Scan and new appt update

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By smsturner
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2014, 04:48 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my appt on Friday, my dr scheduled a scan for today and an appointment to talk more, and to recheck my bp.
The scan was first. He passed the biophysical profile. Good heartbeat. Good movement.
They have told me over several ultrasounds that he would be a bigger baby. He's measured a week ahead the whole time, and he's been in the 76th percentile since they started giving me that number. But over the last 3 weeks, he's only gained a few ounces (instead of the normal 1.5 pounds), is now half a week behind, and measures at the 50th percentile (at 5lbs, 13 oz). He's not losing weight, so that's great, but his growth has slowed dramatically.

Then I went into the appt, and my blood pressure was 147/98, which made my dr cringe. She said that the hand pain I have is a blood pressure/ swelling side effect. I have also suddenly gained 5 pounds. Since Friday. None of this is good either.
So she is taking me out of work, effective right away. And she sent me home with the huge container to do a 24 hour urine collection. When I bring that back, she wants a bunch of blood work. And she's scheduled a fetal non-stress test.

So jeez. I liked when she said on Friday, I'd get him earlier, at 39 weeks. But now i'm worried. I'm really glad she is watching me closely, but now that I've seen the ultrasound and know it's affecting him in a negative way, it's hard not to worry about things. I almost wish she'd have just suggested that we induce right away.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Almost forgot....

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
January 28th, 2014, 05:21 PM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
I'm so sorry to hear this Susan and understand why you would be worried. Thankfully he's not losing weight, though, and that everything else looked good with him. Did your doctor tell you what to expect depending on the results of the urine/blood test? And did she say when the fetal non-stress test will be? Thinking of you and hoping everything will be just fine. (((Hugs))) KUP on your results.

What a cutie your sweet baby is!! Such a sweet little face!
January 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Just keep breathing.
What a precious boy!

I'm sorry the appointment brought you such complicated news. I think it's great that your doctor is so on top of things, though. Hang in there!
January 28th, 2014, 07:02 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
What a beautiful boy!!! I am so sorry to hear about your BP and the growth stalling. You and baby boy are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 28th, 2014, 09:06 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
She probably isn't suggesting an induction right away because your not 37 weeks yet... We try really hard to keep mamas pregnant in labor and delivery as long as possible. But obviously sometimes it's safer for them to be out than in.

Your BP is a tiny bit cringe like... Let me know what your 24 hour urine protein number is. That should tell a lot. Rest mama! REST! I'll be thinking about you and your little man.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
January 29th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs. You're so close now. I'm sorry so much happened at your appointment, but glad they are keeping an eye on you and LO. KUP.

January 29th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh how cute!!! What a doll! I am sorry your appt was upsetting. I think your dr is being cautious. I had my first baby at 36 weeks and she was 4lbs 12ozs. I hope that your blood pressure goes down and your urine test has no protein!! Praying for you!!

January 29th, 2014, 07:13 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With the combination of your BP and retaining water, are they worried about preclampsia? I was doing some reading and bp/water retention are early signs of it.
Also, what is a non stress test? I know what a "regular" stress test is but never heard of a non-stress test.
LOVE the U/S of your little man! So adorable

January 29th, 2014, 08:12 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Posted in our DDC but just want to let you know I'm thinking of you. And yes definitely make sure you rest and take it easy.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Susan, she's checking your kidney function. The 24 hour collection checks your creatinine and bun and checks if you are spilling too much protein and calcium - which may be a sign of clampsia or pre-clampsia. It could also be a sign of kidney strain, high blood pressure, improper diet, overweight, and many other issues.

Don't stress it. Many women show kidney strain during the final weeks. It doesn't always have to be a terrible problem, and it may not affect the baby, but it's good that she is keeping an eye on your health. Better safe than sorry.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a cutie pie! Glad you are taking it easy, get lots of rest. I'm sending T&P's your way
January 29th, 2014, 01:08 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Such a great picture of your little one

I am so sorry your appointment brought so many unwanted surprises. Take it easy hun I will be keeping you in my thoughts!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

January 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cute little guy!
I'm sorry your appointment was stressful. Hope everything turns out okay with you both! Get lots of rest.
January 29th, 2014, 05:39 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a cutie!! So precious! It won't be long now!

Sorry it was an stressful ish appointment. Hopefully now that you are off work it'll help things out. Can't wait to hear that he's arrived!

January 29th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michelle:
The test involves attaching one belt to the mother’s abdomen to measure fetal heart rate and another belt to measure contractions. Movement, heart rate and “reactivity” of heart rate to movement is measured for 20-30 minutes. If the baby does not move, it does not necessarily indicate that there is a problem; the baby could just be asleep. A nurse may use a small “buzzer” to wake the baby for the remainder of the test.
..Michelle.. likes this.

January 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
Thinking of you Susan.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search