Well, that turned into a long day

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Schofield06

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also posted in my DDC.

So after DH and I dropped DD off at class day today we were going to head over to Ikea to check some things out, they don't open until 10 (sigh, what?), so we decided to head right next door to Lowe's instead to look at tile for the kitchen. Then over to the hospital for my appointment, but first we stopped in the store there to see about replacement parts for the PIS pump someone gave us. Well the manager tested the pump to see if it was good and it turns out it only has about half the suction it should according to her tester (which she seemed to be having trouble with as she deals with Ameda's more than Medela's). So we'll just request the one from our insurance company as originally planned.
Then headed up to our appointment. Nurse checked weight, urine, and BP. They normally test it once and it's a little high, they wait a few minutes and test again and then it's in the normal range. Well today it went up, so they decided they'd test again after I met with the doctor. Met with the doctor, went over insulin (I've done 3 doses so far) and blood sugars. She said I'd start NST at 34 weeks unless something changed or my BP didn't come down. And start weekly appointments at 36 weeks. U/S went well, baby was moving great and my fluid is still in the normal range. She'll measure her for growth next appointment. Then the doctor decided we'd better start NST this week.
The nurse came back in and retested my BP, still elevated. Not high enough to be an emergency, but enough that they wanted to send me to L&D (luckily it's only 2 floors up) and the lab to get blood and urine work done to check for PreE. Also, the doctor wants me to test my BP at home twice a day now. So she put in a prescription for a monitor.
So off to the lab, which was quick today. Then up to L&D to get hooked up to the monitors and wait for lab results. Well like last time it did come down some, but not really into the great range. But baby was doing good. The doctor came in and said he was going to consult with my high risk doctor and see what they wanted to do. So my high risk doctor wants me to go on a low dose BP medication, test my BP twice a day, keep taking my insulin, and I'll have my first NST on Friday. So what started out as a 10:20 appointment ended up being 3 1/2 hour thing. Luckily DH was able to go just down the street to get us lunch (because with my insulin I can't miss a meal or snack). We just made it back to school in time to pick up DD without being late.

February 25th, 2014, 05:41 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was a very long day. I'm glad that your dr is keeping a close eye on your BP. Did you have any protein in your urine when they checked it? the PreE is why they induced my little guy at 38 weeks but my BP shot through the roof and my high risk dr thought it would just be better to induce than wait.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Just keep breathing.
Wow, what a day. I hope the blood pressure meds help.
February 25th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Melissa I did, but it wasn't enough for them to be concerned about I guess because they said it was normal to have some. But they did send off urine to be tested to see if my UTI is back, which I won't know for 3 days (if they get it rushed, otherwise I might not find out until Monday). Which would account for the protein.
Yea I think they'll be keeping a closer eye on me until she comes. I go in the morning to pick up the monitor and medicine and start that all in the morning.

So far my insulin is going well, no lows, and while my breakfast # was higher than we'd like it wasn't terrible. So I have to report back to the doctor this Friday what my sugar and BP numbers are and then see if she's happy with them.

February 25th, 2014, 10:05 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a long long day! No rest for the weary, eh?
I hope the BP thing is easily managed by the BP meds, and you can finish out the course! Sounds like you're having to do a lot of stuff to keep everything in line. Although it's a pain, I'm so glad we have the medical know-how now, to let babies bake a bit longer than way back in the day!
Boos Moo likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 26th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Yes me to. Even though I had GD with DD it wasn't as complicated as this time around. But we are looking at 10 years later, so I'm sure a lot has changed in health care since then.

February 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Picked up my monitor today, and if it's accurate (I really have no idea how accurate these home machines are) I was higher than they'd like, but lower than needing to call in. Got my BP medicine also, so I'm testing after an hour to see if it changed and brought it down.
Insulin is going well, no lows. I've been making sure to eat every 2 - 3 hours to avoid going low (though I was doing that with the pills also, well except at night when I'm sleeping). I'm getting the hang of getting the medicine into the syringe without almost dropping it all.

February 26th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad things are looking better today! I hope everything looks good on Friday for you!
Boos Moo likes this.
February 27th, 2014, 07:17 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad your BP is ok at home I've heard the home machines are not as accurate as a BP cuff and a stethoscope, but if you don't have a live-in nurse, haha, they're the next best thing. Also, I've heard it's best to take it on the same arm each time.

That's great about the insulin. Sounds like it was a good choice.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 27th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah the directions say to use your left arm, so that's the arm I've been using. I hope to remember to take it with me tomorrow and see if it's close to the readings their machine gives (if they'll check my BP at the NST).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search