Holy Sore Boobies Batman! My desperate update

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 01:52 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS2 nurses and after a minute or two starts stretching and tugging on my nips. He pulls so hard, it feels like they are going to come off! I'm SO sore! I think he has gas and he's trying to get it out, but I'm not sure, but he won't keep still. This has been going on for a few days now and I'm really starting to not like giving him milk from the tap.

Any ideas?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013

Last edited by lelila; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:43 AM.
April 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Ouch. Sorry. Have you tried different positions? I know in the standard across the chest position Dorian does that, but not when in a side by side lying down position.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, I haven't tried a new position. Cross cradle is all I do. I'll try Football and lying down. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 22nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like gas or a burp. But yea try some other positions. Good luck,

April 22nd, 2014, 11:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No suggestions but sympathy! That is no fun!
April 23rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Ugh! I tried to post an update and it didn't go through so I'll try again.

Last night DS2 nursed from 7 to 11. I couldn't nurse the left breast it was too painful, so I pumped it and gave him a bottle and nursed the right side. But by 11 pm, I was pretty drained and little man was screaming, stretching his legs and pulling off his latch every minute or so.

I took out the formula for the first time. He didn't like it at first. He spit out the nipple and cried but then took it and drank nearly all of it. Once he burped, he looked around and fell asleep. That was about 11:30. He slept until 5 this morning.

I feel guilty that I couldn't keep up with his eating needs, but I'm glad I had a back up.

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't feel bad at ALL about the formula. I had a lot of pain in the beginning with Kody because he seemed to always have a shallow latch (still does, sometimes). So I did bottles for awhile...maybe about a month or so? And he did fine. We did some formula, some pumped BM. Give your nipples a break!

On a side note, is it maybe that he's pulling because he doesn't get letdown as fast as he would like? When he starts pulling on you, is it before or after letdown?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any advice for you. I know with Jackson we had a terrible time nursing at first so I did alot of pumping and feeding out of the bottle. So you might try that some and then nursing some but give your boobs a bit of a break on the nursing until they heal. I wouldn't feel bad about the formula. Could also be a growth spurt is the reason he is wanting to nurse so much. 4 hours of nursing would be hard even if he did have a good latch.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 23rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Toren does this to me all the time! I call it niplash (whiplash for the nips). It could be for any reason... gassy, trying to trigger another letdown, fighting sleep, playing, bored. Toren sometimes pops off, smiles at me or giggles then latches back on just so he can pop off again, little stinker. It sounds like Colt was hungry. I know around 6 weeks they do that a LOT to let your body know he's growing and therefore your body will know to produce more ounces during each feeding. It hurts at first (I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me) but try to let him do it if you can handle the pain that way your "girls" know to produce more milk. I recommend drinking a bottle of water when he is doing that. Sometimes when my breasts are empty, baby is popping off and I drink a bottle of water, it is enough to trigger another letdown. Definitely don't feel bad about the formula!!! Little man was hungry and filling his belly made him happy and able to sleep. Hang in there xxx

April 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks ladies for the reassurance. DS was definitely hungry, and I spoke to the Pedi today and she thinks the popping off and on is most likely from gas. He starts to cry while nursing, then starts to push, stretching his legs, then grunts hard, pops off his latch, gets red in the face and latches back on. This goes on for 20 or so min and then he fills his diaper or releases gas.

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 23rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor little guy. Their little digestive systems are still figuring everything out, I guess. Maybe too he hit a growth spurt so he is taking in more at each feed, and his intestines are processing it faster so he's getting more gas. I recall even fairly recently a few times where, for a few days or a week or so, Kody would grunt and bear down every time he nursed. I never did figure out what was with that, it's like, before that he was fine, and then he got to grunting and pushing when he ate. *shrug* who can tell? Too bad at L&D, instead of delivering the afterbirth, it couldn't be a individually-tailored, baby-specific manual? That would be so awesome. Then you would just look in the giant index in back for, "Grunting while feeding", or "Pulling at nipples".

On a side note, Kody started biting me a bit about oh, 4 or 5 months into it, almost like to tell me he was done or he didn't want it when I was offering it. I was thinking ahead to when he got teeth and was freaked that he would do that when he got older, so I would tap him firmly on the nose and say "no" when he'd do that. Of course he'd cry, poor guy. But it did get the message across, and he doesn't do that at all now, thank God! Because he has teeth and it would HURT. It hurt even when he had no teeth. Anyway, you, Melissa, and Amy's babies are awfully tiny to do that at this point. But maybe if he still does it when he's bigger, you might try some gentle admonishing.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 23rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After reading your other post I was going to suggest maybe he's hit a growth spurt and trying to get more. I agree though, don't feel bad about supplementing or taking a little break to help your boobs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search