Plancental Location and Gender Determination?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By MrsHopeful

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Super Mommy
Just read a little bit about this..
Gender prediction at 1st Ultrasound (as early as 6 weeks) - April 2011 Babies - WhatToExpect.com

It's kind of interesting
So would this mean I'm having a girl?
Although this was an internal scan so I'm wondering if that changes things?

I thought it would be fun to see how accurate it is for those of you that already have little ones or know the sex of your baby already! Supposedly it has to be an ultrasound that was done earlier than 10 weeks. Can anyone vouch for this crazy technique?

Last edited by MrsHopeful; February 8th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
February 9th, 2014, 07:04 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read about this and I am skeptical. I had my first U/S at 7 weeks and we could not see the placenta yet, only the yolk sack. At 9 weeks we could see the placenta and it was Anterior, right out in front. It was not left or right. What about those placentas that are in front or in back? Or are down over the cervix? Or right up top? So I'm a little skeptical.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
February 9th, 2014, 07:04 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow cool! I don't know which side either of my boys were on with the placenta, so I couldn't say, but they were both anterior with the placenta. I know that's not what makes the difference in gender, but it's interesting the placenta seemed to implant in the same place both times.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 9th, 2014, 07:09 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
There is a lady in my PR that has been correct with all guesses I have seen her make based on Ramzi method she always asks if it was a transvaginal or abdominal ultrasound so she can orient herself. It was correct with both of my kids.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 9th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
It was right for both of my boys. But I can't tell where the placenta is in your picture so your guess is as good as mine.
geogeek likes this.
February 9th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Super Mommy
How cool! Leia, I know that there's all kinds of things you have to make sure of like the u/s has to be done in transverse mode or something like that..and then only the transvaginal ones show the accurate left/right, if it's abdominal I think you switch it..Idk, lol. I'm still skeptical too Mainly because I don't know how it can be possible

BUT I'd say I've seen many more women say that it was accurate than that it wasn't. It is kinda interesting how often it is true! Which is kinda cool

So my doctor mentioned this little dot may be the baby at one point during the u/s and then I zoomed in on it on my phone and I'm thinking this looks like my little jelly bean to me! What do you ladies think? Does it look like baby to you? I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks when I have my next u/s. I am so incredibly impatient lol.

February 9th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I would wait the couple of weeks. It is a lot easier to tell at a 7-9 week ultrasound.

February 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Here are mine...both transvaginal.
Dorian: more on the left

Marsi: more on the right

February 9th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Just keep breathing.
I'm having a girl, and my placenta is anterior. So, I'm not much help to the theory
February 9th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Wait, you mean when you have the U/S you have to reverse the pic? Which way is left and which way is right? Is only a Transvaginal U/S the kind that can tell or is it the regular way? If it's TV, then how do you know what's left or right, if you are looking up?

This is getting too scientific.

Wife to Big Bull 40

February 9th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Super Mommy
LOL I guess it depends on the settings that the tech is using from my understanding. So whether it's transvaginal or abdominal, it may be inverted or it may not be. I guess there's no way to tell unless you ask. Sooo I will definitely be asking when we go for my 7 week scan

February 9th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I don't know specifics honestly. My friend has done all the study on if you mirror it or not. I just know what she told me. Since placentas migrate during pregnancy, it is important to use ultrasounds from 9 weeks (11weeks?) or less to get the info. You can have anterior or posterior, but it can still be slightly to one side or another and that is what you look at. If you see Marsi's ultrasound, she was posterior but more on the right. Does that help?

February 9th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Super Mommy
Yes, it does! It's really interesting. I'm glad I'm having another u/s before 9 weeks so I can test this out! I feel like it's almost so accurate in most cases that you can almost count on it being right every time. Who would've ever thought you could have a really good idea of the sex of your baby as early as 6 weeks! I just have to remember to not get my heart set on anything according to this theory, lol. Just in case I am one of the few that it's wrong.

I thought that girls were supposed to be more towards the left side? Were yours the mirror image?

I am even more excited for my next scan now, LOL! The tech is probably going to think I'm crazy but oh well.

Last edited by MrsHopeful; February 9th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
February 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Super Mommy
I just found this comment on a board...this person seems to know what they're talking about, LOL
And this would make sense, and would fit for you, geogeek!

"THE LEFT OF THE IMAGE/SCREEN SHOWS THE PATIENT'S RIGHT FOR BOTH TRANSVAGINAL & ABDOMINAL

Transvaginal ultrasounds and abdominal ultrasounds do NOT differ in their perspectives.

For BOTH, the view on the image/screen is from the perspective of the sonographer.

*** This means that the left of the image of the image/screen is the patient's right, while the right of the image of the image/screen is the patient's left. ***

This applies to transverse ultrasounds (which is the typical type of scan at 6 weeks).
(Sagittal ultrasounds show neither left nor right).

Please refer to www.mainehealth.org/em_body.cfm?id=...

OTHER NOTES ON THE RAMZI METHOD

It's about whether the placenta is starting to form (not where the fetus is). You can take a guess from your ultrasound pic, but the only way to KNOW is to have an ultrasound that shows the blood flow (which is what Ramzi used).

If the placenta is forming on the right (which will be left on the image/screen), then it indicates a boy.

If the placenta is forming on the left (which will be right on the image/screen), then it indicates a girl."
geogeek likes this.

February 9th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I'm too tired to understand this - I'm getting confused with terminology. I should have paid attention if the scans were flipped or not, but the placenta this time around was right there in front, so maybe it didn't matter. One scan shows him cuddled up to it like a blanket.

I'll read it again when I have sleep. Ha, who am I kidding, I'll never have sleep.

Wife to Big Bull 40

February 9th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Leia, do you have a scan pic from before 11 weeks?

February 10th, 2014, 05:34 AM
I do have a scan from 7 weeks but there is no placenta that we could tell, just the yolk sac. If the placenta was there, she didn't point it out.

I have scans from 9 and 12 weeks and she did point out the placenta, both times up at the top of the scan, which now that I'm thinking about it, must mean the scans were reversed, since both were belly shots and the placenta is anterior - but my OB told me it was low, but not near the cervix.

My 20 week scan shows the baby actually holding the placenta, and that one shows the placenta at the bottom of the scan, so that was not reversed. Interesting. That was done by a different U/S tech.

Does that mean that some techs reverse the scan and some do not?

Wife to Big Bull 40

February 10th, 2014, 06:39 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think mine was correct for both Jackson and Jacob but my placenta was almost right in the middle on this one so it was impossible to tell whether it would make him a boy or girl.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search