Dry skin or cradle cap?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS2 came home from the hospital with dry flaky skin on his head, shoulders and feet. The nursery nurse told us to put Aquaphor on him to help combat the dry skin, so we did. His feet and shoulders cleared up in about 2 weeks, but his head stayed dry and flaky. If I brush his hair, so much dry skin flakes off his scalp it looks like someone dusted him with coconut flakes.

Can babies be born with cradle cap? Or is this just dry skin? We bathe every two days and I've been using the Aquaphor. What else can I do?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would try spacing out his baths longer. Babies don't need baths really that often, unless they get sweaty or something. You can always just give his little bum a soak in the sink every couple of days as far as the diaper area goes, but not wash his hair. Some babies have really sensitive/dry skin, and I think it's normal for newborns to be on the dry side.
If you don't care about how it would look, you could put some coconut oil on his scalp and just leave it on for a day or two, let it soak in real good. I love coconut oil for a moisturizer, it's so natural--nothing added. You could also try looking for a really natural soap, if you're using something like Johnson & Johnson, some people have issues with the sodium laureth sulfate, or perfumes, etc etc. I like Kiss My Face soap, just the plain olive oil soap in a bar is about as simple as you can get.
As far as whether it's dry skin or cradle cap, I am thinking dry skin, because cradle cap is scaly, but doesn't really flake off much. Also, the flakes are yellow with cradle cap, not white.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 28th, 2014, 05:16 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Joy!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 28th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Just keep breathing.
I too have heard recommendations for coconut oil, though I have no personal experience with it.
April 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I love the coconut oil. I use it on myself as a moisturizer so I would try that. wondering if the dr skin just turned into cradle cap. Christian had really dry skin on his feet when he was born but not his head.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search