How the Grinch stole my holiday cheer

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By anhoyle
  • 2 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Schofield06
  • 1 Post By Sunrise
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By cortln
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I don't know what my deal is. I'm just not feeling the holidays. I'm not depressed or crying but I am dragging my feet with my head down. Normally cooking a few things to take to my family's Thanksgiving is fun for me. So why am I not having any fun? Will my innocence and Holiday spirit ever come back? I'm sure when I have little ones running around it will be different. Right now I suppose I'm just throwing my own little pitty party.

How about you ladies? How are you feeling? Despite my gloomy post I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know once I'm surrounded by family I will feel better. Fingers crossed, lol.
November 28th, 2013, 01:40 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs Amy. Honestly I felt that way this year. I wasn't excited at all. Normally this is my favorite time of year. I didn't become excited until we adopted a family for Christmas. I wanted to do something nice for someone else. Dhs brothers don't get excited over gifts and they are all older 13-21 except for his 5 year old little brother and my siblings are 19-29. So we told everyone that we weren't buying gifts for the family and that we were buying gifts for another family. Most aren't happy with us but oh well. We didn't ask for gifts from anyone and we told them that we didn't need anything. I just feel like it makes my heart feel better knowing it's really going to help this family vs people who have jobs and buy their own things. We mainly exchanged gift cards anyways.

I hope you cheer up. Maybe do something nice for someone like toys for tots or donate food. Sometimes for me I just need to feel like I made a difference or I've helped someone.
Ame C likes this.

[/url

Last edited by anhoyle; November 28th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
November 28th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Just keep breathing.
Sending you big hugs, Ame. You know what, I was just listening to a podcast this morning about emotional health during pregnancy (it's called Pea in the Podcast- it's a few years old so no new episodes, but there are a bunch, one for each week of pregnancy, plus lots of others on different issues like working, exercise, feeding, etc). ANYWAY, the episode I listened to said it was very common to experience depression in the third trimester- that most women think it only comes post-partum, but that's not necessarily true.

You say you're not depressed exactly but I'm sure it's possible that the general malaise is draining the fun out of things. It's not you, it's not your fault, so let yourself off the hook
Ame C and Sunrise like this.
November 28th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs and happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your family time.

I'm also not super excited like normal. I blame the hormones though and the fact that my already giant belly is preventing me from being able to do a lot (plus the fact that DH wants to do everything for me, which is sweet, but makes me lazier). Also for me I have the added thing of no one in my family has gotten back to me yet to say if they are or aren't coming on Sunday! And I'm extra hormonal and emotional during pregnancy. So the next couple of days might be hard for me. Oh and just found out last night that my DS will be out of town on Sunday
So I guess the point of my ramblings is that I'm right there with ya, pity party for us. But that's ok, we all need that once in awhile.
Ame C likes this.

November 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I don't have a lot of time to reply to any messages on here right now, but just wanted to say thank you girls. Those of you celebrating Thanksgiving today I hope it goes wonderfully!
November 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been as excited as usual either. I think I'm just too tired and stuff to get that excited and enjoy things as much. I hope the rest of your day goes great!
Ame C likes this.
November 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not excited either. Greatful of course- just in a funky place. Sigh.. Hugs.
Ame C likes this.

November 29th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the exhaustion has just zapped some of our normal enthusiasum (I don't know how to spell that word).
Sunrise you're getting so close like Ame - congrats to you both, almost there.
Ame C likes this.

November 29th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Feeling it too Amy! I actually felt pretty good yesterday before we had to leave but I still faked it to my husband LOL I was just super crabby and didn't feel like seeing anyone. I sucked it up and did it anyways though lol
Ame C likes this.
November 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
It was hard to sleep for the first few hours last night because my stomach was hurting and my heartburn was bad from all the food. I ended up getting really sick but once I got it all out I felt much better and was able to get some actual sleep. I must have been exhausted too because I ended up sleeping in until 2 pm today! Dealing with my MIL on Thursday was really draining too. She sucks the life out of me.
December 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amy I'm sorry that you go so sick after your Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure that the holidays are harder because of all you have been through and then to have to add your MIL on top of it all, no fun at all. You are so right though the holidays will be magical when you have little Toren running around.

My little one's due date was December 22 so the holidays are hard but my other kids really do help take my mind off of that.

Hope your feeling all better and that you are doing ok.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 2nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HUGS Ame. I had a hard time this holiday too. Christmas is going to suck. And BIG DITTO on the MIL thing. Mine is a drain too.

The holidays are hard for a lot of people, and subconsciously, you are grieving and worrying and you don't even know it. You are also EXHAUSTED. Remember to take mini-breaks from it all and give yourself a little time away from the hustle and bustle.
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search