NT scan update

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MoonAngel702
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
Hi Ladies, yesterday I had my NT scan. The baby looked great and was super active. We got a lot of cute pics. The only problem that I'm really worried about is the NT measurement. It was 2.5mm. The tech kept measuring and remeasuring b/c the baby kept moving around so much it was hard to do... and I asked her "is that high?" b/c most people I see are below 2. Also, I had the NT scan done with Cade and his was about 1.5 but I was also 12 weeks. i read that the NT will grow with the baby. Yesterday I was 13w2d so 9 days later could make it higher. My sister had it done with her son and hers was 1.8, but that was also at 12 weeks. So 2.5 has me worried and hopefully for no reason. The tech's response to my question regarding whether or not 2.5 was high was "well, I need to plug it into the computer with the crown-to-rump measurement to see." At the end, she ended up saying everything looked just fine. I had the bloodwork done and have to wait 7-10 days for those results.

I just can't help but shake the 2.5 worry out of my mind. I've done a lot of googling and I know under 3 is normal. But 2.5 is considered "high end of normal" so of course I'm worried about it. The doctor wasn't there yesterday. I would have really liked to get his thoughts on it. I guess we will see how it looks when the bloodwork comes back and take it from there. Everything else from the ultrasound looked great. Nasal bone was there and looked good. Hands and feet looked good. She thoroughly checked the baby and everything looked good. She also gave me a gender guess and said she thinks it's a girl, but told me her guess is 75% accurate. I'm undecided if I want to have an elective gender scan done or just wait 6 more weeks for the anatomy scan.

Here's a pic of our sweet little one:

Ame C likes this.
December 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr has told me that he doesn't worry if it is below 3 so I think at 2.5 your baby is fine. I also know that my dr wants to add the the measurements of the NT scan with the blood work before he will really give you an indication of any problem or not so I wouldn't worry. Just wait and get back your blood work results. I'm sure your little one is just fine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Aww such a cute little baby I hope your worried for nothing. (((hugs)))
December 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cute ultrasound pic!! I'm sure everything is fine. I hope you get to talk to the Dr soon and he put all your worries at ease.
December 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you got to see your LO. Hoping the next 7 - 10 days go by fast and you get great results.

December 13th, 2013, 02:45 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Hi baby! I hope that the blood work comes in completely normal.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

December 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Just keep breathing.
Sweet little baby I too was told that under 3 is just fine. Hopefully your blood test results will come back perfectly and help ease your mind. Hang in there, mama!
December 13th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Adorable pic! I hope you get your results fast.

December 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a 2.3 with my DD, Selena. I was kinda freaked out too, and I was also 13w2d. My other kids that had this test done were 1.8, all of them, at 13w's. She is perfect just like her siblings. I also know another mama on here that had a 2.7 at 13w6d, and her baby does have confirmed downs, so sometimes whether the NT looks good or not (like it looks good in your case and so did mine), it is not a diagnostic test, only an estimate. If your truly concerned, I would just opt for the MaternityT21 test, even though thats not really diagnostic either, it gives the best overall results. Its supposed to be over 99.5% accurate. Hoping your little one is just fine and SHE looks like a beauty already!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

December 14th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I hope your worries are all for nothing and everything comes out normal.

What a cute little baby you've got there. ((Hugs))
December 14th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks everybody Will keep you posted.
December 15th, 2013, 06:27 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my NT scan done at 13w4d and my baby's measurements were 2.8. The doctor told me flat out that anything under three was fine and if she thought there was a problem, even a little one, she would tell me, since I'm high risk and older. We did the Verify test at that time and got our results back in less than 14 days. They were negative.

There are 7 markers for downs. The nasal bone, the skull, the gap, the fingers, the toes, the connection between the stomach and the intestines and the heart I think are all of them. The tech checks all of them. Just one of those isn't telltale for downs, but is a signal that further testing should be done. If you had one of those markers, your doc would tell you, and more than likely, right away.

It's hard not to stress, I know, I still stress even at this stage with all tests coming back negative. Try to dwell on the positive aspects of the scan. KUP!
MoonAngel702 likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
December 15th, 2013, 08:55 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you have that worry nagging you, but I agree that my doc also said he only worries if it's 3 or over. Hang in there!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
December 16th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thank you SO much Leia that eases my mind a lot. The tech did look at everything in detail and said everything looked great so I'm hoping she was telling the truth!

It's hard when so many bad things have happened in the past to think that something good can happen. It's almost like a doomed feeling I have at times. I hate that and I'm trying my hardest to stay positive.
December 16th, 2013, 08:07 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I know all about that doomed feeling. We who have gone through a loss, or two, or three or more are jaded. Pregnancy has no joy - only stress and agony and fear. It's awful. And supremely unfair.

I have done WAY TOO MUCH research on genetic and chromosomal disorders. My mother had 7 births, 4 resulting in genetic/chromosomal disorders. I've worked with top geneticists for years now and have so much information crowding my head that even when my OB tells me that everything is ok, I have 100 comebacks. My DH gets very frustrated.

The good thing is that the technology you have now is wonderful. When I was expecting DS, just 8 short years ago, we didn't have the U/S we have today. How wonderful to see in depth the heart valves, the stomach function, the spinal construction, etc. It is truly amazing. Your U/S tech was telling the truth. If she saw something amiss, she can't tell you, but she would not say everything was OK. She would just not say anything. She would simply say that the doc would review the report and let you know how everything is.

If your doc didn't call you immediately or within a day to give you any further information on the scan, and you still feel uneasy, call the OB. Ask for a report or if there was anything in the scan you should know about. The OB will understand. You have every right to ask.
humnck likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
December 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Cute pic! I hope you get quick answers to ease your mind!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search