12 weeks today - question about stopping progesterone

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
So I'm 12 weeks today and my doctor said I can stop taking the progesterone now. But I am really nervous about it! I have a few more left so I might keep taking them for a few more days to finish them off.

If you took progesterone during your pregnancy, when did you stop taking it? Did anything happen after you stopped taking it? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks ladies!
December 3rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I was scared to stop taking mine too. I think I had a lot of extra and took it at least a week past 12. What I did was go down to 1 pill a day for that last week so it wasn't just a sudden crash. The only side affect of stopping them is feeling good for once. Progesterone makes me feel like crap.
Sunrise likes this.

December 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
I wish I had enough to get me to 13 weeks! I only have 4 left. Do you think I should do one every other day until they are gone?

And I agree... I can't wait to be done with them but nervous at the same time!!
December 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was terrified to stop mine also and I asked my dr over and over again about it and everytime he tried to reassure me. I took mine until 12 weeks 5 days when I ran out and then stopped taking them and everything was fine. The placenta takes over around 10 weeks so you just don't need the progesterone anymore but that is so much easier said than done. My dr said after 12 weeks the progesterone just makes you tired and nauseous.

i would just finish up the pills that you have and then you will be fine. Those first few days are so hard but your baby is just fine in there.

Congratulations on 12 weeks.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Six in the City
I was just worrying about this same thing. I can't even imagine the point where they say to stop the progesterone. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety but I am sure it's totally fine, it's just the idea of stopping something that we have relied on up to that point.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
December 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on 12 weeks!! I didn't have to take progesterone so I'm no help. I just wanted to say Congrats on the milestone!

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
December 3rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for 12 weeks!!! I haven't taken progesterone either, but how exciting to be at this point!
December 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Just keep breathing.
Awesome for 12 weeks! I too was terrified about stopping progesterone. My RE told me to stop when I saw him at 11 weeks. My progesterone level at that time was 38.2 (crazy high). He told me the same thing- that the placenta takes over about 10 weeks, and if he gave progesterone to a non-pregnant woman, her levels would be between 5-10. Knowing my level was already so high, that the placenta was doing what it needed to do, helped me mentally. If you know what your progesterone is now, that might help- the pills are only gilding the lily at this point.

I am now 16 weeks and everything is fine.

I had some headaches after I stopped it- I went from 100mg 2x a day to nothing. I wish I'd tapered down to 100mg 1x a day, or even every other day, instead of cold turkey.
December 3rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on 12 weeks! What a milestone!! I was advised to stop at 12 weeks too. I also alternated days at the end. They say you can have spotting from stopping. I didn't get any side effects.

December 4th, 2013, 05:48 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any side effects when I stopped.

Mel it must have been nice having your dr check your progesterone levels before you stopped. I asked my dr to do that and he said there was no need that since the placenta had taken over we didn't need to check it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Just keep breathing.
Melissa, yeah, it was nice- it was part of the RE's regular routine where I had weekly ultrasounds, HCG and progesterone checks. It was awesome.
December 4th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Yay for 12 weeks!! Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

December 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help since I've never taken it either, but congrats and KUP.

December 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I'm sure you'll be fine! But doctor is having me take it till 14 weeks though? Hmmm? Sounds like everyone else stopped at 12.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
December 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you for all the responses, everybody!

Only 12 more weeks until I will feel like I can breathe easier... hopefully it will go by with no problems. Hoping and praying everyday.
December 6th, 2013, 03:29 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
This part of taking progesterone was by far the most stressful part of pregnancy. I took it for as long as I was comfortable...did the same with Marsi. I felt less dizzy and nauseated after I stopped taking it this time, but with Marsi, it wasn't any different to me.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search