Milestones

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By melissalaw
  • 2 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By kaylakay
  • 2 Post By Boos Moo
  • 6 Post By lelila
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2014, 06:13 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know we all worry about milestones with our babies. With DS1, he was developmentally behind and we had to enlist speech, special ed, occupational and physical therapists every week to get him up to speed. We were lucky. By 1st grade, he was caught up to his peers.

So naturally, I'm worried to the point of distraction with DS2. He is 8 weeks old today and he is still sleeping SO much! When he is awake, he doesn't have much control of his arms or neck yet - and tummy time is him just laying there crying. He smiles and coos when we play with him on his back and has two favorite toys now, but he doesn't reach for them. He also loves the fish tank and is starting to track the bigger fish (much to my relief).

His next appt is this week. What questions should I ask of the Pedi and should I bring him to the Dev Pedi? Or am I being a bit over reactive?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
May 19th, 2014, 07:31 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think at 8 weeks it sounds like he's right on track. I know my dr asks if Christian was smiling and if he was starting to track objects with his eyes. Will he turn his head towards you if you talk? Christian is 13 weeks and he just now has some neck control so I wouldn't worry about that. Just keep doing tummy time he will get the hang of it. For a while Christian would just lay his head down and try to suck on his hand. He is just now where he will do tummy time and hold his head up for awhile. I know I started putting him in his bumbo seat to try to strength his neck. That did seem to help.

I know my pedi leads the conversation and always ask me questions about things Christian is doing and where he should be at this age. so I would just follow your drs lead. If he ask something that your little one is not doing then question him about if this is a problem or what you should be doing.

All babies do things on their own pace. I know with all three of my boys they've all been on their own schedule. Jacob was barely talking at 2 so of course I was worried and talked to his dr about it who just wanted me to read more to him and said we would watch his language skills. then 2 weeks after he turned 2 his language took off and he is now talking up a storm. I find most of the time when I worry it ends up being unneccessary but I understand where you are coming from.
lelila likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 19th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember when they are supposed to do certain things, but isn't 8 weeks too young to be reaching for things anyways? If you are taking him to the regular pedi, they will ask you about developmentally appropriate things and you can discuss concerns with them. I would wait until after that appointment. It's hard not to worry about our babies though, so don't think you are overreacting, it's called being a mommy
lelila likes this.

May 20th, 2014, 11:41 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you don't have anything to worry about. He's only 2 months old, so he's still going to be kind of floppy. Also some babies just despise tummy time, so if he doesn't care for it, it also counts to have him lay on your chest with him tummy-down. You can lean back a bit to simulate tummy time that way. He doesn't have to necessarily do it on the floor.
I hear you on being paranoid after what happened with your first, but I think you can just relax for now and not worry too much about it!
melissalaw and lelila like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 20th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Joy I had to laugh at your comment of him being kind of floppy. that is a great way to put it.
EverydayJoy and lelila like this.

May 20th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Yes Joy, I laughed too at the Floppy comment. DH calls him "noodle-eey".
melissalaw and EverydayJoy like this.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 20th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Posgo001's Avatar Veteran
Leia, it has been so long since my boys were babies, I'm going to need to take a few refresher classes, lol. I'm sure your little noodle--eey boy is fine. Your pediatrician should pick up on any delays, but if it eases your mind just bring up your concerns with him.
1/30/14 at 7 weeks 2 days

You know my deep desire for a child. A little one to love and to hold, to care for,
to cherish. Grant that my body may conceive and give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby in Your holy image.
Guide me in all my choices so that this conception, my pregnancy and my baby's birth are in line with Your will. Heavenly Father and Holy Mother, hear this prayer of my heart, mind and spirit.
Amen.

May 20th, 2014, 04:29 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Noodle--ey?!?! LOL
EverydayJoy likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
May 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like he's on track to me, and your doctor will ask if he's doing things and even if he's not there yet it won't be long. They asked if T was smiling at our last appointment (she was only doing it in her sleep then), but today she gave daddy a smile and a big coo/laugh.
EverydayJoy and lelila like this.

May 21st, 2014, 05:21 AM
Awww, Therese, isn't that the best?! Moments to treasure, for sure. This morning, Colt was nursing and I thought he was asleep. I said to him "Are you eating or sleeping?" and He opened one eye and gave me a give ol' grin. It was so cute I just bust out laughing.

Wife to Big Bull 40

May 21st, 2014, 04:51 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so cute, Leia! Those moments are so precious. My favorite thing right now is when Kody laughs with the boob in his mouth. It's so funny.
melissalaw and Boos Moo like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He was keeping an eye on you Leia! Aw Joy how funny.

May 22nd, 2014, 12:30 PM
I love these sweet babies!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search