Wont be around much for a while...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By JackieV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
I have been mentioning that we might be moving, for a while now. It was going to happen then plans changed and it got put off, then we weren't sure anymore if we would be able to BUT now it's happening. There's still a lot of things we have to do before we get our house on the market and head to CO and we are hoping to get it all done in 2-3 weeks. I wont be able to check in here much. But once things calm down and we get settled in I will be back to my normal activity. I'm dreading the lonng drive with a 3 month old. Hopefully DS sleeps through most of it and doesn't have any devastating blow outs while we're on the road.

Part of our moving agreement is that I would have to sell my macaw, Otis. I actually said goodbye to him today A guy came by to meet him and it went okay. Otis was a little scared of him but seemed like he would warm up to him easily. I'm sad to see him go but I haven't been able to give him much attention the past 3 months anyways. Hopefully his new owner will be able to spend more time with him. There's just no way we could move a baby, Pomeranian, cat, AND a large bird. We don't have the room for it and there's a good chance we will have to stop and stay at a hotel. It's going to be hard to find one that will allow pets. We might even have to pay for overnight boarding for the cat and dog... I don't know any kennels that board birds. I feel guilty for letting him go... but we really felt like it was best.
April 9th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Just keep breathing.
Big hugs to you Amy! I will be thinking of you- moving is rough. Hang in there.La Quinta Inns and Red Roof Inns are pet friendly, if you do have to stay overnight.
Ame C likes this.
April 9th, 2014, 11:25 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw, I'm sorry to hear you had to give Otis away. Seems like he has been part of your life for a long time. I hope he adjusts well to his new owner, I know that had to be hard for you to give him up. Hugs! Moving is always hard. A tip for the road with Toren, is if you want to, sit in the back next to him for the drive. I do that still with Kody if it's a long drive, because I can scoot to the edge of my seat (with the seatbelt all the way extended) and pop a boob into his mouth if he gets fussy. He's facing me, being as how he's still rear-facing, so it works. I make sure to cover up if we're in traffic so no one gets an eyeful, haha. It really really helps to be able to do that, because often I can put him to sleep that way. And I don't have to worry about pulling over, nursing him, him falling asleep, and then trying to get him back into the carseat without waking him up. Just a thought! In case you hadn't already thought of doing that.
Ame C and Sunrise like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you have a full plate my friend. So sorry about Otis. That is tough, letting any pet go. Good luck with your move and the drive. You'll be fine and so will Toren!
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry that you had to give Otis away. I'm sure that was tough. good luck on your move. I know it will be great once you guys gets moved and all set up. don't worry about us we will be here when you get back.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Thank you ladies. Lol Joy, I actually did think about that but wasn't sure if it was possible without being a contortionist. I really don't know how the feeding will work. If I pump milk ahead of time, how do we warm up the milk? I guess we could stop at gas stations.. most of those have microwaves... If we stop each time for me to nurse DS we will end up spending more hours each day nursing than on the road. If I do formula just for the trip then what about me? My breasts will get full and painful and leaky. I have a hand pump but I seriously hate that thing.

I suppose I could hand pump, feed it to DS then if he's still hungry and fussy give him formula? I'm sure the trip wont have a dull moment.
April 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went to the beach when I was still nursing Jacob and Jacob was one of those that hated the bottle if mommy was around. What I did was climb in the back seat and pump and then Stephen would feed him the milk out of a bottle and then when we stopped I would nurse him more for comfort than anything. the last hour of the drive was terrible. He cried and cried and all he wanted was to nurse but we couldn't stop so I just sat beside him and tried to comfort him.

If you do feed him formula then make sure that you are pumping every 2 to 3 hours and emptying your breasts. you don't want to be in hell because your breasts are engorged.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you have the time or money to purchase another item.... my SIL had a travel bottle warmer that you can plug into you ac adapter in your vehicle. It came in handy. Might be worth looking into if you think that'll be the best option? Then you can pump ahead of time then warm the bottles as you go.

Good luck with the move. Whatever you decide, seems like it will be an intetesting trip
humnck likes this.

Last edited by JackieV; April 10th, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
April 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was also going to suggest the travel warmer, then you don't have to worry about taking the formula and having sterile water, etc. and, you can pump while traveling. It will work out, the first leg might be the figuring out, then once you get the hang of it, it will be a bit better. And if it isn't, just think, you only have to drive that one way We traveled 10 hours with Addy when she was about a month old, she slept a lot and when she wasn't sleeping, if she was fussy, I could hold the bottle from the front (I stopped bfing right before our trip). We did stop a couple of times to feed her, so the trip took a little longer than it should, but we made it work. You will likely have to stop to allow the dog to go to the bathroom, so maybe your DH can handle that while you feed Toren, maybe you can get the schedules together. GL and can't wait to hear how the move went once you are settled!

April 10th, 2014, 05:25 PM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
We sure are going to miss you around here and hope you get settled into your new home smoothly! I'm so very sorry to hear about Otis I'm sure it was the right thing to do for your family but I'm sure that doesn't make it much easier. Thankfully it was a smooth transition for him to his new owner. Big (((HUGS))). KUP when you can!
April 10th, 2014, 08:15 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do a practice run with the nursing in the car, to see if you can do it. It's a bit contortionist, but not awful, at least to me it was doable and worth it to have a happy baby. I just kinda tossed the nursing cover over the top if someone was passing us. Maybe try a half hour drive somewhere, or even a 15 minute drive and see if you can nurse him that way? It's easier to use the boob that's closest to him, but still possible to do the opposite one (although a bit more contortionist, for sure). Give it a shot, then you'll know what you'll be up against and can plan accordingly. By the way, remember that breast milk is good at room temperature for 6 hours, refrigerated for 6 days, and frozen for 6 months. So if you have BM that you've pumped, you can use it for a good portion of the day before you have to refrigerate it. They make some nice travel bottle things that are insulated, you can put the bottle or bag of milk in there and a small cold pack.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 10th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In case I don't 'see' you around here before your move, have a safe trip and congrats on the big move. Sorry about Otis, I know that must have been so hard. Hugs. You'll work out the feeding/traveling thing, and the ladies gave you some great advice. We'll miss you and can't wait to hear your updates.

April 14th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh ame! I'm sorry I've missed your post. I'm so sorry about Otis. That is difficult even if it is for the best. As for the car ride, I definitely recommend being in the back. We've been traveling 1-2 hour rides to see family and being in the back is critical. As for the contortionist boob-- do you need big ones to pull this off? Maybe I'm just too short?! I just accomplish this, lol.

April 15th, 2014, 02:23 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry about Otis. Good luck on the move and everything

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search