Anyone still doing chores?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still doing the lions share of the chores and finding it more and more difficult. Anyone else?

DH took over taking care of the chickens, but I still go out often and feed them and treat their wounds. Today I was out there and the rooster kicked the crap out of me for handling his girls. I yelled at him and he backed down, but I was winded after spending 20 min out in the cold grabbing chickens and tending to them.

I'm also still stocking the woodstove routinely and feeling very achy afterwards. There are some nights when I stock it for the night that I just can't finish and DH gets really POd because he has to take over. It's not his job and he thinks I'm being weak. I want to do my share, but the logs are so heavy and bending over is so hard now.

Laundry? Forget about it. The washing machine is down two flights of stairs, which means I have to bring a full load up two flights of stairs when it's done. Anyone else struggling?

Oh I don't mean to whine. I really thought I could be a tough ol' bird to the end.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
February 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Just keep breathing.
I'm doing chores- but they're wimpy city apartment chores, not tending livestock and chopping wood! Leia, you're totally still a tough old bird

Vaccuuming, dishes, cleaning the bathroom, dusting, taking care of the cat and dog (food, brushing, nail trims, teeth cleaning, etc). Mopping. All I do is swiffer-wet-mop- we leave our shoes in the carpeted entryway, and we wipe our dog's feet before she comes inside (or she wears wimpy city-dog shoes herself!)

Just last week DH said he didn't want me doing carrying laundry up & down 3 stories any longer. So, that is going to pile up until the weekend when he can carry down the whole batch. I'll still go up and down to switch the loads, but he'll do the hauling.
February 27th, 2014, 03:54 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Leia, you just need to give your DH a swift kick in the nuts and then tell him to go do his chores and see how well he can accomplish it. Then tell him that's how you feel while trying to do them. He needs to stop being a baby and do stuff for you so you can MAKE the baby. Sheesh! Men.
lelila, Schofield06 and Boos Moo like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 27th, 2014, 04:28 PM
LOL! I do feel like I got kicked in the YOOHOO right now, I'm getting pushed so hard in the cervix. But in all fairness to DH, when he's at work, he can't do the chores, so I'm it. When he's home, well, I wish he wouldn't make me feel like a chooch for panting and grunting when I do try to do them.

I just have to remember, Abigail Adams birthed 6 kids all on her own, on a farmstead, while John Adams was off in the congress. She took care of the farm, the garden, the kids, etc right up to the end. So I have to man up and take one for the team, just like Abby. Right?

Wife to Big Bull 40

February 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Haha. Abby must have been part superwoman. Either that or she started having kids when she was 16 and so she was only 23 or 24 when the last one came along...she probably also had help from her community.
Either that or we're all just total pansies.

February 27th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure Abigal totally had the older kids doing most of the stuff Plus what's that saying about the way history is written... basically meaning she could write it to make herself look good.
I'm sorry DH is being so **** annoying, especially since you could literally give birth anytime now.
As for chores here - well I do sneak washing some dishes sometimes (usually when DH isn't home at night if I have the energy). Today though they might just stay in the sink from dinner (I did make dinner and wash the pot and a few other things), I'm so tired and my blood sugar was near low where they don't want it after I took a nap (darn naps). And I'm doing my laundry still and the towels/sheets (everyone else has been doing their own laundry since before I was pregnant as they are all old enough). And most days I vacuum (though DH did today since I was laying down with swollen feet). But that's about it. Oh and I do still manage to feed the chickens, though our rooster (and 3 out of 4 of his hens) are bantam Cochins, so very small and sweet. So no rooster beating me up.
I couldn't imagine trying to bring in the firewood. DH brings it in (we don't use it much because until today it's been in the 80's a lot), and if he works that evening I keep the fire going until bedtime. So just putting logs into the fireplace.
And we don't have stairs, I could tell you if we did I might just stay on the bottom floor by this point because some days it hurts to walk.
So you're doing far better than me in all that. And yeah I bet that Abigail was very young when she started having kids - going to have to go read up on that.

February 28th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish your DH would stop giving you a hard time about stuff!!! It kind of drives me nuts that he is...

I still do chores, but I don't do much of them and they don't get done often. I do however much I feel like doing. lol We have a wood stove for heating and my DH has gotten better about stoking it when he's up. After we go to bed though it's all me. My DH would just let it go out and start it again in the morning (I just couldn't do that. I hate cold, and I don't sleep well anyway.) I definitely don't like doing it, and I wish he would get up if I asked, but it is what it is. At least if I have a hard time he's kind of understanding about it though.
February 28th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He needs to put on one of those pregnancy bellies and carry the extra weight around for a week & I agree with Everydayjoy about kicking him in the nuts. You do your best and if you can't handle it then your health and the health of your baby is more important.

I'm not doing a whole lot during the week but I'm trying to keep the house tidy on the weekends. It's getting harder but I have nothing to do compared to you!!! I feel bad for whining now after reading your post. My laundry is downstairs too but only down 1 flight, my weekend ritual is laundry, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, kitchen, sweep and mop and bathe the dogs if needed. I can usually get all of that done in 1/2 day if I'm not interrupted or being too lazy. I wish I could come help you, I hope it gets better for you!!! You need to be careful and take care of yourself. Don't overdo it and tell your DH to BACK THE F OFF your doing your best
EverydayJoy likes this.
February 28th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks ladies, but really, I don't feel like I get that much done. The bathrooms are really the weak link (there are 3, but the basement one is DH's because the cat boxes are in there) the other two I do but I can't get on my hands and knees anymore and do the showers/tubs. I'm so embarrassed by them.

The vacuuming/mopping is horrible too. We have a big house and it's all hard flooring. With all the dogs/boots tracking in mud and wood pieces coming in, I sweep and vacuum every day and the floors are still horrible. Because I'm working every day, I don't get to it and again, I'm embarrassed by how horrible the state of everything is.

*Sigh* One thing at at time right? We are all doing the best we can. You are all doing fantastic jobs girls!

Wife to Big Bull 40

February 28th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I just wish my DH would volunteer to do chores without me asking for help. It's like, you see the laundry starting to get a little out of control, do a load. Or take your coke cans to the kitchen instead of waiting until you have a small tower of empty cans staring you in the face<-- That one drives me NUTS! lol... Sometimes I want to crush a can against his head The thing is, I can't stand looking at the empty cans so I end up cleaning them up before he does. My favorite is when I go to clean up the cans and he says "leave them there, I will take care of it." -- Next morning, he's at work, I walk in the living room and what do you know, cans....
EverydayJoy and MelChicago like this.
February 28th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Just keep breathing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame C View Post
I just wish my DH would volunteer to do chores without me asking for help. It's like, you see the laundry starting to get a little out of control, do a load. Or take your coke cans to the kitchen instead of waiting until you have a small tower of empty cans staring you in the face<-- That one drives me NUTS! lol... Sometimes I want to crush a can against his head
OMG, I'm totally with you. It's like they are selectively blind. My DH's specialty is clothes on the floor. Like, he just walks down the hall or through the living room peeling off socks, sweaters, etc. And then totally forgets they are there. He'll pick stuff up if I tell/ask him- I just wish he would use his brain!
Ame C likes this.
February 28th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame C View Post
"Just leave them there, I will take care of it." -- Next morning, he's at work, I walk in the living room and what do you know, cans....
Uh huh. Yep. I'll do it! Sure I will. And then...nope, you end up doing it anyway. Grrr! Good thing I don't work, else I'd get a bit more PO'ed about picking up after him!
Ame C likes this.

March 1st, 2014, 07:21 AM
Boy of Boy Ame you hit the Hammer with the Nail! The pile of clothes on the table after each work day that gets bigger and bigger. And those infamous words "Leave it, I'll take care of it."

Oh yes. Are all our husbands related?
EverydayJoy and Ame C like this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 1st, 2014, 10:28 AM
They're all men. That's related enough.
Just remind yourselves ladies...men see the big picture...women see the details.
I have to remember I would never have the brain to do what my DH can do, like taking charge of a scene at an ambulance call and directing all the radio chatter, telling everyone what to do. Knowing how to get to any major city in the US without needing a map. Being able to tell me based on what mile marker he is at, exactly how many minutes it will take him to get home.
Now, all those things aside....let me tell you what I can do! lol, j/k. We all know we're good at the details...just leave the big stuff to the guys. However, that's not to say that an old dog shouldn't be able to learn new tricks. Because, sometimes the little details end up becoming part of the "big picture" if the lady of the house gets PO'ed!
Ame C and Boos Moo like this.

March 1st, 2014, 07:10 PM
Just for the record Joy, you can drop me anywhere in the WORLD and I can find my way to a designated location if I have a map. I actually gave directions to a native Czechoslovakian in Czech who was lost in Prague and stopped me for directions while I was sight seeing.

That being said, I still get lost when I travel to DC. That town is horrible!

DH can change the breaks on the car. So can I.
DH can handle a 16 in chainsaw. So can I.
DH can run the tractor. Uh, no. I can't. But I bet Anna on this board can!

Hahaha! I will not admit that DH can do anything I can't. I'm WAY too stubborn!

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Just keep breathing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelila View Post
Just for the record Joy, you can drop me anywhere in the WORLD and I can find my way to a designated location if I have a map.
Me too- I just *know* where I'm going. DH doesn't even try to look at maps anymore. I try to spare his pride
EverydayJoy and lelila like this.
March 2nd, 2014, 05:28 AM
That reminds me of the movie "Cars" and the minvan that says "I have the GPS, never need a map again." I hate GPS and LOVE my maps!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 2nd, 2014, 06:45 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're old school and use maps as well. I can tell directions (like I always know which way is north, etc), but DH is way better about finding places than I am. And I'm pretty sure I could drive a tractor (did when I was a kid). But Leia, I bet you can do it all- you're like our own Pioneer Woman!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 2nd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Wow Leia, you CAN do it all! If I am ever lost, need to build a fire or a shelter, or hunt for food, remind me to take you with me! Abigail Adams ain't got nothing on you!
I'm not very good with directions, and it bugs my DH because he'll say, "I'm at exit 192 right now." And I'll be like, "What does that mean???" Even though he's already told me, he'll sigh and remind me, "That means I'm 192 miles from Portland." Or trying to tell me to turn west or east or south, etc, I'll be like, ummm is that left or right? I never thought I was bad with directions until I met him! I got around pretty well before him with Google maps (hadn't had a GPS until after we met). But yeah, if I'm ever lost, I'd want him with me.

March 2nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joy, those directions only work if the mile markers are consistent with the miles from the start or finish of the highway. Many states don't do that or if the highway crosses state lines the markers might change with the change of state. I'm in NYS and we have several highways that cross to a different state and the exits and mile markers actually change when you cross state lines. So I will say I'm at exit 4 and then 5 miles later, I'm at exit 189. Very confusing.

Wife to Big Bull 40

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search