What's new with us lately

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By MoonAngel702
  • 1 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2014, 06:11 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey ladies, so a bit of an update. We have nailed down that we are going to move back up to Alaska by the end of summer/beginning of fall. We already applied for passport cards for our kids, now we just need mine and we're set as far as that goes. The car decided to need some work earlier this week, else I would have applied for mine as well. I'll take care of it maybe next pay period.

Josh just started a new job, which will make it possible for us to move so soon. It's a trucking job, but over the road. And he is going to be gone 4 weeks at a time, with 4 days off in between. Really sucky schedule, of course, and neither of us like it. But, with it being so short-term, we are going to suck it up and go with it. We're both really anxious to be back up in Alaska, we really feel like that's where we need to be, what will be best for the kids, and us. I want to live really simply up there, too, and get into a place that is a little more back to the way things used to be--you know, sending the boys out to fetch firewood when they're older, growing a big garden, growing medicinal herbs too and sewing clothes. Having hubbs take the boys hunting & fishing. Stuff like that. Leia, I might need a few pointers when it comes down to it!
melissalaw, lelila, Ame C and 2 others like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 18th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Just keep breathing.
Wow! That's an exciting change. Congrats to your DH on his new job. Though it sounds like it'll be rough having him gone for such long stretches, if you'll be in a place that makes you happier, that will be better for everyone.

Do you have family or friends in Alaska?
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 18th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Aww Joy, you mean your not going to move to CO with me so we can be neighbors?!

Your plans sound awesome, well, except for your DH being gone so much. That will be hard to deal with but at least it's only temporary. DH and I also want to live more of a country life. Lots of land to build on, chickens, garden, fun times. I have a friend who moved to Alaska last year and it looks so beautiful there from all the pictures she posts.
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you all have some great plans! Good luck with it all. I hope everything goes smoothly. Sorry your DH is going to be gone so much though.
April 18th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Mel, yes my husband has a lot of friends and a little bit of family up there, his stepdad and half brother live up there. He has a lot of friends (and I do too, by proxy) in the Homer area. We're not sure if we'll end up there or in a different part of Alaska. We just love it though. Will you end up in a place that has lots of land like you want?

Amy, sorry, not CO for us, but actually my mom and sister are both moving to Colorado Springs! My mom will be moving sometime this fall I believe, and my sis next year. Wonder if they'll be anywhere near you?

April 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow Joy, that is a big change. Alaska is such a hard place, but with determination, you can make it great. I know what you mean about wanting your kids to grow up simply. That's what we are trying to do here. It's tough, but you can do it. There are a bunch of great books out there about homesteading that I and a few of my homesteading friends have. You'll find them useful for gardening, livestock raising, sewing, canning, etc. The only question I have is how do you deal with the endless dark during the winter? Does it get depressing?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 18th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks, Leia. What are a few of your very favorite resources as far as books go? I've been checking books out from the library trying to see which ones would be good to buy before we go up. I want to just buy one or two really useful ones vs. a bunch of little ones that are about different things.
Does your son like living the way you do? I can't help but think my boys would really love having lots of room to roam. They might not relish the chores, but it'll be good for them.
As far as the endless dark, it's not so bad. We lived up there for about 3 years, and while winter isn't as easy as it is "outside" (lower 48), you do still get a fair amount of daylight. At its darkest, where we were, we'd get daylight about 9am, and then the sun would actually make an appearance about 10:15am. Then it would set about 4 or 4:30pm. Not a ton of daylight, but more than you might expect. Sure doesn't compare to the sun still being up past midnight in the summer! It's a little tough, psychologically, in the winter, but if you get out a lot it helps.

April 18th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow Joy, how exciting. I'd love to visit Alaska, but I'm such a whimp about the cold I'd never survive. I can't wait to hear about all the adventures
EverydayJoy likes this.

April 19th, 2014, 06:40 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joy, the best one we use is The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading. It has a picture of a garden, fabric and a chicken on it. There are a few others, but that one is the best because it goes over everything, even what to do with the kids, chores, crafts, etc.

My DS doesn't like the chores, but hey, he has to do it. He loves working in the garden when it yields a treat like fresh peas, carrots or broccoli. He hate weeding and he hates picking tomatoes and beans (our biggest crop). He loves digging for potatoes, but it gets old after the first few because it's hard work. As he gets older, he will get more chores.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Leia if you ever find a way to make kids like chores (long term anyway) let me know! LOL. DD goes through phases, some days she'll do them without being reminded and even do extra ones, other days we have to talk about chores for longer than it would take to do the chores.
EverydayJoy likes this.

April 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
Sounds like a great plan! I've never even been to Alaska but I know it is a beautiful place! And I think it will be great! Sounds very exciting!
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 21st, 2014, 11:20 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joy that sounds amazing. I would love to be a little more less dependent on the grocery stores and more dependent on the land. Sounds awesome And you must post lots of pictures of Alaska when you move. I have never been there but would love to visit Alaska sometime.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks ladies!
Leia, thanks for the book suggestion. That happens to be one I just checked out from the library! Hah. Haven't delved into it yet, but I will soon. Right now I'm caught up in studying herbal healing. It's fascinating. I feel like maybe I'd like to be an herbalist when I grow up. For now I'll settle for reading about it and researching online.

April 23rd, 2014, 09:23 PM
Well it sounds like enough of us want to visit that when you get settled and get a yurt set up we'll have to have a road trip I may have missed it, but (if you don't mind sharing) what part of Alaska are you thinking? When I was in the hospital I was watching a show 'Buying Alaska' it was really neat.

April 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds like fun, Therese!
We're thinking down in the Kenai Peninsula...when we lived there before, we lived near Homer. We liked the area, but need something where there is more job opportunities. So, maybe Sterling or Kenai or Soldotna.

April 25th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Hey Leia, have you read Deliberate Life: The Ultimate Homesteading Guide, by Nichole Faires? I checked it out from the library and it seems like it has a lot of good info. If you have read it, what's your take on it?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search