Super Unhappy Baby!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2014, 06:50 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if he's gassy or constipated but he's clearly unhappy. He's always pooped 6 - 10 times a day and then suddenly he stopped. In the past 4 days he's pooped once. He strains until he is red in the face and then passes gas loudly or burps loudly.

I don't remember DS1 doing this until he went on formula. DS2 was getting one bottle of formula 1x a night but we stopped that 2 days ago out of suspicion that the formula was causing the constipation.

Anyone have any ideas? I feel so helpless when he cries like this. Then as suddenly as he starts crying, he stops, starts cooing and is content for another 8 hours. I feel so bad for him.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
May 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what our pedi said when Truely went from pooping 8 times a day to once a day and a half she said it was very normal especially for this age (I know they are close in age). But then when she does poop it's not hard so it's not constipation. But I was worried the first time when she didn't poop for almost 2 days and gave her a little apple juice and she did poop, but now I've learned that some babies can go 5 days without pooping and that's still in the normal range. Did you say he had reflux? I'm pretty sure with Truely her crying is from the pain of the reflux and maybe the gas, but I'm thinking it's more from the pain of the reflux. It sucks not knowing what they are crying about sometimes because you can't always help them. Hugs.

May 10th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Is it OK to give apple juice at this age? I never gave DS1 anything other than breastmilk or formula until he was almost 6 mos.

DS2 had one bowel movement 2 days ago and it was completely normal so I don't know what to think. I don't know if he has reflux. As soon as we stopped giving him formula he stopped spitting up, but he still seems to be uncomfortable over something. Arching his back, straining, red in the face, crying, kicking his legs out straight. I think it's gas but I don't remember from DS1 if those were the symptoms.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 10th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure doctors would say it's not OK to give apple juice this early. But it'd been a couple days since she had pooped and was doing all the signs like needing to and lots of gas and we tried taking her temp rectally to see if that would make her poop. So I gave her about 1/2 ounce of juice and 20 mins later she pooped (not really sure if it's related). But now the doctor says some babies it's normal for them to go like 5 or 7 days between poops. So now I don't worry unless it's going to be many days between poops and the tempeture taking doesn't work. Normally I wouldn't give her any thing besides formula until we start baby food around 6 months.
Truely does the same thing as your little one - arches the back and leaning the head back I've read are clues to reflux (silent reflux they don't normally spit up because it gets swallowed back down). But Truely also has gas, and nothing we've tried has made it go away, but I think it's more comfortable for her. I really don't like this part of the newborn phase when you can't figure out what is bothering them. Some of the stuff that is supposed to help with gas, such as putting some pressure on the tummy and bicycling their legs, isn't good for babies with reflux because it causes the stomach to get sqooshed.

May 12th, 2014, 08:42 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jackson was this way. He was a completely breastfed baby, no formula at all and he got terrible constipation. My dr told me to water down apple juice and give that to him so we started giving him one bottle a day of watered down apple juice and it helped. It was the only thing that kept him regular. My dr still tells me with Christian to give watered down juice if they get constipated so I would try that and bring it up to your dr at your next visit.

You might also try getting more fiber in your diet but I know with Jackson I tried everything and nothing worked except the juice.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 12th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think pear juice is supposed to help too. It does sound suspiciously like reflux though. You might bring that up to your doctor.

Hope he feels better!

May 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I called the pedi tonight and she said it's normal for EBF babies and to wait it out. She recommended warm baths and bicycle with his legs.

He seems calm this evening after his bath and his gas is stinky enough to make the dog move to the other side of the couch. So maybe we'll see something soon. It's been 5 days now.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 13th, 2014, 07:14 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope he goes soon. We did the bicycle legs with Jackson and it helped work it out.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 15th, 2014, 08:01 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor little guy. So long as his poop is soft, then constipation isn't an issue, but it does sound like his tummy is bothering him. Could be reflux, but could also be a food sensitivity. Could also just be him adjusting to pooping less often. You can give a teaspoon or two of chamomile tea if you like, I did that for Kody for many months and it seemed to help him. Fennel is supposed to be good, and ginger too.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; May 15th, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
May 15th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joy, I think you hit the hammer with the nail ie him just adjusting to pooping less often. He had a poop diaper yesterday and today without assistance. Both were normal breastmilk diapers. He also has less gas and seems to struggle less. He didn't have a 4 hour feeding session last night either. He ate at 8:30, fell asleep at 9 and slept until 5. I wish I had known that he was going to do that. I was expecting him to wake at 11 like he always does - I stayed awake waiting for his next feeding!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahh nice! I'm glad he slept ok. Sorry you weren't able to fully enjoy all the benefits of him sleeping longer! I know how it goes though...it's so annoying to be woken up, you'd rather just wait it out!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search