So mommas

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you 'sleep train' your babies? Put them on a schedule? Etc? If so, when and what did you do?

I'm going to try to start working with T today about putting herself to sleep. Now we just either rock/walk her to sleep or she'll fall asleep eating. Today I'm going to put her in her bassinet while just falling asleep (or try to) and see how it goes. She's about 15 pounds now and with sometimes not falling asleep for hours I just can't carry her around all day. Even in the Moby wrap it's getting hard. Just wondering what everyone else does and what worked for you. With our other 2 we started later with them.

June 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really sure what sleep training is, I've heard people talk about it but i've never looked it up. With my daughter, now 3, I didn't BF (so it may have made things easier) she was on a schedule, she ate every 4 hours (worked out well because she slept for 4 hours at a time from the beginning, even through the night). I fed her at 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. then about 7:15 she'd get a bath (I read it's not good to bathe baby every night but i also read it's soothing so I did it every night) and at 8 p.m. she'd have a bottle and I'd put her to bed, even if she'd cry and I'd have to pick her up to rock her, I'd rock her a little while and then put her back. I went through the same routine each night and by about 7 ish weeks she was sleeping from 8 p.m. until 4 or 5 a.m.. This kid (like me) loves her sleep though she sleeps now from about 8 until 6 during the week (i have to wake her up for daycare) and 6:30 or 7 a.m. on the weekends. I really hope I get lucky again with this baby lol
June 4th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With DD1, she just started sleeping through the night by 5 weeks and she was so easy to put down. DD2 was easy, but not as. I probably should have looked into sleep training DD2, but we didn't, just went with the flow. DD1 used a paci and that was a huge part of why she was able to self soothe so easily and early. DD2, not so much. We finally found that her blankie helped her, but that took a while

June 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never done any sort of sleep training. My first son was a great sleeper and my second was terrible. He was almost a year old before he would go to sleep without nursing. I would just nurse him to sleep and then lay him down. sometimes he would stay asleep and sometimes he would get back up and we would start all over..lol.

Christian is by far my easiest to go to sleep and I can nurse him and lay him down while still awake and as long as he had his mobile or something to look at he will do that until he drifts off to sleep. although he is still getting up alot during the night. The past few nights he's slept for 5 hours straight so that has been nice.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
From my understanding (or what I'm calling sleep training) it's just teaching them to fall asleep on their own by putting them down when sleepy but still awake. With Truely because of her colic and reflux we just always have either held her til she fell asleep or she'd fall asleep eating, and then we'd put her down. But to often she'd wake back up and the whole process would take 2 hours sometimes to get her to sleep (or more if it was a colic night). Now that she is a little older (and before she develops really bad sleep habits) we'd like her to be put down when sleepy and go to sleep on her own. So far the last couple of days it's been ok, sometimes we'll put her in sleepy and she'll turn a couple times and then go to sleep. Other times we'll have to take her out of the bassinet a couple times before sleep takes. Tonight though she's really fussy (had a bad spit up that not only came out her nose and mouth, but she choked a little) so I'm letting her sleep on me since each time I try to put her down she has cried and then chokes a little on her drool or reflux.

June 6th, 2014, 06:14 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never heard of this, but I guess I did it with DS1 and have been doing it with DS2, it's just my nature. I feel pretty darn lucky to have great sleepers.

We did bath, bottle (nurse) with a story and bed with DS1 and he would fall asleep pretty much on his own. The time of night was the key. Usually around 10 PM until he was about 6 mos. With DS2, it's about the same right now. Last night he slept from 9:30 until 6:30 this morning.

I kind of kept to that routine because I didn't want the kids to rely on me to sleep. I have a few friends who criticized me for being cruel, because I would walk away from a small child that was awake. But DS1 is now 8 and has never given me a problem about going to bed on time - so I feel that I did the right thing. I hope we have the same luck with DS2.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
June 6th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah with my other 2 it was easier, for one they didn't have colic. And two they didn't have her terrible reflux. Since she sometimes falls asleep eating and we need to keep her upright for 20 - 30 minutes after eating she gets to sleep on one of us when that happens. I just don't remember starting so early with my other 2 and they both are good sleepers (except for DD's night terrors, but that's another story).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search