I'm alive!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe Isabell is a week old already! Where the heck does the timemgo? I'm exhausted and happy, trying to,adjust to this new life. She's great but she sure does need a lot. I only ever come online in my iPad and there is no,way to hold it and a baby to check in. At night she is up,frequently enough -- at those times I am also up,to pump!

Any exclusive pumping mommies? Any advice is welcome! Isabell seriously injured both my nipples. We've been to the lactation consultant and I'm pretty sure I'm done BF-- but for now I'm happy pumping. I'm pumping with a rented Medela Symphony every three hours for,fifteen minutes. DH laughs and laughs about my milker! Gotta love being married to a dairy farmer!

Anyhow I hope everyone is fabulous and I promise one day I will get a pic to share of my little,girl! Hugs ladies!!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
April 12th, 2014, 09:46 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow a week already! Time sure does fly. Sorry to hear about the injured nipples...ouch!! Glad the pumping is working for you. I'm not an exclusive pumper so no advice there, sorry!! Your DH is funny though, lol!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I EPed with Marsi and am pumping quite a bit this go around as well. I always pump for at least 20 minutes. My rule of thumb is to pump until 5 minutes past the last sign of milk. I usually have 3 let downs per pumping session. It sucks, but it has always worked for me. I also space it out a bit longer in the night time hours to about every 4 hours because Dorian is awake and needing me so the 1 really middle of the night session I am up for a good hour. I do still try to latch him on during the times DH is home so that we can still just breastfeed where it is more convenient.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I completely understand about time getting away from you during these early days. As for the pumping I pretty much exclusively pumped for the first 3 weeks. We tried getting her to latch on but she wouldn't, we worked with so many lactation consultants (in and out of the hospital). So we ended up pumping and bottle feeding (with supplementing with formula). I used the same pump. Sometimes I found it helpful to stop pumping for a minute and then start the pump back up. I also went for a few minutes longer than the last sign of milk (and each breast was different, one would drain before the other). My lactation consultants recommended eating oatmeal, drinking milk with olvatine, and taking some supplements. Also massaging (or milking if you will) your breast while pumping helps. Good luck.

April 13th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
A week already?! I'm sorry about your nipple and any BFing issues. I remember how hard it was that first week. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Hang in there with the pumping. I recommend putting a very warm wash cloth around your breasts before or while you're pumping. It helps the milk glads release the milk. Massage from under your armpits towards your nipples. Make sure you are eating! Skipping meals or going for several hours without at least a small snack will most likely affect how much you pump that day, or at least I can notice a difference. Same thing with water, drink lots of it!

There are actually common herbs that can reduce your supply. Just a heads up. Read this: Things That Can Decrease Your Breast Milk Supply: Causes of A Low Milk Supply

Last edited by Ame C; April 13th, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
April 13th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
One week!! Congrats on checking in during this drowsy time I'm not EP but I work with plenty of mammas that do. Tip: pump NO LESS than 7-10 times per 24 hours. Milk supply is directly related to stimulation. An ebf baby will nurse at least 12 times per day at this early stage, so your pump has to mimic that. With that said, let's talk about nursing-- your nips are still sore? Have you used lanolin to help heal them? Are you leaving them open to air? You're going for au natural no shirt, no bra, just freedom!! Leave them open to air to promote healing. Remember that these first days it's normal for the nips to be WAY tender!! My friend put it well when she described it as "if you can feel it in your toes, you're doing it right", lol. These first days ARE hard. IT gets BETTER! Good Luck!!

April 13th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls! Just taking a quick break to pump now. So far I am pumping regularly every three hours, so eight times a day. I'm aiming for a 3-6-9-12 schedule am and pm. If I miss one, I still pump late and aim to,get back to the next time ASAP. For example, I slept until four thirty this morning, pumped, and then still pumped at 6 so I wouldn't miss any stimulation time. My midwife had to give me a prescription cream for my nipples because I was slathering them with lanolin at every feeding but because of the number of open cuts she was worried about infection. Since I've been pumping no new cuts etc have popped up but watching them heal is pretty horrifying. My doula is coming on Monday to try another go round with actual bf-ing. I'm willing to try because it would just be easier but Isabell gets so angry when I try to latch her on. She was like that since the minute she was born. It makes me sad when she cries so hard and the solution is so simple! Sigh. I'll try to get back to posting some day!
Boos Moo likes this.

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
April 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wOW! A whole week already! I'm glad you are enjoying the finer points of mommyhood! I tried to BF DS1 for 4 weeks without success. He did the same thing your DD is doing. He would scream and cry and never really eat. I eventually went to EP and it was SO much better. He ate and gained weight and was SO happy.

It sounds like you have a great schedule going! Keep it up!

Wife to Big Bull 41
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 14th, 2014, 09:59 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad it's going good. I pump during the day after my babies start daycare and I usually pump for 15 minutes every 2 1/2 hours so it sounds like you've got a good plan, especially if your making enough milk for her.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 14th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad most everything is going well. I'm sorry about the bf issues and your injuries. I hope you can get things worked out how it's best for you.
April 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had the same issue with DD2, my nips hurt so badly. I EPd with both girls. DD1 had latch issues and DD2 just killed me and I wasn't getting any bonding with her because i spent the time crying. The latch was not the issue, just uber sensitive skin I guess. So, I pumped for a few weeks.

You have already gotten great advice and I don't really have anything new to add, except way to go! Congrats on the new bundle, happy 1 week

April 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont have any experience to share but happy to hear the updates. You sound so upbeat about everything!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search