Colic?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm afraid DD2 has colic Every night this past week she has anywhere from an hour to 4 hours of varying fussiness/screaming. It's getting really hard to handle. I can do something like giving her a bath or walking around outside, but after about 10 minutes of anything she starts crying/screaming again. Two days ago I ended up giving her 2 baths during the 4 hours because it meant quiet for awhile. So far each night it ends with me putting her in the moby wrap, putting on some rock/punk music and dancing/walking around (she seems to like pink and the ramones, but not a big kelly clarkson fan - LOL). Then getting her to sleep in her cosleeper and not my arms is hit and miss. Anyone have advice/tips?

April 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No advice, but hugs. Isabell has done the same thing for the last several days and I'm not sure what to do, either. I was just coming to ask about reflux because she spent hours screaming the last few days and she is impossible to console. She's also belching a lot and tiny bits of white spit up gurgle out when she belches. I've tried car rides even but she screams in the car and I don't like driving while she is crying. She screams until she is sweaty and soaked and needs a whole new outfit.

Yesterday I had her in the sling and bounced on the exercise ball for close to an hour. I was so scared she would start with her ear splitting shrieking again but I didn't want to move. My back was so freaking sore by the end of the night.

I'm not sure who to start with in case she has reflux but I can't handle too many more nights like last night and the night before. I hope you get some answers for Truely soon.
Boos Moo likes this.
April 23rd, 2014, 07:43 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Same here the past week. Colt nurses from 7 pm to 11 pm nearly every night and cries alot in between for 20 minute stretches. He grunts and pushes his legs until he poops and then eats again. Growth spurt? He's spitting up alot and I can hear his belly gurgle often.
Boos Moo likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 23rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh boy I remember those days well. Both my kids were fussy babies and I never could figure out what was wrong.
Some things I tried---
Colic Calm. Beware, it's black, so it will stain clothing. This can happen if they spit it up, too, so have them wear a bib.
A teaspoon or two of chamomile tea, brewed regular strength.
Boiron "Camilia"--it's for teething but may help with irritability, too.

Aside from those, just employing all the calming techniques you can think of...baths of course, with lavendar for soothing/calming; music, bouncing, walking, rocking, shushing, loud white noise (louder than the crying is), bouncing on an exercise ball with baby in arms or carrier, going for a ride, putting baby in the carseat and putting it on top of the running dryer (keep a close watch, it can vibrate off); swaddling snugly; changing clothes in case something is scratchy; dressing in all- 100% cotton (seemed to help DS1); check fingers/toes for a hair wrapped around.

Don't feel bad if you can't make your baby stop crying...chances are, there really isn't anything you can do except try to make it a little better. I tried everything, EVERYthing, and nothing changed the underlying problem, really, it just made it a little better at the time.

I did read a website about "The Period of Purple Crying" that basically said, it's normal, every baby goes through a fussy period about the same age (age adjusted for preemies), and they basically grow out of it. It's so hard to watch your babies go through it, but they are cared for, loved, and protected, and they know mom is there taking care of them. Sometimes they just get overstimulated and crying helps them let off steam. The little babies especially can get overstimulated easily, because their nervous systems are still immature. Crying is like a pressure valve that lets them get out all that stress and energy so they can relax.

Oh yeah...you can also try probiotics. Some babies seem to do better with probiotics.
lelila and Boos Moo like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jacob had colic and it was terrible so I feel for you. I know the only thing that would calm him down was nursing and rocking. He did like his swing and would sleep in it a little bit so that gave me a bit of a break. He wouldn't lay down flat so I had to either hold him or put him in the swing.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this I know how terrible it is.
Boos Moo likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 23rd, 2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone. Anna tonight I had a meeting and right at the end Truely started her screaming (she doesn't want her binx or bottle when she gets these episodes). So DD1 and I rushed to get all our stuff in the truck and head home. I don't like to drive when she's screaming either. She screamed all the way until the last mile (it's a 5 mile drive from school) which is our dirt road. Once we hit the dirt road she stopped and just zombie stared. So maybe the extra bouncy-ness of the road was a change she liked. Leia it sounds like Colt is really having a big growth spurt. Truely is only pooping about once a day to day and a half right now, but it's not hard or painful for her (in fact she exploded her diaper at the meeting tonight, yuck). Joy thanks for the tips, think I'll check out the probiotics soon. Melissa, thank you. So far Truely only likes her swing for about 5 minute stretches, maybe 10 if her mood is right. I think I should pull out her bouncy seat (still in the box) and see if she likes that better. So far her favorite position is being held. But during these episodes even that isn't helping her. It's been so long since my other 2 were newborns, but DH says he remembers having to drive them around from time to time. I hope it passes quickly for all of us going through these cranky periods. Luckily DH is off the next 2 nights so at least we can take turns helping her out.

April 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Wow Therese, only one poop diaper every day and a half! Some days I'm changing no less than 10 poop diapers a day. His diaper rash was awful! Yesterday I had a break. Only 6 poop diapers.

I think the probiotics is a good idea. Maybe the screaming is intestinal distress?

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 24th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Therese are you breastfeeding? I had a friend of mine that had to cut out dairy because it was upsetting her baby's belly. Wonder if that could be part of the problem.

I also wonder about the one poop a day. Christian poops 5 times or more each day.

the bouncer may work if she likes to be bounced. I know how terrible it is to drive with a screaming baby and it scares the crap out of me when he's screaming and then goes silent. DH made me climb into the back seat and check on Christian one time when he did that.

April 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Isabell is only pooping 1-2 times a day as well.

I'm breastfeeding (well, pumping and bottle feeding) but supplementing 2-6 oz per day with formula. I originally had Nestlé good start with probiotics in it. Her worst day was the day i switched to the good start without the probiotics. So maybe there is something to the probiotic thing? I bought the kind with probiotics in it today so hopefully that helps us.
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 25th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Anna, let us know how Isabell does on the Good Start. I used it for DS1 and he did well. I supplemented twice so far with Similac for DS2 and I suspect it's binding him since his stools are more solid and only 2 poop diapers yesterday - not at all normal for him.

Melissa - do you have any more information on the milk intolerance in babies? Is there any possibility that a baby could have an intolerance to their own mother's milk?

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 25th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Leia, I have read a lot on milk intolerance, so I'll throw out some of what I've learned. Babies can have an intolerance to their own mother's milk, but not because of the milk itself. The milk we make has tiny particles of the foods we eat, because anything that gets into our bloodstream is what ends up in our milk. So, the particles of what we eat that our intestines absorb, that's what baby gets. This means milk proteins, too. Often if babies have a problem with milk proteins, they have a problem with soy proteins, as well, because they're very similar. In order to find out if it's a problem, there's not really any test, so you'd have to do a trial and error by eliminating what you think might be bothering baby. If it's dairy, you have to give 2 weeks of no dairy for it to get out of your system, and consequently out of your milk, and then another 2 weeks for it to get out of baby's system. So basically that means a month of no dairy to see if it's helping. Some people try just the obvious dairy and soy, but if you want to do even more than that you can also eliminate hidden dairy and soy (much harder to do). That means anything with milk, soy, and their derivatives has to go. So for milk, that would mean milk, whey, lactose, caseine, etc, and soy that would mean vegetable oil, soy, soy lecithin, "natural flavors" (hidden soy), vegetable protein, tofu, and edamame. There are probably more on the hidden soy but that's all I can remember right now. I did that for about oh, 5 days all told, and then broke down and gave it up, lol. It's hard.

Oh and to give you even more excessive info, hah, babies can have outright allergies (shows up on a skin prick test or blood test), and they can have intolerances, which don't show up on any test. The intolerances are like an allergy but the body doesn't respond the same way, so it doesn't send out the histamines and all the cavalry to respond to the allergy. So, no rash, no itchy, watery eyes, no swelling in the throat, etc. But it does still react, so you can have intestinal problems, eczema (not always an indicator of an intolerance), reflux, and sleep issues.
I read up on all this back in Kody's much more fussy days, trying to figure out what the heck was the matter with him. In the end, I just ended up making myself crazy with it all, but at the time, it helped me because it felt like I was doing SOMEthing! But it's valuable info and may help someone, so there we go.
melissalaw likes this.

April 26th, 2014, 04:01 PM
She was pooping 7 - 10 times a day, but around her month check up she started pooping about once a day to once every day and a half and we mentioned it to the NP who said it was very normal for babies at that stage to have a change like that in how often they pooped and also for it to become firmer and change color from the newborn yellowish color.
I would think if it was intestinal distress she'd be upset/crying/in pain all day and not just in the evenings. My other 2 kids had allergies to milk early on but with them it was obvious - throwing up, crying a lot of the day. We switched them to a special formula and they did better. So far Truely isn't throwing up or crying all day. And in fact the last 2 nights she barely had any fussy time, maybe about 30 minutes each night. Which of course DH was off both of those nights so I told him he can't go back to work (by the way, that didn't work - LOL). Melissa, the BF never worked out. I did pump for 3 weeks and we had to supplement. But she never wanted to try and after 3 weeks of pumping every 3 hours and not producing more, even with the supplements and oatmeal and tricks production started decreasing. So I made the choice that with my blood pressure and other issues that we would just formula feed so we could actually get some sleep and take care of myself and baby better.
Thanks for all the advice and tips.

April 27th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I'm glad you worked out what was best with the feeding. Sounds like breastfeeding was just a no-go, and that happens for some ladies! You had a tough time of it in the beginning with being in the hospital and not being able to breastfeed her, so it makes sense that it just wasn't working. I'm glad you figured out that bottle feeding is the way to go and didn't beat yourself up about it! So many ladies just beat themselves up with guilt (or are beat up by someone else about it) and you just can't control that kind of thing. You gave it your best shot!

And yes, that makes sense that if it's just in the evening, it's probably not her tummy/intestines bothering her. Many babies just have a fussy period like that where you can set your watch by them, every evening without fail. I don't know that anyone has ever figured it out, but it does pass. Hang in there!
Boos Moo likes this.

April 28th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the information Joy, you've really done your homework!

I'm glad it's not Colic Therese, or intestinal distress for that matter. It sounds like Truely is just adjusting to a schedule and working out her kinks still. All our new babies seem to be going through this.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

April 28th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks Joy. I did beat myself up for a few days and really struggled with the decision to stop trying. I believe if I'd been able to get more than 2 - 3 hours of sleep in a stretch I'd have lasted longer. But DH and I talked and decided that 3 weeks was better than nothing and we needed sleep (especially me with trying to recover and my BP). And Leia, we think it is colic. At least 5 days a week out of the last 2 weeks at night she is a screaming banshee for 1 - 4 hours. I'm hoping it doesn't last until her 4 month mark.

April 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Great info Joy!!

Therese how is Truely doing? Any better or still having a hard time in the evenings.

April 28th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Well DH was off Thursday and Friday. Thursday she was only fussy about 20 mins. Friday it was about an hour. But then Saturday was awful. Not only did she start getting fussy earlier than all the other days (around 2:30), but it lasted until she had an episode that ended up with us going to the hospital. So from 2:30 until about 7 or so she was just getting worse and worse. She did manage a few quiet episodes like at bath time or the brief trip I took her on a truck ride. But then around 7 (I don't even remember the exact time) she went from screaming in my ear to being quiet and having trouble breathing or swallowing. You could hear her trying to breath but like having trouble doing so and then bubbling at the mouth (clear bubbles) and then she started acting like she was going to sleep. Really freaked me out. So I looked for her suction thing, and of course I know we have 2 somewhere, but when you're looking for them in a panic you can't find them where they are supposed to be. So I ended up having DD1 rub her back while she was on her tummy while I dumped out the diaper bag looking for one of them. Then I had DS hold her while I improvised and used one of the syringes the hospital had sent home with us. I could get out bubbles but she was still not acting right, but never turned color, but wasn't crying and still acting sleepy and making those funny trouble breathing sounds. So I called 911 and off we went to the hospital. Of course when the paramedics got to us she cried twice and sounded much better and was breathing normally again. But they recommended taking her in to have her checked to make sure all was good. Little stinker slept the whole ride to the hospital in the back of the ambulance (most expensive nap ever I'm sure). Turns out she was fine, they think she had reflux and it went down the wrong pipe and she's not strong enough to cough it up, but they wanted to rule out heart problems (especially being a preemie) or a seizure. The rest of the night she was to tired to do anything except sleep. But last night she had a 2 hour colic episode last night. But one of the doctors recommended that if she has more reflux to try the formula that is thickened, or to thicken our own formula. And I thought I read somewhere that it might also help with colic (don't remember where I read that now though).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search