My Ultrasound Tuesday - Question please & loss Mentioned :(

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We went in Tuesday at noon for my first ultrasound & blood work. Everything seemed fine. They did the over the belly one and then a transvag to get more detail since my bladder wasn't full at all. It was done by the U/S tech and she had someone she was teaching. Bubs measured 9 weeks, 6 days and Tuesday I was 10 weeks, 2 days...so just 3 day's "off" in measurements. The tech said she had to drop my urine off at the lab and would tell them I was coming for my blood work. I went in and changed and when I came out, I asked the "newbie" what the heart beat was.
She kind of looked at her papers and then said, I need to go ask the tech and left the room. I was taking pix of the U/S photo they gave me to upload to Facebook to show my family and completely forgot to ask again when they told me to head down to the lab.
Got my blood work done and called hubby, he'd gone upstairs to his doc for his appointment. He said he was still there, to come on up. I went to his appt. with him and my phone rang. It was my OB's office. I let it go to voicemail since I figured it was about my appointment on this upcoming Monday.
We left the hospital and went to the dollar store. While he was in there, I checked my voicemail and it was my OB's nurse. She told me to call them back. Of course I called right back and the nurse asked if I was still in town (we live 45 mins away). I told her yes, she asked where, I said the dollar store. She asked if I could come in to see my doc today. I asked if everything was OK.................................LONG PAUSE......................................she said I hate to be the one to tell you, but there was no heart beat.
So we went in to his office and he scheduled me for a D&C on Friday morning, they're calling me tomorrow (Thursday) to tell me what time and what I'm supposed to do/not do beforehand.
My question is....should I get a 2nd opinion or just trust that he's right in not hearing/seeing a heart beating? He wasn't in the U/S room, just tech and newbie. I honestly don't know what to look at on an ultrasound but they did the blood flow, color thingy and every place showed blood flow (??) My ovaries and everything looked fine too. I haven't had any spotting, bleeding and my breasts are still tender. No, I'm not trying to talk myself into believing I'm not losing my baby.....I just want to be 1 million % sure he's right and maybe the "newbie" didn't mess up somehow. Am I wrong in this or should I trust what they did?
All opinions welcome, please feel free to give your honest one. This is my 2nd pregnancy, my first with Roman was 30 weeks, 2 days before he came early and we lost him 6 days later from hydrocephalus, spinal meningitis, cleft palate and cerebral palsy. No other losses/pregnancies.
February 5th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it would make you feel better ask for the second opinion. You don't want to leave a d&c feeling like they could have been wrong about seeing a heartbeat. At that gestation they should have seen a heartbeat, but never hesitate to make sure on something like that. the guilt from not finding out and being sure can be really hard to deal with. I'm sorry you're going through this. My first 2 pregnancies we found no heartbeat at my first appointment. It sucks.
..Michelle.. likes this.
February 6th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Just keep breathing.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Yes, ask for another ultrasound, and ask to see for yourself. I'm sorry to say that at 10 weeks, the heartbeat should have been pretty clear, but you should definitely have them check again. Sending you big hugs.
..Michelle.. likes this.
February 6th, 2014, 06:34 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
My heart breaks for you. I definitely agree with the other ladies. I would need to know 100% before a d&c..
..Michelle.. likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 6th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd for sure ask for a second check, can't hurt anything. I'm surprised they didn't have someone else come in and check while you were there...? I don't know what everyone else's dr's did with their losses but when I had mine last year, the ultrasound tech didn't find a heartbeat and she brought someone else in to check for it before they confirmed.

I'm so sorry that your going through this right now.
..Michelle.. likes this.
February 6th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear this.

You are always within your rights to ask for a second opinion. Further, if it would ease your mind to have one, then definitely get a second opinion.

((Hugs))
..Michelle.. likes this.

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
February 6th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs sweetie. I would also ask for a second u/s. In the past when I've had a loss the tech had a doctor come in to do the u/s to confirm. Or I was sent to another 'higher tech' u/s lab where they confirmed. Just for my peace of mind I'd want to know 100% as well. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
..Michelle.. likes this.

February 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh honey I'm just so so sorry.
I had a loss at 10 weeks, and when i went to my last ultrasound, it was done with a 'trainee' too.
How this was handled makes me so upset for you!
How could they not have kept you there and had you talk to the dr? Or not have noticed that very second that there was no heartbeat? I mean they kept you there and gave you pictures! That just seems cruel.
When I had a loss at 10 weeks, I knew within seconds of starting the ultrasound. The looks on their faces, not being offered to hear a hb, and they stopped right away and had me talk to the dr.
I would call your dr and ask a couple questions. I'm curious if they have a video of the ultrasound? If they do, and the dr can watch it to know for sure, I would skip the heartache of another. But if it's just taking newbie's word for it, I would definitely get another scan.
Oh i'm just so so sorry.
..Michelle.. likes this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
February 6th, 2014, 08:04 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. I would definitely ask for another ultrasound just to put your mind at peace so you know for sure. Not to give you any false hope but my sister in law had something similar happen to her. her dr told her that she had an ectopic pregnancy and that she needed to terminate it immediately. She had no pain at all so she went to see another dr who did another ultrasound and indeed found a baby and that baby is now my 4 year old nephew. So if she would have listened to the first dr she would have terminated a perfectly healthy baby. I know if it was me I would ask for either a second opinion or another ultrasound just for your peace of mind.

I had an ultrasound at 11 weeks when I found our baby had no heartbeat but mine was done by my dr and he explained everything to me while we were seeing the ultrasound so I never had any question. I think if I would have had a question I would have asked for another ultrasound.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 6th, 2014, 08:09 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I'm VERY upset on how they handled this. They should of told you in your office by your doctor.

I would get one more ultrasound to confirm.

I'm sorry sweetie. Big hugs.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
February 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your input and kind words Currently waiting on the hospital to call and tell me what time tomorrow I'm supposed to come in. I was told they do another U/S before a D&C just to double check but at 10 weeks, something should have been seen if there was a heart beat. So, DH and I are waiting on that call to see what our options are (if they really DO do one or if I need to schedule one).
Like I said, it pretty much is for peace of mind. I don't want to keep waking up and asking myself "What if they were wrong?" or "Maybe they just missed something?" I *think* I'm ready to accept it.....but need a little reassurance that Baby T is actually "gone."
February 6th, 2014, 08:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad that they do another ultrasound before they do the D & C. I just hate that you are having to go through this. But you are right for your peace of mind you need to be 100% sure and not have to ever ask yourself what if they were wrong. Your in my thoughts.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so very sorry. I think the way everything was handled was awful as well. I am glad you are able to get a second opinion before hand. When I had my second one it made me much more confident in getting the D&C. I am so sorry you are going through this.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

February 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
It honestly should be standard practice. One last look just to make absolute sure. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I asked for and had a second U/S done for my last loss. It gave me peace of mind that the original tech did read the U/S correctly. The hospital also did one at the time of the D&C.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
February 6th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Thoughts and prayers!
..Michelle.. likes this.
February 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM
We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
..Michelle.. likes this.

February 7th, 2014, 07:53 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so so sorry. I agree with the ladies that this was handled extremely poorly. I think it's good that you're getting a second look. I know I would need that too, just to know for absolute sure. How awful that you got so excited only to be let down. Big hugs!!!!

Also, even if there is still no HB tomorrow, maybe think about asking for a photo to keep of your bub? I have one little ultrasound photo of the bean I lost, and I had to hunt it down after the fact at the hospital records dept. Sometimes it helps later to have something to look at to remember hat little life.
..Michelle.. and Ame C like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 7th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Went in at 10am and got all the prep done. OB came in to talk to me as he's the one who does the procedure. I told him I was concerned that maybe they missed something and wanted another U/S done. He said at 10 weeks they should have seen one pretty much right away and after Baby T measured 9weeks, 6 days and not early; one should definitely have been seen. But he knew I was concerned and did another one Sometimes the guy really ticks me off but today he was really nice. He printed me off a photo of Baby T's U/S and we went on with the D&C after that.
Right now we are WTTC until I have 2 regular menstrual cycles (per OB request) so after that I'll head over to the TTCAL board and hopefully see you lovely ladies again really soon!
to you all! Thanks again for your kind words, I truly appreciate every one of them!!!!

My U/S pic:

Last edited by ..Michelle..; February 7th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
February 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm glad he did another one just to give you that peace of mind we need. Sending you lots of hugs, T&Ps. Sorry I'm at a loss for more comforting words, but you'll be in my thoughts. Hugs.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search