Breastfeeding Momma's

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By lelila

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2014, 07:29 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How are our breastfeeding mommy's doing? How is baby doing? Have you started solid foods yet? How did baby do with those?

We are still doing great breastfeeding. Christian is a great nurser and he still prefers the boob to the bottle and if I'm anywhere around he will still not take the bottle. But thankfully at daycare he's gotten pretty good with the bottle. I plan on doing it as long as he wants to. I enjoy it and since he's my last I won't be ready to stop.

No solids here yet. We don't do solids until 6 months so I'll be starting him in about 2 months. I'm already looking into making my own baby food though so I'll be ready when he's ready to start solids.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 18th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
We did a total switch from breastfeeding to formula feeding. Not many people know... Not even all of my family knows. I guess I feel guilty. I don't really want to get into the details of why we stopped, but it is going really well. I honestly think it was perfect timing. Toren didn't have any issues switching, I was worried he would. Before when we were BF'ing he would only sleep at night on my chest with the boob in his mouth. Anytime I tried to move him to his bed, no matter how deep of a sleep he was in, it would wake him up and he wouldn't be happy until he was back on the boob. AS SOON as we started formula he was happy sleeping in his bed during the night. It was definitely much harder on me to stop BF'ing than it was for Toren. I would break down in tears several times throughout the days. I'm okay now, but it was really hard letting go.

We did start solids. Toren likes most of what I have given him. He's not a fan of carrots and he liked sweet potatoes the first time he tried them but none of the times after that. We are still experimenting and playing around with flavors.
melissalaw likes this.
June 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amy please don't feel guilty. As a mom you do what you need to do. Jacob was the same way. He wouldn't sleep unless he had a boob in his mouth. this went on for months. I was so exhausted and so tired. Mad my life so hard. I didn't switch him but looking back it would have been better if I would have. As long as Toren is doing well on the formula I wouldn't worry one bit. He's getting what he needs and you are getting some much needed sleep.

With Jackson he was a terrible nurser and would always fall asleep so I switched him to bottles and I would pump breastmilk and just feed him out of the bottles. Every baby is so different and as moms we have to adjust what we do according to what our babies need.

I am so thankful that Christian is such a good nurser. I couldn't have gone through what I went through with Jacob again.
Ame C likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
It's hard not to scrutinize every choice we make as parents. Then there is usually always the feeling of guilt. Like we are doing something wrong because things don't go 100% like we had planned. We have years and years to think about what kind of mommies we want to be to our children and when our reality is off from our dreams, it's a little disheartening. I know Toren is perfectly fine, but I still feel guilt that I wasn't able to accomplish everything I set out to do. I have to look at the bright side though. I made it to 4.5 months. That's longer than some women get the privilege of BF'ing. I'm okay with it.
melissalaw likes this.
June 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
lelila's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ame, my first DS was just the opposite. He'd SCREAM when I tried to nurse. I went to lactation consultants and classes and he hated every minute. I'd cry at night because he would try to eat and cry at the same time. After 5 weeks, I gave up and pumped and gave it to him in the bottle for another 2 mos until my milk went out. He was SO much happier.

Melissa is right. Don't feel guilty - you have to do what is best for you and your baby.

Colt is so different - He's a great nurser and won't take the bottle unless he's starving. I've been pumping and freezing every day and good thing too. On Monday I had a horrible migraine and had to take a migraine abortive, which is a class D med. I had to pump my milk and discard it. Colt had to take thawed breastmilk in a bottle for 24 hours. It was SO hard on him and me.
We won't start solids until he's 6 mos.
Ame C likes this.

Wife to Big Bull 40
Mommy to Big Brother our first Miracle Feb 24 2006
Mommy to Little Brother, our Rainbow, March 24, 2014

Never Forgetting our Angels 2012, 2013
June 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It is so hard not to feel guilty about many decisions as parents, but we have to remind ourselves that what is good for one baby and mama, may not be good for another. I was only able to BF DD1 for 3 weeks, and it was really mostly pumping and bottle feeding, but that got to be so exhausting that I just didn't want to spend my entire maternity leave trying to BF, pumping, being exhausted and not enjoying my baby. DH and I talked it through and we made the decision together. It was hard for me, because like you said, you feel so guilty, I cried too.

With DD2, she was a great nurser, but my skin couldn't handle it, no matter what I tried. Her latch was great, but my skin hated me. I was able to BF her for a week longer than DD1, so I decided to count that as an accomplishment and tried not to feel guilty, but I still did. I think that is what makes us mother's, feeling guilty when something we want so badly for our children, doesn't go the way we think it should or wish it would.

June 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Just keep breathing.
I'm breastfeeding. It's going okay, except that I've developed thrush. Not surprising, considering how many antibiotics I was on before/during/after delivery. Baby doesnt have any symptoms but we're both being treated- such a huge hassle. I was really stressed out about it, but our pediatrician said it really isn't a big deal.

Just in the past week I've started pumping and using a bottle. Clara seems to be adapting pretty well. She'll take it from me or DH. (granted, it's only been a handful of times that we've tried it)
June 18th, 2014, 04:45 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I'm breastfeeding.

DD wouldn't latch so I pumped and bottle fed her for a few weeks. She then went on formula and she's perfectly fine. so don't feel guilty about choosing formula.

Now August will latch but only with the help of a nipple shield. So I have to use a nipple shield every feed. It's going alright. It kinda sucks being the only one to feed but I'm adjusting. I do pump too and already have like 40 ounces in the freezer. I have an over supply of milk. Yes, it is possible. Whenever he feeds he chokes because I have so much milk come out so fast. I try not to pump because that makes it worse... But I just get so engorged

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search