Dabbling with holistics

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By lelila
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Joy has mentioned holistic treatments and how she likes to use them for so many things. It really is interesting to me but the farthest I've ever gone with it is reading a little about it online. I never gave it a try. It's not really a secret, I've talked about having issues with hemorrhoids several times here already. Lovely right? But after all this time they still haven't gone away. Lately they have been getting worse. I think maybe stress and eating poorly isn't helping the situation at all. I was thinking aside from surgery (which is supposed to be horridly painful and they can still come back), the creams, witch hazel, sits baths, ect weren't giving me much relief.

I ordered several herbs and an oil. Butcher's broom, horse chestnut, ginger root, and witch hazel leaf and twig oil. They are all supposed to help with circulation, inflammation and most of the reviews were really positive. I should get it all in the next day or two. I'm really excited to see if it works/helps. It's definitely worth a try!
melissalaw and EverydayJoy like this.
June 15th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
KUP on the progress. And I'm sorry you're still suffering from them, ouch.
Ame C likes this.

June 15th, 2014, 04:47 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm excited to see how those things work for you!
Another one you could try is Yarrow, applied directly where you need it. Apparently Yarrow is good for both helping clot profuse bleeding, and helping break up old clots. So it might help if what you try doesn't work. Good luck!
Ame C likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 15th, 2014, 06:08 PM
What kind of yarrow? The liquid extract or the capsules?
June 15th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Actually, you can even just go outside and pick fresh yarrow, and I might be more inclined toward that, because then you know you have the plant, and nothing else. Liquid extract might be my next choice. Yarrow grows like a weed here, I actually picked some flowers today by the roadside. I would just google images of Yarrow, the scientific name is Achillea millefolium, and the wild version is supposed to be a bit more potent than the cultivated varieties. The wild variety has white flowers, occasionally pastel pink, and the cultivated varieties are yellow and other pastel colors. I think maybe red, too? Anywho, it's totally up to you as to whether you want to use it, but I think it's a great herb to have around. You can use it for any bleeding situation---nosebleeds (dried powdered herb), any injury with bleeding, car accidents, etc etc. It could save your life someday...so it's great to have on hand!
Here is a link, if it interests you, for a TON of information about first aid using herbs. http://www.woodherbs.com/FirstAidHerbs.pdf
It's an awesome resource by a well-known herbalist who's been practicing since I was a baby, Matthew Wood. I have several of his books that are amazing. Also, another think for specific information about Yarrow, also by him. Hope this helps!
Indispensable Herbs: Achillea millefolium. Yarrow.
Ame C likes this.

June 15th, 2014, 09:53 PM
PS, some of his literature might be confusing, because some of it references stuff you have to learn in his books. I'd be happy to clear up any confusion as best I can, if you run across anything that doesn't make sense.
Oh, and I don't think I was very clear on how to use fresh yarrow. You can make a yarrow poultice, which is where you crush and bruise the plant to release the juices, and apply that directly to the area. You could also make a tea out of it, and cool that and saturate a pad, say, with the liquid. I'm still learning, so you might try what you have ordered first, and just use yarrow if those don't work. It was just an idea!
Ame C likes this.

June 16th, 2014, 06:20 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ame, just be careful about imbibing anything wild. It's easy to confuse plants if you don't have a trained eye, and you can make yourself sick. You can always look up this guy's stuff: https://www.herbdoc.com/

I have been getting stuff from him for years.

If your hemorrhoids have clots in them, there isn't much you can do to get rid of them. Topical ointments and herbs don't typical break up clots inside (that I know of, but do research) but before you get surgery (which SUCKS) talk to your doc. Maybe there are other methods.

Good Luck! I know what you are going through.
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
June 16th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Leia, you're right, and I should probably have said more about identification of Yarrow. If in doubt, buy it or order it so you know exactly what you've got. I have grown yarrow in my garden before so I'm really familiar with it and recognize it on sight. But, for someone who isn't, it could be confused with other plants that look similar. There are plant identification tutorials online that can be very helpful, or you could go to a local nursery that sells yarrow and look at it there. Even cultivated varieties could be helpful, maybe not as potent, but it would be OK to give those a try, too, if you wanted to purchase it from there. (You'll know it's a cultivated one by the name--it might say "Achillea millefolium" and then have a name like 'Orange Queen', or 'Red Velvet' underneath that.) Once you get to know the plant, you may end up spotting it all over the place, it really is like a weed. At least in the Pacific NW it is!
Ame C likes this.

Last edited by EverydayJoy; June 16th, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
June 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I could see myself picking something poisonous instead and rubbing that all over my butt... LOL. I bet a horrid rash surrounding my hemorrhoids would be pretty awesome

I want to try anything and everything that could help! I don't want surgery.... if they would just shrink down into a small manageable size, I think I would be okay.
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 16th, 2014, 09:31 AM
LOL! Yeah, I don't think that would really help the situation, haha.
Hey, I just found something cool! I was going to recommend dried yarrow from Mountain Rose Herbs company, which I've seen recommended many times on the herbal FB page I visit. I found they have a balm called "Sitting Pretty Balm" that is specifically for hemorrhoids. Here's the link: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/se...3#product-1416
The first ingredient is Yarrow, and it has other stuff like St. John's Wort, Butcher's Broom, and witch hazel.
Ame C likes this.

Last edited by EverydayJoy; June 16th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
June 16th, 2014, 11:07 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck. I hope they work for you. Let us know how they do.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search