c-section questions.....

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HeartHelloKitty
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting to get really nervous about my c-section. The time is creeping up slowing but so quickly at the same time. 9 ish weeks left since I'll be having baby a week or so early.

I always think the worst and I know a lot of my anxiety comes from all the complications I had during my daughter's delivery, plus reconstructive surgery after!

My question is to anyone who has had a planned c-section.

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand? I know I'll need some meds to calm me down before I'm rolled into be sliced open. I could use some right now to calm me down, can't imagine what the day of will be like for me.

2. What was recovery like for you? I know I'm not going to feel awesome shortly after but I'm just wondering how long it takes to get back to some sort of normalcy, like getting up and down with little problem/pain, running to the grocery store, fixing dinner, going to the mall/zoo etc. I know recovery time is several weeks before I'll actually feel pretty good but just curious about your experience.

Nothing out of the ordinary please! Just normal non eventful c-sections lol I'm already freaking out, I don't need to hear horror stories to freak me out more!
April 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine was an unplanned c-section but I wasn't really scared. They were very nice about keeping me calm and such. As for recovery, it helps to get up and walk as soon as you can. Mine was around 1am and the next morning the nurses had me walking laps every couple hours because they said it would help me get out of the hospital faster. I recommend staying ahead of the pain by taking your pain meds at the prescribed times even if you're not hurting yet.

You won't be able to drive for the first couple weeks until you're off the pain meds. I was able to do light housework after the first couple weeks but no bending or lifting.
cortln likes this.

April 14th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well each pregnancy is different, and so is each c-section. My 'sister' had 2, both planned. Her first was really good. She was up and about the same day at the hospital, I believe went home on the 3rd day, and didn't stay on pain meds long. Her second was the total opposite. Felt like she'd been hit by a truck and was a much longer recovery. I only had one, and it was 10 years ago so I know things are better now. But it took me so long to recover and the pain was so bad. I really wanted to be able to avoid having to have another c/s. But like I said I know people, and have other moms in my DDC who have had good experiences with c/s. I agree about the pain meds.

April 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Yeah I had a stat c section with my daughter and recovery was hell. I had to lay flat on my back for 2 weeks cause when your uterus, muscles and everything in between is cut open you won't want to lay on your stomach or sides. I threw up a lot during and after my c section. It took me weeks to recover and even then I wasn't 100%. I don't think I ever will be. I have nerve damage and my abs are just done for.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just saying it is very major surgery. So expect a difficult recovery. I will be trying for a vaginal birth this time just because I don't want that recovery again.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011

Last edited by kaylakay; April 14th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
April 14th, 2014, 02:49 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard it's a big difference between an emergency C/S and a planned one. A friend who had had both told me the emergency one was hell for recovery and she didn't feel like they put everything back together quite right because they were in such a hurry. Then she had a planned one and said it went really well and she healed well and didn't have the same kind of problems.
I would say give yourself 6 weeks to feel normal...that's how long you get off from work with a C/S so I'd guess you'll want at least that much time. It is major abdominal surgery, after all.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 15th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've posted this same question in several different places and I think I've only gotten about 3 bad experiences out of about 50 responses so this makes me feel A LOT better about things. I just hope it goes as well as most of the responses, I tend to be a baby and have a low tolerance for pain so we'll see!! lol
April 15th, 2014, 06:36 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For DS1 I had an emergency CSec and I was terrified, simply because everything was happening so fast and the baby was sick and in danger and back then I had an Epi, so I couldn't get out of bed for 24 hours. Recovery was rough after that because I refused to take pain meds. I was in pain for several weeks - and it was my own fault. I couldn't drive because of the pain.

This time it was still unplanned but since I had been in L&D twice before for preclempsia, we knew it was coming. I was not scared at all. I had a spinal instead and was able to move with in a few hours. I took my pain meds faithfully and once home, was up and about doing light housework two or three days after I got home.

This time around recovery has been a piece of cake. Once again, I'm my own worst enemy because I do too much and I do get sore after a few hours. My bleeding stopped after 11 days but I started with heavy chores last week and the bleeding came back. Every time I bend over or lift something heavy, the bleeding increases for a few hours.

I've had 5 major surgeries on my abdomen. I have so many scars now, I look like a tic tac toe board. My muscles are still in tact, the scars shrank down to the normal size already and feeling is restored to much of my abdomen already, though some spots I've lost feeling for good, but hey 5 surgeries, what can you expect.

Don't be scared. The key is to be a good patient. Learn from my mistakes and remember to take your pain meds and don't do the heavy lifting or bending. Keep off your feet if you can and rest as much as you can. You're going to be fine!
cortln likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 15th, 2014, 09:10 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had a c-section so I'm not sure. Why are you having a planned c-section? You may have posted about this and I missed it.

Ok I remember about your tear now. Never mind. I'm sure it will go great. I think I'd rather have a planned c-section than an emergency c-section.
cortln likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search