Improved sleep, Zoloft?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Just keep breathing.
My baby girl is just over a month old. For 4 nights in a row she slept solidly from about 1:30/2 til 10 (waking twice to feed, going immediately back to sleep). For the last 2 nights, she has slept from about 10pm-6am, again waking twice to feed (once eating and immediately going back to sleep, the other time waking more, pooping, and needing a bit of soothing back to sleep- I was back in bed within 45 minutes).

I am hopeful- but strongly suspect it is too soon to see any kind of sleep pattern?

I feel like a new person getting a bit of decent sleep. I have been really struggling with anxiety- just feeling really keyed up, rushing around, snapping at my husband all the time, even giving myself insomnia by worrying that I might not fall asleep when I desperately needed it. It got so bad that I called up my therapist and was able to get a session yesterday. It helped a lot. She said Zoloft might be an option if I want it- safe for breastfeeding, can help lower my overall anxiety level.

I have absolutely no issues with taking medications like that if needed. I don't need to be a martyr, and I want to feel good and relaxed about this time with my baby. A few years ago I took Paxil, also for anxiety-induced insomnia that lasted for months. I was on it for 3 months. I did feel a lot more even-keeled, BUT I gained 20 pounds and it took me 3 months to wean off of it. Plus, I don't want to risk any decreased sex drive- after nearly 2 years of TTC, losses, and pregnancy, I'm ready to really focus on enjoying my sex life.

I see my therapist again on Monday, and will ask a bit more about the side effects. I will use some of the mental techniques we talked about yesterday to try to ease my stress levels. I also see my OB next Weds for my 6 week postpartum followup, and may ask her more about Zoloft then.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or any thoughts? A big part of me thinks just getting some decent sleep and adjusting a bit more will help- it's only been a month. But if things regress, or new stresses come up, I don't want to prolong getting help.
June 25th, 2014, 12:39 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have taken Zoloft in the past, it was one of the better ones as far as sexual side effects go. I had trouble with all of them for that except Zoloft and Wellbutrin.
I took it while breastfeeding and didn't seem to notice any side effects in baby.
I was on a very low dose of it, 25mg, I think the lowest size pill they have, because for me a higher dose would make me antsy, like I had way too much energy and was fidgety.
I think maybe first before you get on it, try things like drinking chamomile tea before bed, or just sips of it throughout the day to help calm you. Catnip is also good for calming. There are homeopathic remedies as well for stress and calming, such as Calms by Hyland's. There's also a product called "Natural Calm" that is magnesium and calcium, which are both calming.
If natural remedies don't work, then I'd go for meds. I hope you find what works for you!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 25th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, she is not too young to be sleeping like that, my DD1 started STTN at 5 weeks and never regressed. Of course, that isn't true for all babies, but you could be lucky! My mom said that all 4 of us STTN at around 4-5 weeks too.

I don't know anything about Zoloft, but I hope you can get answers!

June 25th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about zoloft either, but wanted to say I know of people who have these magic babies who STTN early, I personally don't have a baby like that, but now at 3 months she is sleeping a 6 - 7 hour stretch, wakes up to eat and then sleeps another 2 - 3 hours. And I hope you can get some more sleep, I agree with you it helps in so many things. FX.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search