baby food

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did any body make their own baby food? Did you just take fruits and vegetables and puree them? I was thinking about doing some of this when the time came for Christian to start on some food but just not sure.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 16th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are recipes for baby food on the web, I know one of the mama's from my PR found a bunch and made some. I didn't do it, I couldn't find the time. I would think you can just puree them, but there might be a little addition of some sort of herb or spice to give them a little extra flavor?

June 16th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
We have. We started baby food a little earlier than I had planned, but Toren is such a piggy. I figured it was time. I cook then puree the veggies. I usually have to add some nursery water to the mix to make it thinner. The fruit is easy. Pear, mango, grapes (peeled), watermelon... so far it has all pureed up really easy. I haven't given him banana, strawberry, or avocado yet because those are the ones that most babies have allergic reactions to. Or so I have heard. I haven't actually read up on that myself. The only store bought baby food I have given him (so far) is the rice, oatmeal and prunes. I just had a recipe sent to me on how to make baby prunes myself. Now that I know how, I will try next time instead of buying it.

I just read an article 2-3 weeks ago on baby jar foods. I was disgusted... FDA allows up to 3 pesticides in each baby food. The foods with meat (like ham, chicken, beef) claim they are packed full of protien when actually they have very little protein in them and contain less than 2% of the meat that is on the label!!! After reading that, I decided making my own baby food would be the best choice for us. I don't feel comfortable knowing he is eating a small amount of 3 different types of pesticides in each jar.
melissalaw likes this.

June 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made my own with DS1 and have really started prepping to do the same for DS2. You don't have to go overboard if you don't want to.

When you are making dinner, set aside a 1/4 cup of the vegetable you are serving. Puree it with a little formula or water (every article says don't salt or spice baby food as it isn't good for baby and will train your baby to want that when transitioning to table food - but that's a parenting thing I think). Serve it room temp or a little warm. That way your child will eat what you are eating, you don't have to make a separate meal and you save money.

We grow almost all our food, so I have extra peas, carrots, squash, potatoes, broccoli and beans growing. I make baby food at dinner time.

I also make strawberry, blueberry, cherry, apple, pear and peach conserve and can it. One pint once opened, last 7 days, so baby gets the flavor of the week. It's not as handy as the tiny baby food jars, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper. I got the apples and pears FREE. The other fruits I got cheap from a pick your own farm.

Have fun!

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
June 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
What do you guys use to puree the foods? did you buy something like the baby bullet or the nutri bullet or do you just use a food processor?

June 16th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I just use my smallest food processor. I think it only holds 1.5 cups? It might be 2.5 cups, I can't really remember. It was only $20 I think. Haha! I can't remember because I've had it for several years and it's still got some giddy-up left to it.

June 16th, 2014, 01:24 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amy, I would be interested to read that article you found about pesticides and jarred meats. That's obscene! I guess it's a good thing Kody turns up his nose at jarred baby foods.

BTW, I don't know how you feel about fluoride, but Nursery Water I believe adds fluoride to their water (I don't know for sure, but I wonder if the water they start with already has fluoride?). I for one am not a fan of it after reading up on it, so I avoid that and use filtered tapwater--still has added fluoride, unfortunately, but I feel not as much as the Nursery Water. To avoid fluoride altogether, you can buy water that is filtered via reverse osmosis. I'd love to get one of the expensive filtration systems that removes fluoride, but it's really not something in our budget, so it's not going to happen.

I did home-made purees in the blender, fruit smoothies, and applesauce/bananas and other easy-to-mash foods. Cooked sweet potato, for example. Now that he's older, he can eat more solids, but I find he gags easily still, so I use a little baby food grinder, that my mom bought for Ethan when he was little. It's so handy to have! It has a hand crank, so no batteries or plug in. It grinds stuff down so it's smaller pieces and less gagging. But still solid enough for him to pick it up and eat. It's helpful for stuff you can't mash with a fork or don't feel like throwing into a blender, like ground beef or pasta. I can just grind small portions as well, since he only eats a little at a time. It's by KidCo. Here's a link for it: http://www.amazon.com/Food-Mill-Baby.../dp/B000067Q6J
It's only something you'll use for a relatively short while in your baby's life, but it's pretty cheap and I thought it was useful.

Oh and one more thing! Kody never liked the store-bought baby cereals either, but he liked my oatmeal, only it made him gag. So I used our regular oats from home, and before cooking with them, I ran them through the blender, to turn the oat pieces into little fine powder. It still has a little body to it, so not the perfectly fine powder of a baby cereal, but very manageable, and he really likes that. He likes to eat it for breakfast almost every morning. I add butter, cinnamon, a little maple syrup or brown sugar, even a touch of molasses for iron, and some milk to make it thin enough. He sure likes that.
melissalaw and Ame C like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joy I will do some hunting around and try to find it for you. It was on my facebook news feed. I will have to think back to who posted it.

Fluoride does concern me greatly. The label on the nursery water says no fluoride added... hmm!? I'll have to check and see if it's reverse osmosis water or not. I think it said distilled.

And your oatmeal idea sounds yummy!!
EverydayJoy likes this.

June 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Oops...sorry. Maybe I was looking at a different Nursery Water, or maybe it was next to another one that did have added fluoride. But it advertised it right on the label. So if it says no added fluoride, then you're ok.
Conventional filtering doesn't remove fluoride, nor does boiling it, so reverse osmosis or natural spring water is the only two that would likely be fluoride fere. You do have to research your spring water's sources, though, to make sure what you're getting.
Also, naturally occurring fluoride is much safer than what they add to our water supplies, since it's generally calcium fluoride---the fluoride ion is bound to the calcium, which helps it not be reactive with the body's tissues. So if for some reason the spring water comes from a source that naturally has fluoride, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

June 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have made ours in the past, mostly in the food processor or blender. I'd be careful myself about adding spices/herbs only because DD has one friend who has allergies to rosemary, another who has allergies to cinnamon (also egg, soy, and dairy and pineapple), and another who has allergies to some other herb I can't quite remember (cilantro maybe). And one of the kids had been coming to our house for like 2 years before I found out (on FB of all things) that she has an allergy to rosemary. Luckily I'd never served her any, but we do have it in our yard.

June 16th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Joy here it is. This isn't the exact same one I read before, but it's full of shockingly terrifying information about baby food.

The Truth About Baby Food Jars
melissalaw likes this.

June 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joy, I'm glad you mentioned Fluoride. I was always so weary about that, and never gave it to DS1 and don't intend to give it to DS2. I never used Nursery Water either. I used reverse osmosis bottled water.

Melissa, I puree my baby food with a handheld post blender. Like this, but a cheap walmart version. http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/count...d-blenders-3/-[KHB2351OB]-401100/KHB2351OB/

Amy, it's scary what they put in our food and baby food. Which is why we raise or hunt our meat now. You can make your own meat baby food without that stuff by going to a local butcher for your meat.

Theresa - that is alot of allergies to remember. How do you keep it all straight?

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
June 17th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm going to try and make most of Christian's baby food. I work full time so it won't be easy but it is awful all the crap they put in our food. I have been trying to get my family off of processed foods and switched over to organic fruits, veggies and meats. It is terribly expensive so we try to avoid all of the dirty dozen and buy other organics when we can afford it.

My family has put up a bit of a fight about the processed foods. it's awful some of the crap we feed our kids but my kids love gummies..lol.

June 17th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Melissa, babies sure don't eat a lot at first, maybe a tablespoon or two at a time. So it should be pretty easy at first, I would think. A neat idea I've seen is to make up a puree, then pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. Perfect little baby-sized portions. Then just thaw it out and feed.
melissalaw, lelila and Boos Moo like this.

June 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Joy the ice cube trays is a great idea. I'll definitely try that.
EverydayJoy likes this.

June 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM
We do the ice cube tray thing now and it's pretty neat. I got the idea from an online friend.

June 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I read that article, Amy. That's really scary. I mean, I knew baby food was less than the best, but I didn't know just HOW bad it was. That's disgusting. I see now that it's a good thing Kody didn't want baby food.
Ame C likes this.

June 17th, 2014, 12:11 PM
The powder baby rice and oatmeal isn't "good" either... I should really find a substitute for those. Joy, I'm glad you brought up the idea to put real cooked oatmeal in a blender. I don't know WHY I didn't think of that!

Does anyone know what I can use to mix in with watery baby food to thicken it up? That's what I was using the powdered stuff for.

June 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I bet you could use some oatmeal. What are you making that is too watered down? Could you add less water to make it thicker?

June 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM
The fruits are usually really watery. Grapes and watermelon needed to be a bit thicker.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search