GERD questions

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2014, 08:09 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS2 coughs quite a bit after feeding and does spit up alot. Sometimes it appears that he spits up the entire contents of his stomach (probably not, but it looks like it). He has other symptoms of reflux like arching his back when crying and seems to have an upset stomach, especially at night. He is however, gaining weight like crazy and is not fussy during the day.

Anyone (besides Joy) have experience with this? Joy, does this sound like classic reflux and if so, what do I do?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
May 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like reflux to me. Jacob was a bit like this but he never spit up. I would mention it to your dr and see what he says. If he's gaining weight he's probably getting enough to eat but may need something to help with the pain.

Christian spits up all the time but he never acts like he is in pain and he's gaining weight so his dr isn't concerned but if he was acting like he was in pain I would want something to help him.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Truely spits up sometimes, but she does arch her back and cry. For her it's gas pains we're pretty sure because she passes gas usually afterwords. The doctors at the ER thought she might have reflux but she doesn't seem to spit up that often and they are basing that on just that one episode. And since she's gaining weight and has lots of pee diapers and some poop diapers I know she's getting most of what she takes in (it always looks like way more coming back up). I know they do make formula that is thicker for babies who spit up. But I'd check with your pedi before changing.

May 6th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks ladies. He's on almost all Breastmilk right now. I give him formula only once in a while when he's emptied me and still hungry. He does pass gas alot, and burps alot, so maybe he's just gassy.

I'm going to call the Pedi and see what she has to say.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 6th, 2014, 11:18 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, the best way to delineate whether it was a problem or not, was if it seemed to cause the baby pain or discomfort. Doctors (in my experience) don't take notice of reflux unless it gets bad enough that they develop a feeding aversion, and start losing weight or not gaining fast enough. Or if other scary symptoms happen like breath-holding, aspirating, etc. But if you have a baby who is in pain, but gaining, they usually just try to placate you and maybe give you some medication if you ask for it. Maybe.
I had the best luck with homeopathic stuff, and chamomile tea. I gave 2 teaspoons of chamomile tea a day, every day, in small amounts about 5 times a day total. I also used Magnesium Phosphoricum (Mag Phos for short) and Natrum Phosphoricum (Nat Phos for short). These are homeopathic remedies, Hylands makes them in a tablet form that dissolves quickly. I used the 6x strength, 5 tablets a day of each, dissolved in the chamomile tea. I think for a little guy I might try 2 or 3 tablets at most, at first, and see if it helps.

Anyway, I think it's your call whether it seems like he has reflux, but big indicators are spitting up and then crying and fussing right after (or right before); refusing to nurse even though he's acting hungry; acting ravenous and latching on but then popping off and crying, then pushing away; and mixed signals on feeding in general. Acting hungry but then not wanting it. Or, some babies overeat as a way of washing down the acid--they want to eat all night and day, sometimes eating so much that they puke up the excess.
With Kody, the feeding got to where he would only eat when he was half asleep.
Also a heads up, 2 months old is about the age when reflux tends to flare up, and vaccinations can cause a flare-up.

Sleeping on an elevated angle can help for nighttime, some reflux babies would only get any sleep that way. Sleeping in the swing, using a Rock & Play (Fisher Price), sleeping on a wedge, etc. You can also elevate the crib.

Keeping baby vertical for 30 mins after each feed can help, so can avoiding tummy time if possible, even avoiding laying baby down flat at all in some cases. Some moms have to use a wedge for diapering, too, else up it comes.

My best advice, is GO WITH YOUR GUT. If YOU feel that he is hurting, don't let any old doctor brush you off. You can try the meds, but my best help was from homeopathy. You can also try herbal remedies or gripe water and such. Just some thoughts, again, I leave it up to you to decide whether it seems like it's bothering him or not. You're the mom! Spitting up by itself is not a problem, but when it's coupled with the pain/discomfort, then it becomes a problem for baby.
lelila likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 7th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Great Advice Joy! I think I'm going back to basics and I'm taking him off his once a day formula. He's constipated now and I think that is making things worse. If I start with just breastmilk, and get his system reset, and go from there, I can start with a clean slate sort to speak. But this all started really when we introduced a bottle now and then. So I'm taking that out.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a great plan! Sometimes formula can be hard for their tummies to digest, so trying just breastmilk will tell you whether it's a problem or not.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search