Need to be talked down (migraine)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Just keep breathing.
I had a bad migraine yesterday- a storm front with a ton of humidity passed through. I've had migraines all my life, though surprisingly few since I went off birth control last year. Weather is one of my triggers, as are hormones (right at the start of AF) and too much booze.

I was a dummy and didn't treat it right away. I took one 500mg Tylenol around 11am and then took a nap, thinking it might go away. Didn't. I ended up vomiting several times in the night from the pain. This morning I took 750mg Tylenol plus half a cup of coffee, and it went away in about 90 minutes. The weather is still grey and rainy today (and will continue for the next few days) so it's likely the headache will return.

Normally this would not really freak me out- again, have had migraines all my life. But the last time I had major ones was in my first pregnancy last fall. I had migraines most days, starting about 9 weeks, then they got bad about 10 weeks. A few weeks after that, at my first trimester screening, I learned it was a missed mc (baby passed at 10w). My OB said dropping hormone levels was probably the cause of the migraines.

This migraine was from the weather, right? I'm taking progesterone supplements, so it's unlikely that my hormone levels would have changed drastically. (right?) Sigh. I know there's no way anyone can really answer. I did leave a message at my RE's office. I have my next ultrasound on Wednesday, and given that it's Friday afternoon already it's unlikely I'd rush in for yet another scan before next week. So, might as well wait til Wednesday.

Sorry for the novel
October 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're having this going on. Hormones in pregnancy fluctuate as it is--many women say they have increased headaches/migraines when they're pregnant, and go on to have healthy babies. That stinks that you have that prior experience to freak you out about it. Hormone levels in a healthy pregnancy still have surges and dips, so even if your levels are going down just a smidge, that is most likely absolutely normal. And yes I bet that weather had a lot to do with it! Especially if you've noticed that before, that the weather triggers it.

If you want peace of mind, you could always ask your RE/OB to just do a quick doppler HB check. That way you don't have to worry all weekend. With having a loss, I would think they would understand your fears. They should, anyway!
MelChicago and Boos Moo like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
October 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Just keep breathing.
Thanks for the reply The nurse at my RE's office called back, too, and I feel a lot better. She said she talked to the doctor, and he said there's no evidence of migraines connected to loss- it's likely just regular first-trimester hormone changes, combined with the weather change (one of my known triggers) and maybe even allergy season. My RE clinic specializes in recurrent loss so I trust him.

I've been really, really trying not to freak out much this pregnancy Mostly because after 3 losses, I just didn't have the energy to get that worked up (for good or ill). This just tipped the scales, I guess.
EverydayJoy likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Mel, I'm getting the same weather migraine yesterday and today that you had. I've gotten them all my life.

The same thing happened to me last winter. Horrible migraines starting at 9 wks. Missed MC at 11 weeks. My neuro said the migraines were probably a hormone crash. Of course now when I get a migraine, I'm panicked that the pregnancy is in jeopardy.

I called my OB last week when I had such a bad migraine I couldn't even get out of bed. She told me to take 2 extra strength tylenol, one baby aspirin and a can of coke. It worked. I'm back in the same boat today with a horrible migraine and trying to get through the day, but the tylenol, aspirin, coke is not working this time. I'm suffering. It's pouring rain right now and the front is still moving across our area, so I'm likely to be going through this through tomorrow.

It's hard not to panic after what we went through. I'm trying to keep faith in my 35+ years of migraines being weather related. I hope we both get a little relief soon and we both get a little peace of mind with our next U/S.
MelChicago likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
October 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you're going through that stress. I too have past loss(es) so I get worried about everything. But headaches and even migraines are pretty common in this stage of pregnancy. I've been getting headaches this week, but luckily no migraines. I'm glad you got through to the office and they were able to help you out.

October 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Just keep breathing.
Thanks- hugs to you Leia. I'm sorry you're dealing with this too.
October 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Mel -

I have a horrible, horrible migraine today and normally I just pop a few fioricet and I am good. But I can't shake this one. I am in bed and the pain was so bad that I was sick as well. (and I am not pregnant)

I have had migraines for the past 29 years of my life and during my losses as well as pregnancies. I had to take fioricet almost daily during the last trimester with Scarlett. There is no relation to migraines and pregnancy loss.

((hugs)) It is so hard not to worry after losses. I was scared all the way up until Scarlett was delivered. At the same time, call your doctor whenever you feel off... that is what they are there for..

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry about your migraine! I hope it goes away soon for all of you!
October 5th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I can't even imagine... I hope you feel better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search