Lent Baby Furniture Came Back Broken

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2014, 05:55 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We lent DS's beautiful all wood bassinet to my BIL's wife's sister a few years ago. When she was done with it, she gave it to BIL for him to use for his new boy.

He returned it to us recently and said he "Fixed" it because it got "bumped around" between the two families.

It is DESTROYED. Scratched and dented is only the start. The headboard is cracked almost beyond repair. The two supports were cracked, glued and redrilled and bolted. The secondary supports for the bottom basket are completely broken away and beyond repair. They have to be remade.

We are so disappointed that someone would treat it in such a fashion. We don't even know if can be reused. I don't really want to buy a new bassinet, since it's such an expense for such a short period of time, but this one requires so much work and new parts, it may cost just as much as a new one to repair.

What would you all do?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
January 31st, 2014, 06:08 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I might get something new for baby to sleep in. I might also ask them to chip in since they broke you other one. They must have really not taken care of it. It's pretty hard to screw up furniture like that and it's not like the baby scratched it all up.

You might look at those rock and play sleepers. I don't think they are too expensive and I've heard really good things about them.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 31st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Just keep breathing.
Oh no, how disappointing. I'm so sorry.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd fume- and then do nothing. Well, nothing other than be upset for a bit and never trust them with anything valuable again. Neither family has admitted to the damage ("bumped around" my *****). I don't know what your relationship with each family is like, but it might be awkward to try to demand some kind of recourse or replacement.

What you could try is sending out a mass email or something, asking your family/friends/network if you could borrow a bassinet. That might spare you having to buy one.
January 31st, 2014, 07:20 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh that's awful. And totally the selfish reason I don't loan out things I will want to use again someday. I've had things that were loaned and then never returned, or like you ruined. So now I just don't do it.
What would I do? Probably break down and cry honestly right now
I like the idea of asking other family/friends if they have one to borrow.

January 31st, 2014, 08:26 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry that is so disappointing!!!! I am like Mel I would want to ask them to chip in but I never would because I hate confrontation. I think it is a great idea to send a mass email out to family and friends asking if anyone has one to borrow.

I hope something works out!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

January 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry! That is very frustrating! I would probably be asking for help replacing it. Saying something like it now needs to be replaced, and you could use some help to get it replaced.

I know my DH could fix something like that (it's what he used to do for work for 8 years), but I think we'd probably just replace it. If you can borrow one from someone else that would be good too.
January 31st, 2014, 10:03 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am so sorry. I can't add to what others have suggested. I would be so angry as well.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's totally unacceptable. I can't imagine doing that to anyone. "Oh hey, here's your stuff back, it's been fun! Oh, and it's completely ruined, but I don't care. Love ya!"
Our wooden (not fancy) bassinet has been through a 2,000 mile move, and the only thing that happened to it was one side got scraped up. I don't know how any baby could possibly break a bassinet that badly. What did they do, throw it out of an upstairs window??? Use it for a goal in a game of hockey? Let half-grown kids jump all over it??? I can't IMAGINE how something could get that badly broken! It's almost like they ran over it with a car, bolted it back together just to say "**** you" and then gave it back to you. UUUGGGHH I would be SOOO PO'ed! I agree with at least sending out an email saying you're in need of a new bassinet since YOURS is BROKEN beyond recognition (subtle jab there).
What an awful way to treat something that doesn't even belong to them!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The irony of all of this is last night I attended the wake of aforementioned BILS's Wife's father and she just found out I'm expecting (they are divorced now).

She said to me "Well, at least you have a Bassinet!" I just stared at her.

DH is repairing it. He fixed the cracks with wood glue and sanded down the big gashes. We are going to a wood working shop today for the support pieces and will have to bolt them together, so it will not be something that can be taken apart and put back together easily. But it will be serviceable.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
February 1st, 2014, 03:44 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut about that comment, but then my mouth tends to go sometimes before my head can think
I'm glad DH is working on it and I hope it turns out well.

February 1st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad your DH is able to fix it!
Also, good for you for not telling her off or something. Not sure I could have managed that.
February 2nd, 2014, 11:40 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I would be furious. Then again, this is why I am extremely selective about who I lend my things to. It's usually only my closest friends.

February 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
OMG that is SOOOOO rude!!! I can't even believe that! So sorry to hear about this

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search