Not sure what's up :/

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By cortln
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By Ame C

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
It started with Toren having some really great days last week. Up most of the day without fussing hardly at all, BUT I noticed his night time wake-ups becoming more frequent. Now, the past 2-3 days he has had some pretty wicked crying spells. On top of that he continues to wake frequently during the night and will NOT sleep in his bed.. at all! The only way I can get him to sleep is laying on me nursing, all night long.

Today during his horrid crying spell I figured it HAS to be for a reason. He doesn't usually cry unless he has gas or wants to nurse. He was screaming at the breast, popping on and off. Not a happy little camper at all. After it felt like my breasts were empty Toren was still acting crazy mad. I gave him a 4 oz bottle. He guzzled it at first and slowed down about half way through. He drank all 4 oz and cried maybe 2 minutes after the bottle was empty, burped, then was a complete angel. Cooing, babbling, nice long tummy time, and totally content for an hour and a half before wanting to nurse again.

It's looking like I'm going to have to supplement with a bottle of formula each day. I don't think my supply can keep up with his appetite. I've never had extra milk to save. Anytime I pump he ends up drinking it all the same or next day. When I do pump the most I ever get is 4.5 oz. I don't mind supplementing formula, but I feel a bit defeated that my stupid body isn't making enough to feed my hungry little man. I plan on continuing to BF as long as I can but in a way, this is the first step to weaning my baby off of mommy's milk. It makes me sad I think I'm possibly more addicted to BF'ing than Toren is to nursing. *sighs* Hopefully his sleeping improves. I just put him to sleep in his bed a little over 20 minutes ago and he is already tossing and turning his head from side to side like he's going to wake up soon. I don't know what's going on with him. I live to make him happy and I feel like he hasn't been happy the past few days. He has happy moments, but overall seems much fussier than usual. Teething is a possibility, but I do think hunger was played a big part. I really hope it's just a growth spurt and he's just needing more milk. I don't want it to be sleep regression or something like that..

edited to add: When I said he wont sleep in his bed and wants to nurse all night I literally mean just that. It will look like he is in a deep sleep so I unlatch him and he instantly wakes up crying. He didn't used to do that, only occasionally. Now it is every time from about midnight to 8 am.

Last edited by Ame C; May 6th, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
May 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gosh, I'm sorry. Things like that are so hard to figure out. I wouldn't feel bad about supplementing with formula, at all. I would just let him nurse first so you get the stimulation, and the signal to make milk, and then go ahead and give the bottle anytime you feel he's not getting enough. Maybe a bottle before bed will help fill up his little tummy.
I did about a month or so of almost exclusive bottle feeding with Kody, and pumping and giving formula and breastmilk, early on when I was trying to figure him out. You just do what you gotta do! Hopefully it is just a growth spurt and your milk supply will settle right in.
Did I already mention in another post that there is a tea called Mother's Milk by Traditional Medicinals? I did notice it definitely boosted my supply when I used it.

Also, you don't have to worry about weaning off of mommy's milk anytime soon. I mean I wouldn't think ahead to that, you can nurse him for a couple years if you want to! My sis did all of her kids until about 2 years old, and Kody is a year old and still very attached to the boob. So you don't have to feel like you NEED to be coaxing him to the bottle if you don't want to. Nothing wrong with doing baby-led weaning--you can both decide together when it's no longer mutually satisfying to continue.

Also, 4 months old is supposedly another one of those mental "leaps", and a time when a lot of babies experience a sleep regression. So if that is all it is, then you can at least know it should be temporary (a few weeks maybe?), and that it's NOT your fault and that you just need to ride it out. Try not to feel responsible! Babies are such...temperamental things. I spent many many mintues/hours/days wondering what I was doing wrong with Kody. Try to just cut yourself some emotional slack and remind yourself that you can't always be 100% clued in to what is going on inside his little body (as much as we kill ourselves to try to be!). We can't always know, but we can comfort and soothe as best we can, and just try to get through the rest. Hang in there!
Ame C and MelChicago like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 7th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never breastfed (tried but didn't work out, I had to quit before my milk ever came in which was almost a week after Tatum was born). I do however remember the crying like Toren's doing when she was hungry. Being a first time mom I wondered what in the world was happening, then realized she just needed more to eat! It's so hard when they can't talk and you have to figure out what's wrong.

Don't feel bad at all for needing to supplement forumula! Do what you have to do to keep your little man happy, either way you are still giving him what he needs
Ame C likes this.
May 7th, 2014, 06:24 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel bad about supplementing with formula. I have been giving this guy a bottle of formula at night before bed and I'm pumping between 8 and 16 ounces a day AFTER he eats, that is how much he's eating. Breastfeeding is hard - you don't know how much they are eating, and they need to eat often because breastmilk, while nutritious, is thin and goes right through them.

You must be exhausted being up all night. I hope he gets back to his regularly scheduled programming and you get some sleep!
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
May 7th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Wow... he woke up a billion times last night! He wouldn't stay awake long before dozing back off but at some points he was waking up every 10 minutes, over and over.

I looked at the kellymom breastfeeding website and it says 4 months is a growth spurt. Looked up mental leaps, yep one at 4 months. I googled "sleep regression" and specifically "4 month sleep regression" popped up all over the search. For those first time moms who haven't gotten here yet, 4 months is a very fun time, let me tell ya!

As far as the milk supply goes. I have mother's milk tea but at one point my pedi was saying I shouldn't take it anymore because it causes most babies to get gassy and Toren has issues with gas daily (mostly from his lip tie I think). I mean he is gassy no matter what, so I might as well drink some mother's milk tea and see if it helps. I also normally eat oatmeal once every morning but haven't had ANY oatmeal in about a week... I will start eating it again and see how well that all helps.
EverydayJoy likes this.
May 7th, 2014, 08:25 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about getting his lip tie fixed? That can help so much! If he can't get a proper latch, he won't be able to get the milk out as fast or efficiently, and it will take him longer to nurse. It can make a world of difference! Plus, less gassy=happier baby!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 7th, 2014, 08:26 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
definitely eat the oatmeal. I had a hard time keeping up with Jacob and the oatmeal did help. Also if you can try to pump more often. I know you said he wouldn't sleep unless he was attached to you but hopefully that won't continue. I know for me I will nurse Christian put him to bed and then pump. I also pump in the middle of the night after he eats and I get him back to sleep. that is when I get the most milk, in the middle of the night and the early mornings.

Definitely let him nurse before giving him a bottle of formula so your body will get the signal to make more milk. If he is going through a growing spurt, letting him nurse as often as he wants will give your body the cue that it needs to make more milk.

Don't feel defeated. you can breastfeed and give formula. I supplemented with Jackson for a bit and then I got my body to make more milk so I was able to continue our breastfeeding relationship.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice here, just big hugs momma! I hope you're able to get in a nap.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search