Growth scan this morning- concerned

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By kaylakay
  • 5 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By Ame C

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Just keep breathing.
I'm 37 weeks 4 days, and had a growth scan this morning since my fundal height is measuring about 2 weeks ahead. It was with a tech, who obviously didn't really tell us anything. But both DH and I were watching as she was taking measurements. Baby's head was measuring in the 38 weeks range, but legs were more in the 34-35 week range. The tech did have a REALLY hard time getting measurements of the legs.

The tech said my doctor would get the results in 2 days. I have an appointment this afternoon. I'm 5'5"- pretty average height and build. DH is 6'. Most of the women in our families are around 5'4-5'5.

I feel anxious about this. Having body parts that are measuring 3-4 weeks differently seems like not a good thing.
April 30th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe the measurements for the legs are wrong... if she had a hard time getting the measurements then that's possible right?!! Two days seems like forever to get results, can you call your Dr. office and tell them your really upset and see if there's a way they can call to get the results sent up sooner? I know sometimes my Dr. office can do that.
April 30th, 2014, 11:10 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Ultrasound is not a good tool to guess growth. We are constantly getting wrong answers at work. A baby that is "supposed" to be around 9 pounds ends up 6 or a 5 pounder ends up 8. Ultrasound is all over the place because babies are hard to measure when they're so big.

At the moment... I wouldn't sweat it too much. They take an average of everything. I hope the next 2 days go by fast and your doctor can give you more reassurance.
geogeek likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
April 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if you remember but a similar thing happened with Christian. I had several growth scans and the scans showed that he wasn't growing at all. I swear that is why my blood pressure started getting so high because I was so worried about those darn growth scans. And he ended up being perfectly so I just don't think I would put much weight on those scans. I think the are notoriously off.

I hope all is well with your little one.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 30th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes they can be off and it's pretty common and normal. Truely had the same thing. Her stomach was measuring a different week from her head which was different from her legs. She's pretty normal. Her legs are a little shorter (maybe) when compared to her body. For instance her legs length could still fit in NB length, but her body length is in 3 month onesies. I think she has more of a swimmers body, but I'm sure she's fine and all the doctors we've seen haven't been concerned.

April 30th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Schofield06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're stressed. The scans can be off. I hope you don't stress out too much in the next few days.
April 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry that you are stressed, I would definitely ask your doctor if they can get your results faster so that you can relax. Praying for you and your LO!

April 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Just keep breathing.
Thank you all. Everything is fine. I had my OB appointment at 2 and the first thing the doctor said when she came in was "I saw your ultrasound results and everything is perfect!" She went on to say that baby is 56th percentile, heart rate is great, and some other stuff I don't remember. I then asked her about the numbers I saw, how they seemed really different, and she looked at me like I was speaking Greek. (But nicely). She calmly explained that u/s measurements between 35-38 weeks on different parts were completely within the range of what she was looking for, and even pulled up the results on the computer to double check.

I feel a little silly, but SO relieved. PAL stinks.
April 30th, 2014, 04:40 PM
MoonAngel702's Avatar ~Staying Positive~
So sorry you were worried about the measurements but glad your doctor was able to go over the results with you! I was going to agree with the ladies that u/s can be way off when you are that far along (I've heard). I'm so glad that you have nothing to worry about! Sounds like baby girl is perfect!
April 30th, 2014, 05:46 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad that everything is ok. Those growth scans mean nothing after 35 weeks. And even after your beautiful baby is born, the length of legs, arms head, etc can be dictated by genetics more than anything else. For example, my DH is 6'2" but his legs are the same length as mine and I'm 5'3". Because he has a super long torso.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful, perfect baby!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
April 30th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
My dr thought Toren would be closer to 11 lbs but he was 8 lbs 2.5 oz. Still large but not as big as he thought. Toren's head was and still is pretty big. In the upper 90's percentile.
EverydayJoy likes this.

May 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad your doc was able to curb your fears! PAL does stink!

May 1st, 2014, 08:17 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad that everything is ok.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad to see your update!
May 2nd, 2014, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad to read your update

May 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad everything was ok! My oldest, Ethan, had leg measurements that were several weeks ahead of his other measurements, and so the tech said, "Oh, he's going to be a tall one!" I guess they probably just have "average" measurements for all those parts they measure, and not all babies fit the mold!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search