Holy Migraine Batman and weight loss too!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2013, 06:09 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a horrible 2+ day migraine this week because of that brutal storm that battered the east coast. I tried drinking as much as I could, but I just couldn't eat. I lost two days of work, got no chores done and slept basically the whole time.

I lost 3 lbs. I haven't gained any weight to begin with which is weird because my tummy really stuck out. But now it looks sort of deflated. I listen to the heartbeat every day with the doppler (my lifesaver) and have a nice strong heartbeat, and this little baby is kicking and wiggling regularly but I'm worried that the weightloss will contribute to low birth weight.

Last night was my first meal in days, and I couldn't even finish that - a plain baked potato and broccoli.

I started out about 12 lbs overweight according to the OB, so not gaining any weight the first trimester didn't bother me. But I'm plowing through the second and haven't gained any either. I guess it's time to call the OB and ask for advice.

Wife to Big Bull 39
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
November 2nd, 2013, 08:37 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope your migraine is gone and stays gone. I am 1 pound below my pre-pg weight, so I haven't gained any yet, but my belly is really sticking out also.
I bet your doctor will say that it's ok and once you get back to eating I'm sure that 3 pounds will come right back.
Now that I can feel the baby wiggle most days I can even skip a day of listening with my doppler. But I do like having it for the reassurance.
Hope you feel better and KUP on what your OB says.

November 2nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Just keep breathing.
Ugh, I'm so sorry about the migraine. I totally sympathize. I hope you're out of it now.

My guess is that the weight loss was primarily water weight- I know you said you drank a lot of fluids, but it's carbs and sodium that helps your body retain water, which you couldn't eat. To really lose 3# you'd have to burn 10,500 calories- if you were sleeping the majority of the time, your body was not using anywhere near that many calories- maybe 1000-1500 a day just for basic functioning?

It's a good idea to call your OB, but just based on the math above, I don't think you need to worry too much about just a few days. Maybe get some Ensure or protein bars for high-calorie snacks?
November 2nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Just awful! I'm glad that's over for you You should try eating foods with protein instead of just veggies. If you're taking your prenatal vitamins then your baby is getting almost everything it needs besides the protein, and you need a little extra calcium too. I hope your back to feeling better now and well rested.

November 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks ladies! I started with yogurt and peanut butter (not together ) today and was only a little queasy. I'm back on a normal food schedule as of this afternoon, thank goodness. Hopefully the weight will come back.
EverydayJoy and Ame C like this.

Wife to Big Bull 39

November 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey in pregnancy we would have totally understood eating pb and yogurt together Glad you're on the mend.
MelChicago likes this.

November 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you're starting to feel better! Sucks that you can't take anything for anything when you're pregnant...

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
November 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
My neuro has me take Hydrocodone. I hate to take it, I feel like I'm hurting the baby, but he assures me it's safe in pregnancy. I take the smallest dosage possible. My regular migraine meds are class D, so they are out. There are days where I look at them longingly and wish I could take just one.....

Wife to Big Bull 39

November 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you are feeling better today. I have never had a migraine but I'm sure they are terrible and even worse when you can't take your meds. I think you are right I would call your dr and see what they say about your weight. I do know I have a friend in my PR that has only gained 2 lbs at 30 weeks and her dr says it is fine. She was overweight when she got pregnant so it can be ok but I think it is better to be safe and call and see what the dr has to say.

I hope the migraines stay away.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search