MIL-isms

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2014, 06:13 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my latest rant on my MIL, I had to share this latest one, which is, funny to say the least. Please feel free to add your own MIL-Isms. Come on ladies, you all know at least one even if your MIL isn't crazy like mine.

Yesterday MIL showed up at the house 30 min early to pick up DS (She does this on purpose. She thinks if she is here when DS comes off the bus, we'll let him go to her house for the afternoon, but the deal is he has to have a good report from school and get his homework done).

As extra enticement to get me to let DS go to her house, she brings over another of her grandchildren for DS to play with and he asks me about the baby in my tummy and asks what color his eyes will be. I tell him all babies are born with blue eyes and then they change after a little while if they are going to be a different color.

MIL says "No, the doctor puts drops in all babies eyes to TURN them blue. It's been like that for YEARS. No baby is born with blue eyes."

I'm telling you, you can't make this stuff up.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
March 15th, 2014, 06:35 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Even the eyes that mom refuses the "drops"? lol! You seriously can't make this crap up! My MIL is pretty sane and doesn't speak English well so I really don't have much to say about her. My FIL on the other hand is bat crap crazy (clinically medicated) and has loads of opinions about lots of stuff.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 15th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Just keep breathing.
Wow. Just... wow.
Nothing I have tops that. Once my MIL was talking to DH, not sure about what, he was probably saying something about his job or whatever, and MIL said to him, "Well, since Mel is a life coach, maybe she can help you with that."
I'm honestly not sure if she was being sarcastic. She's like that- uber sweet and sometimes almost silly/dumb acting- but I think she's being a bit manipulative.
March 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Come On Rachel, let's hear the latest FIL-Ism.Mel, can you Life Coach my MIL?

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 15th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Oh, just the normal...if you swaddle them they will get deformed, but if they get cold they will get pneumonia and die. Oh and the don't look in their eyes or they will get bewitched or something like that...
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 15th, 2014, 08:25 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I am shocked. I would be inclined to think she was joking and laugh hilariously when she said it...probably only to find out that she wasn't joking. Oops. lol!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
My MIL, ughhh..... where do I start?

When we lost Clyde, like literally a week or two after, my MIL came by to visit us. She brought some "stuff she had bought for Clyde" with her to give me. An outfit, 2 bibs, a stuffed camel that she named Clyde because of some lame song about a camel named Clyde. Horrified and fighting back tears I watch as she sings the Clyde camel song. I totally lose it! Bust into a hysterical crying fit and to make things worse she says something like "Oh you don't know what pain is. I'm hurting more than you because not only did I lose my grandbaby, I have to see how much it hurts the two of you (dh and I)."

All I could think to say was "F*CK YOUUU!" and shove the stuffed camel in her big mouth! Instead I said and did nothing at all....

Most recently she was supposed to come to Toren's baby shower yesterday. Actually, she was supposed to be my ride to the shower. Never came to get me, never called to tell me otherwise and didn't answer her phone, return my calls or messages to her while I was trying to figure out what was going on with her. I drove Toren and myself to the shower and she never showed up... or called. DH was pissed!!!! Not that she didn't go to the shower, but that she was supposed to pick Toren and I up and take us, because that's what SHE wanted to do! DH went to her house while I was at the shower since she wasn't answering his calls either. I guess whatever she told him wasn't a good excuse because he didn't want to tell me. Said it would just upset me even more. Just to be happy I didn't have to deal with her bs at the shower.
March 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
HOLY $H!& Ame, My MIL is funny crazy, but yours is Down Right MEAN!"you don't know what pain is" ? Are you friggin serious? She said that to you? That is more than nuts. I don't think I could ever talk to her again. Sweetie you have endured way to much to put up with that crap.And the shower thing. I don't even know what to say.

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Oh yea, she said it. She has said a LOT of things in the past that leave me speechless. I'm just glad she's not as involved in my business as she said she was going to be once Toren got here. She leaves me alone more now than she did when I was pregnant! Which is great!
March 15th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I am so glad for that Ame.
Ame C likes this.

March 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I am glad for that too. I know you were really anxious (with good reason) about how bad it was going to be when baby arrived, based on how bad it was when you were pregnant. Maybe you'll get lucky and she will one day be one of those people who gets their head bashed and then can't remember who they are or anything...and have a magic change of personality at the same time...hint hint...I do have some nice big cordwood on my porch. I bet Leia does too. And I bet she has bigger arm muscles than me. Haha. I wonder if that would work best. Hmmmm....the possibilities are endless.
MelChicago likes this.

March 16th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ame so sorry about your MIL and the shower. I'd be here to long talking about my MIL, but yeah she's pretty crazy. She would purposely show up to things (like DH's bday at the beach) 2 hours late, when she knew we'd only be staying about 2 hours, and then want to take DS to her house. Um, no. If you can't show up on time (or even close) don't expect me to do something for you. Her excuse was she had to stop at the grocery store for food for the beach and we hadn't talked ahead of time about her taking DS (while ignoring DD).

March 16th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Joy! I don't wish head trauma on anyone! But I would like her to get lost on the highway the day I go into labor.Mine is over today helping us split and stack wood. I was out feeding the chickens and cleaning the coop and she told me I was being stupid, that I should be inside with my feet up, because exercise isn't good for a woman who is 9 mos pregnant.

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 16th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Here's another Gem. So MIL is here today helping with wood and I'm outside stacking wood and she tells me not to because when she was pregnant with her second baby she tried picking up her toddler and it caused the baby to drop when she had 6 weeks to go and it was really uncomfortable.

So she says "And you don't want the baby to drop with 6 weeks to go." She knows my due date.I just looked at her. The insanity just continues. Love it.

And....

She says to me a little while later that I need to call her when I go to the hospital to deliver and I told her we haven't made a plan yet, that my water could break and who knows what will happen then. She smiles knowingly and says "Well you don't have to go to the hospital when your water breaks. It takes Hours, sometimes DAYS to deliver after your water breaks. You can stay here at the house until everyone is ready to come to the hospital for the delivery and then you can go.".

Wife to Big Bull 40

Last edited by lelila; March 16th, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
March 16th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yea I'm sure you'll be right on the phone just waiting for everyone to show up Um, not!

March 16th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos Moo View Post
Yea I'm sure you'll be right on the phone just waiting for everyone to show up Um, not!
Right? I said to her that I was going to call my OB and follow her directions. She smiled and said the doctor is going to tell me to stay home until the contractions are close together. Really? With the Hospital 45 min away? With a high risk, 40 yr old mom? Some how I don't think my OB is going to tell me to sit tight at my house.

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 16th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Family is awesome I don't share much bc I dont want to hear much. I mostly hear that "we're going to regret holding him so much". Which is a take on the "spoiling" theory. You know what- life is too short. If I want to hold my only baby that I've waited so long for--- I WILL!!!
lelila, Ame C and Boos Moo like this.

March 17th, 2014, 04:42 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
My mother in law is alright... The only thing that drives me nuts is she thinks I can't take care of my own family. For instance she is constantly bringing over dinner for us. Yes, she's being nice and it's a nice thing to do but she does it because she thinks we're too poor to buy food and I can't cook. -.- She also will bring over groceries all the time. We live very frugally at my house. DH works full time and goes to school and I'm only part time. We live on a budget here and it's obvious but the last thing I do is starve my family. The other day she brought over dinner and she looks in our fridge and we were almost out of milk. She turns to my FIL and says "Oh look they can't even afford milk. We need to bring some tomorrow." I looked at her and said "We can afford milk just fine. We are just almost out and I need to go to the store. No need to bring anything over." Sigh. What can you do?

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
March 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Wow Kayla! How condescending of your in laws. At least they could ASK if you need help instead of just assuming. I have a funny story about my MIL making a casserole for us when DS was born, to "Give us a break from cooking" when we brought him home. Then she came over 2 days after we brought him home and said "We thought we'd stay for dinner. We could have the casserole I made."

Sunrise, I have heard so many women get that same "you'll spoil them if you hold them too much" speech. Ridiculous! As you say, Life is too short! Hold your baby as much as you can!!!

Wife to Big Bull 40

March 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Oh my!!! I can't imagine having people for relatives who act that way!! Reminds me again why I don't have any contact with my dad's side of the family...they are crazy. Not so much in saying crazy stuff like that. Just overall crazy, haha.

Leia I loved how your MIL told you that you could hang out at her house till everyone has arrived and is ready to go to the hospital with you, THEN you can go. Haha. Hahaha! Yes, I will dutifully hold this baby in until you are all ready, you've all used the bathroom, you've had a snack, and chatted for sufficient length of time. THEN I will go and deliver this baby promptly so as not to inconvenience you. Hah!
lelila likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search