I haven't been on much

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not because I don't want to, but between colic and reflux and then of course daily life it's all I can do some days to eat 3 meals

But I wanted to update you ladies. So after finding out Truely has silent reflux (which could or could not be causing her colic episodes) we put her on medicine for it and we started a new formula on Sunday that the pedi recommended. Well Sunday we also went out of town on our yearly trip to a resort out in the desert with my 'sister' and her DH and 2 girls. So my 'sister' took care of T a good portion of the days so DH and I could get in a much needed nap and also some alone couple time. Well T did really well Sunday and even had a 5 1/2 hour stretch of sleep that night (biggest yet). Monday she had a little bit of fussy time, but still did well until about 1:30 am when she woke up. She ate but each time she'd spit it up and was acting really fussy (not screaming though). But she was also a day behind on her poop schedule so we figured it might be that. So she had a hard night, which means DH and I did too since we all were in the same room. But she pooped before we left to come home and slept the whole trip home (almost 3 hours). But once we got home she was crying (but not screaming to much) for about 4 hours with an hour nap and a 10 minute nap in there. So still an improvement. Cut to tonight. She had a few hard times, during the 1 hour time I finally just put her in the cosleeper while I folded clothes and let her cry for awhile. Then when I picked her up she calmed down and ate and then fell asleep in my lap with her binx! That is big for us as she normally doesn't take one very often. Nor does she normally fall asleep without being walked or rocked or with a bottle. Now I won't deem the new formula a success until it's been a while longer, but I'm hopeful Plus she gave daddy a smile for the first time this week. Sadly she gave me a frowny face today DH was holding her and she was happy making some noises so I sat next to them and talked to her asking her if she was happy, she got big eyes looking for me and reached out her hand towards me, then turned to see me and gave me the sad face - sigh.
Well she's waking up so that cuts my catching up short. Hope you ladies are all well.

May 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope the new formula helps wonders! She was giving a sad face because mommy wasn't holding her Love that first smile!

May 23rd, 2014, 08:15 PM
She gave one of her toys a smile today, I'm patiently (or not so much) waiting for one too Last night she was pretty much up from 3:30 until about 10 pm with just a few little cat naps in there, but no big screaming sessions. So while she required a lot of my time and attention it was better. And then she slept from about 10 until about 2:30 DH said (he tried to move her from our bed to her bassinet and I guess she said no). Then he said she went back to sleep about 3 or 3:30 (I forget which) and slept until about 7:30 he said (I didn't get good sleep so he got up with her both times). So she had 2 big sleep sessions overnight Hoping this trend continues - FX.

May 25th, 2014, 07:08 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome! What medication did they start her on? If it's one like Zantac, Axid, or Pepcid, those start working almost right away, so if you're seeing improvement, that can definitely be from the meds.
Something I learned while on a reflux board, is if she is having any sensitivities to formula, there can be a 2 week "honeymoon" period with formula, where babies don't really start to react to the new one until about 2 weeks into it. So if it starts out good and then things go bad in a couple weeks, it could be that. But, another tip, is that the type of meds called H2 blockers (the Zantac, Pepcid, Axid), are very weight-sensitive, so if you see it start to lose effectiveness, I'd take her back in to the doc, have her weighed, and see if she can go up on the med.
Also, babies metabolize meds faster than adults, so if the adult recommendations are twice a day, you might give the same dose, but 3 times a day, in order to help it work better. I'd especially do that if she seems worse several hours before you're able to give her more. I found with Kody that each dose of Zantac seemed to last about 6 hours for him. But every baby is different. Hope that helps.
Boos Moo likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 25th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah, and one other thing is, that sometimes with that kind of med family, they can work great for several months, and then all of a sudden seem to not work anymore for no apparent reason. What I believe happens is, the med blocks histamine receptors in the body, and the body finds a way to circumvent it by growing more receptors (or something like that). So sometimes you have to switch meds down the line if that happens.

May 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks Joy for the info, good to know. And there's a reflux board? Gonna have to check that out She started Omeprazole (which is Prilosec and generics such as losepine) is a proton pump inhibitor used in the treatment of dyspepsia, peptic ulcer disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease, laryngopharyngeal reflux, and Zollinger–Ellison syndrome.) She started that on 5/7 and then she had 3 good days, and then bad days again. Then we started her on the new formula on 5/18 and so far each day she's been doing pretty good. So I guess we'll know more in one more week about the formula. Thanks so much for the info.

May 25th, 2014, 07:49 PM
The reflux board I was a part of wasn't on JM, I think it was on BabyCenter. I can look it up if that would help you!
Omeprazole (and other proton pump inhibitors) will take up to 2 weeks to give you full effectiveness, so it might be the formula that was working, or it might be that the medication just started kicking in for you. Also, if you notice a particular time of day she seems worse than others, you can divide her dose to give half in the morning, and then half right before that time of day (say if the evening for example is bad). How is she at night for sleeping? If she does any coughing/choking/waking up screaming episodes at night, I'd consider elevating her at a steep angle to help with that at night. Gravity can help keep the stomach contents down. A great sleep aid for that is a Rock & Play (Fisher Price). It has a nice angle and it's very lightweight, you can have it by your bed or put it out in the living room, wherever.
Anywho, I learned a lot when Kody was younger, feel free to hit me up if you have any Q's.

Last edited by EverydayJoy; May 25th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
May 26th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks Joy, I'll try to find the reflux board. Yeah it's hard to say it could be a combo of both, or just mostly one or the other. I don't want to start experiementing right now by taking her off either Right now she is supposed to take 1.3 ml in the morning and 1.3 at night, and I had actually bumped the evening one to the afternoon because evenings were her worse time of day. And now I do 1 ml in the morning, afternoon and then the .6 in the middle of the night. We did elevate her bassinet and have a reclining swing and if she's not in our arms sleeping those are where she sleeps. Luckily it seems better so we didn't elevate her changing pad (which would be hard because I change her with her head on one side and DH is more comfortable with her head on the other side). She was doing some choking/coughing but she was also drooling and I know that was bothering her because I think it would pool up while sleeping and then she'd swallow in her sleep and choke and wake herself up. Now she's doing better with that and the last few nights she's gotten some 5+ hour stretches of sleep! Which for us is amazing. Now if she'd realize that the middle of the night (she wakes up right before daddy gets home and maybe she's just excited to see him) is not play time and not stay up 2+ hours that'd be even better - LOL. We looked at the rock and play's and if she continues to have problems I will get one for sure because it seems a little more reclined than the swing (it has 3 positions). And I will take you up on the offer to ask questions I'm hoping the worse is behind up though.

So speaking of not rocking the boat - DH mentions today (because we need to pick up more of this formula tomorrow because it comes in tiny cans) that in about another month he wants to try to switch her to some of the other formula(s) we have (we probably have 3 different kinds not including the one she's on now), because this formula is so expensive. I figured it costs a little more than 3 times as much per fluid ounce than the generic kinds of regular formula. But when you factor it out over their lifetime a few months paying a little more isn't anything if you ask me. And it's not like we can't afford it, sometimes he just is cheap I swear. But when we switched to this formula he says we can combat the cost of it by not eating out, no problem there I agree because it's not going to be for very long anyway right. But when we were on our mini-vacation to the desert (granted we started this new formula that morning and didn't yet know if it would work) he bought dinner and lunch for us and my 'sisters' family. And then today he went and got a new trampoline because they were on sale and he's been wanting to get DD an new one for 2 years now (the old one still works but is 10 years old). Sometimes he just doesn't make sense to me, sigh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search