Contractions and Baby

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 2 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By kaylakay

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2014, 07:24 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wondering if Braxton Hicks Contractions or the contractions you get leading up to labor affect the baby. I remember with Jacob that when I was finally in labor the contractions would affect his heart rate. I assume that the false labor contractions don't affect the baby at all but just wondering what everybody else thought. I see my dr on friday so I was going to see what he said also.

I know crazy question but your mind just thinks of everything towards the end.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 15th, 2014, 07:59 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's something I hadn't thought about. I think the more intense contractions do affect their heart rate, like when you're in transition and your uterus is like a vise grip squeezing that baby down the birth canal. But BH and the pre-labor type stuff, I don't think would really affect baby. The uterus isn't squeezing baby for all they're worth...KWIM? Plus there are moms who are in the hospital, in labor for days and their babies do ok. So even if it DOES affect the heart rate, I imagine it still wouldn't be a problem, especially how for you it's more spread out than if you were really in labor. Gives him a chance to rest and relax in between.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM
that's what I was thinking also Joy but of course late in pregnancy my mind seems to be thinking about everything..lol.
EverydayJoy likes this.

January 15th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
BH do not affect the baby, that I know, but I'm not sure about pre-term labor. I wouldn't think, if it was false labor, not causing any dilation, that the uterus isn't tightening enough to cause the baby to be in distress or anything. And even in "real" labor, it doesn't always affect baby in a negative way. Let me know what your doc says...I am curious
melissalaw likes this.

January 15th, 2014, 08:41 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Nope. They might piss the baby off a bit causing more kicks, but it doesn't do anything with the HR or anything like that. I get contractions that I breathe through every night now. DH was actually concerned last night when I laid down and could hardly breathe until the contraction was over and I got settled in a new position.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I'll let you know Cary. I hope what I've been having are just BH Contractions or false labor. I hope they are not doing much to my cervix. I shall see on Friday
humnck and EverydayJoy like this.

January 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My sister is still having contractions too, she has been since 22 weeks and she is now 34 weeks, the only thing is, in the past week, her cervix has shortened a bit, but still no dilation.

Just a little longer, buddy

January 15th, 2014, 12:19 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on WHY you are having the contractions. With DS, I was in real labor for weeks, because I was in preliminary organ failure and I didn't know it. My contractions were hard but my cervix never opened. DS's heartrate dropped over the course of 2 weeks until he was in the danger zone and I had an emergency csec.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 15th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was curious about this as well. He definitely moves a lot more after I have braxton hicks contractions, and I wondered if it did anything else.
January 15th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Leia, that is quite a story! Now you're making me curious as to why you were having organ failure. In hard labor for two weeks! Did you know it but they kept sending you home saying your cervix was unchanged? How did it all transpire?
(Pardon me while I get out the popcorn)
melissalaw likes this.

January 16th, 2014, 07:02 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Leia, that is quite a story! Now you're making me curious as to why you were having organ failure. In hard labor for two weeks! Did you know it but they kept sending you home saying your cervix was unchanged? How did it all transpire?
(Pardon me while I get out the popcorn)
I had stage 2 kidney cancer, but we didn't know, so one kidney had failed and the other was failing. How we didn't know is beyond me! I had gone to L&D with contractions 2-3 min apart but was not dilated, and would lay down and they would stop and they would send me home. It was only when my BP went into stroke levels and DS heartbeat went below 90 that my OB sent me back to L&D and we pulled him out of there.

Crazy right? We didn't find the cancer for another YEAR!!!!! I'm a very lucky woman. I'm completely cancer free now!
Boos Moo likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I know this answer!

The contractions in labor that affect the baby's heart rate is normal... When we're watching strips at work. (The fetal heart rate and contractions) that is nothing to be concerned about. As long as the heart rate drops a tiny WITH the contraction it's fine. Now there is other things like late, early, variables, etc. that we do worry about but if it's with the contraction it's perfectly normal.

Braxton hicks contractions do nothing to the baby. We have mamas come in with BH everyday and we hook them up to the monitors and their babies look fabulous. Reactive strip and everything.

If the "pre term labor" is in fact actual labor it can affect baby because well that's just normal labor only before your term. Haha. Labor affects babies. It's a hard thing for mama and baby to go through.

But if it's just BH or a contraction here and there I would not worry.
melissalaw likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
January 16th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the answer Kayla. I figured somebody would know!!

Leia I'm so glad that your ok and cancer free. How scary what you went through.

January 17th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Wow Leia! That is just crazy. I am glad the cancer is gone now! I can't believe they waited till your BP was at stroke levels before they did the emergency C-section. That's just crazy.
Did you end up losing the kidney that was failing, since it took awhile for them to discover the problem?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search