Testing Hormones???

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
So I had a pretty bad period, 3 days of heavy bleeding and really bad pain and finally it tapered off completely today. I was determined to get into my OB/GYN clinic ASAP.. I called as soon as they opened and I did get an appointment. But it's not until Feb 18th!! I was so frustrated.. I wanted to find out much earlier about what's going on with my body.

So I called my PCP and talked to the nurse about possibly getting some blood-tests to check out my hormones. I don't really care for my PCP - he's kind of the type to shrug off anything you tell him. They said I could come in for some testing OR I could wait to see my OB (who is a fantastic Doctor) I am not really sure what my PCP would do?? I decided to make an appointment, if only to get a blood-test. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable getting a pelvic-exam by my PCP.. had that happen once as a teenager and another time at the hospital. Regardless they never seem to know what they are doing and it's always painful.

Anyways, should I still go? Will it be entirely pointless? Even if they can find something wrong with my hormones, should I really be going with the advice of a regular MD? I am kind of weary about it, especially considering the experience I (and other family members) have had with this guy.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with a PCP for OB/GYN issues?

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
January 30th, 2014, 08:38 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had my PCP give me any advice on OB issues but I love my PCP so I would probably trust him to help me out if my OB couldn't but it kind of sounds like yours might not be that great. If I was you I might just wait until the 18th and see what your OB can tell you. I would just be afraid that your PCP might get some blood results and wouldn't be able to really tell you what was going on which might cause you to worry unecessarily.

How long has it been since you quit breastfeeding? I know I had one period when I was in the process of weaning and I swear I bled for like 3 weeks. It was nuts. My period were all out of whack while breastfeeding and when I stopped breastfeeding Jackson it took several months before they seemed more normal.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 30th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Just keep breathing.
I agree with Melissa, I would just wait and talk to your OB. He or she could tell you exactly what kinds of tests would be helpful, as well as guide you through the results. I know how hard it is to wait another month. However, it's really important to feel supported throughout the process- or at least avoid unnecessary frustration.
January 30th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
I have never had my PCP give me any advice on OB issues but I love my PCP so I would probably trust him to help me out if my OB couldn't but it kind of sounds like yours might not be that great. If I was you I might just wait until the 18th and see what your OB can tell you. I would just be afraid that your PCP might get some blood results and wouldn't be able to really tell you what was going on which might cause you to worry unecessarily.

How long has it been since you quit breastfeeding? I know I had one period when I was in the process of weaning and I swear I bled for like 3 weeks. It was nuts. My period were all out of whack while breastfeeding and when I stopped breastfeeding Jackson it took several months before they seemed more normal.
I quit Breastfeeding around the 27th or 28th of December. I was only breastfeeding about once a day before that. I never had any issues with my period really - it seemed like breastfeeding never stopped my periods from coming. But I know you can ovulate and not have a period or have a period and not ovulate. I do know for sure I ovulated last month - but for whatever reason my period still came a week early.

I may just hold off talking to my PCP.. they seemed like they were unsure exactly what to do.
I just really wish I could get in to see my OB sooner - I will still try this cycle but I don't hold any hope for it being successful.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
January 30th, 2014, 10:23 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I would go to the OB. For one, with hormone testing, you have to go in at specific times in your cycle. OBs would know more about when each blood test needs to be done. I had 3 blood tests done in a cycle to see what my cycle was doing. I hope you get the answers you need!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 30th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like your PCP wouldn't be much help (every PCP is different). But you could try calling your OB/GYN's office and asking if they have any cancellations to call you because you'd like to be seen earlier.
I hope things calm down for you - hugs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search