... money we could have saved if I had kept up with the darn receipt.
October 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you find the darn receipt. We are terrible about keeping up with stuff like that also.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
If you happen to fail the 3 hour test GD is or can be very easy to manage. I had it with my 3rd child, I managed it just fine with diet. Good luck on your test.
Ame C likes this.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search