Registry-ing is stressing me out...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Just keep breathing.
I've been doing really well just taking one day at a time, enjoying being pregnant, etc. But now I'm 24 weeks and am starting to think I need to get a move on. I'm tryign to put together a baby registry- and it's giving me some panic. I keep trying to look and make decisions, then freak out and just walk away.

How on earth do I know what kind of bottles to get? I hope to breast feed and also pump, so that DH can feed baby, too (plus after I go back work). Is that reasonable? How many bottles do I need? What size? Does brand matter? And nipples? those are sold separately? Why? What about liners? Why is this so complicated?

(if you know answers to any of these questions, I'd be grateful- but I'm mostly just needing help not freaking out.)
January 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I breastfeed and occasionally pump if the MIL is babysitting (she has done it for us twice for about 2 hours). I got the 3 pack of Tommee Tippee bottles. They are a bit higher in the bottle price ranges but are supposed to be the best for switching between a bottle and a breast. I haven't had any nipple confusion with Toren or anything like that from using the bottles. I even gave him a bottle of breast milk before he was a week old and didn't have any issues with BF'ing. (just wanted to share that with you in case that's one of the things you worry about). Oh and the nipples came with my bottles. I think they normally do come with the other bottle brands too. Here is what I got Tommee Tippee Bottles - 9 oz - 3 Pk - Free Shipping

Baby shopping is really stressful at times!! I thought I needed everything! So I bought pretty much everything there is and haven't used any of it so far. I used the baby swing 3 times, the bouncy chair 1 time and other than that I only use his clothes, blankets, diapers, wipes, diaper bag and baby wash cloths to clean his little face each day. He sleeps in a rock n play beside our bed, or in bed with me if he is being super clingy. I do use baby laundry detergent, I think the brand is Dreft. I will probably buy one more bottle of Dreft before I switch to Tide and see how he handles it. But the baby laundry detergent should last a while.

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you have a bed of some type for baby to sleep in, a car seat, clothes, diapers, wipes - you are good to go. Make sure you get a double electric pump! I waited until after Toren was born to get mine and I REALLY needed it the first few days. I got one for free from my insurance. Check with yours, most give one out for free. Or if you're on WIC they give you a pump after your baby is born or they can rent one out to you, no charge. Oh and make absolutely sure you have lanolin nipple cream. You will greatly regret it if you don't have any. And make sure you use it all the time!

That's my 2 cents. I hope it helps. (((hugs)))

January 24th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs Mel - now breath. It will all come together.
Here's what webMD suggests as far as bottles:
12 nipples and covers
1 bottle and nipple brush for cleaning
Dishwasher basket for bottles and nipples (optional, but makes for easy cleaning)
Infant formula and measuring cup (if you are not breastfeeding). Use the brand recommended by your child's doctor.
12 burp cloths
6 bibs
12 bottles. Even if you are breastfeeding, you should have bottles to use for pumped breast milk.

12 bottles seems like a lot to me, but I could be wrong. I just can't see having more than 1 or 2 dirty at a time, so I would think 5 or 6 is good. But I guess having extras doesn't hurt right.
Just try to remember you still have time. So if you only get 1 or 2 things on your registry a day it will be okay.
Hugs.

January 25th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm... It is tricky. I stressed over my registry and now it's a week before my shower and only three this have come off it. So people might not even use the registry!

For bottles I put on 6 evenflo plain glass bottles, which I plan to use once baby is much older. For newborn stage I plan to use Medela Calma. The LLL woman I spoke to told me to get those, so I put three of those and three nipples on my registry.

For the 8-12 months stage I plan to use Playtex drop ins... So those come with a liner.

I'm not sure why I put down three, LOL. But I've also read that some BF babies won't take certain ones, so I suppose it will be nice to have on hand, just in case.

My must haves for my registry were the bottles, a proper contoured changing pad for the change table, a bouncer seat... I put on a few other fun things that looked cute.

I wouldn't stress about the registry itself, though. I plan to see what I get for the shower and then sort and organize everything. After that, I'll go shopping and pick out the remaining needed items.

I already have my stash of cloth diapers, newborn onesies, bassinet for in our room, breast pump, and receiving blankets... So regardless of what people get me, I'm pretty well good for the baby's first few weeks!

Good luck and I hope you don't stress!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
January 25th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I nursed my son and we only really needed 3 bottles since he got them so infrequently. I second the Tommy Tippee recommendation. I also agree that you don't need most of he stuff they suggest.

The things we considered essentials are:
Swing
Bouncy seat (We used them so much I actually got a second 2-in-one combo for upstairs so I had a place to put him while getting ready)
Burp cloth (my favorite were the Aden + Anais burpy bibs (bonus, you can use them as bibs, too)
Sleep sacks
We just put a changing pad on a dresser, no changing table needed
Boppy
Arms Reach mini co-sleeper

January 25th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and I honestly believe nipple confusion is overrated. My son had bottles and binkies from day 1 and he only stopped nursing at 14 months because I got pregnant again. We had Avent, Tommy Tippee, and Playtex Drop Ins and he was fine. We just ended up using the Tommy Tippee most often. Also, I think it's important to give them a bottle occasionally because the people I've heard of with issues of babies refusing a bottle or cup are people who waited.

Anna, I only used he drop ins at the newborn stage because of the ability to push out the air. After that I thought they weren't worth the expense of constantly buying liners.

January 25th, 2014, 07:44 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed right now. I would keep it simple to start, you can always go out and purchase something you need later, or send a friend or family member to do it.
I would get 3 or 4 bottles to start, in 4 oz size. Baby won't drink a ton to start so you won't need 8 oz size until much later. The nipples the bottles come with are pretty much always size 1, for newborns. You buy bigger size nipples as you go along.

What I would do is, just get the bare basics for now, so you don't overwhelm yourself. If you don't have a big registry, people can just pick stuff on their own (which they usually do anyway). No harm done. I don't think it's worth overwhelming yourself---newborns don't need much.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
January 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Just keep breathing.
Thank you all. This helps. I haven't looked at whats "recommended" to register for, and know better than to get into all the nonsense wipes warmers, diaper genies, etc. But even the basics (like bottles) was overwhelming me. So far I've chosen some crib sheets, 2 sleepers... and that's when I started looking at bottles and panicked
January 27th, 2014, 05:05 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Think essentials. What do you need for you - eat, sleep and poop.

Eat - bottles. Those are easy. Put one or two of those starter kits on your registry. The stores sell only the well used brands, so don't stress over which one. Once you start using them you'll like a certain brand and stick with it.
Sleep - crib sheets, mattress cover and sleepers - looks you have a good start
Poop - diapers and wipes.

Once you've done that, you can work your way out to the other stuff.
Huh, why can't I do this for myself? Much easier to help someone else that advise myself!
smsturner and EverydayJoy like this.

Wife to Big Bull 41
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 27th, 2014, 07:06 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I breastfeed but I will go back to work so I make sure that I have a really good breastpump and bottles. What we did was pick up several different bottles and just tried them out to find which one our kids liked. Jackson loved the Dr. Browns and would only drink out of them. Well Jacob hated them and would only use the playtex nursers which if your little one likes them those are the ones that I recommend. Makes the clean up much easier if you can just pull the liner out and throw it away. With Jackson I always hated coming home from work and cleaning all those darn bottles that he used at daycare. Our daycare likes a clean bottle for every feeding so he went through a bunch.

As far as nipples just buy the slow flow nipples and once you figure out which bottles your baby likes you can pick up some of the faster flow nipples for when baby gets bigger.

Also I have the medela pump in style breastpump and it has been wonderful for me. I used the same pump for both Jackson and Jacob and will use it this time. Babies R us did have a trade in event where I could trade in my old pump and get almost $100 off a new pump so now I have a new pump for this one. But a good pump is a must if you are going to work and breastfeed.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 27th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry it's so stressful for you. My mom went with me. One thing she told me is that it never hurts to put it on your registry whether it's just a want or something you don't know if you'll need. If you get it then great, if not, no harm done.
January 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to smsturner
I was super overwhelmed looking at it too. Things have just changed SO much since I had my first two.
I will say that I loved the playtex nursers too, because they made for easier cleaning, and I felt that they were easier to keep sterile because of the liners. They still have those, so that was great for me.

When I was working on a registry, I found that when I hit something that was overwhelming, I would skip it, and then come back when i felt ready to tackle it again.
Good luck!! Big hugs hun.

Crazy enough to try all over again for a second together baby! Hoping for a much less wild ride this time!

TTC with PCOS for 5 very long years. Annovulatory cycles. Multiple doctors. Different meds. One horrible loss. And then one wonderful success, born 2/18/14.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26/13
January 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
I can totally see how it would be stressful! I haven't gotten to that point yet but I can only imagine it's not easy. I hope it gets easier for you! When is your shower going to be?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search