More #'s came in

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got my progesterone # today & it was 16.7. She said that is low.....and that confuses me a bit since I thought over 15 was fine..but she said she wants to see it over 20. I guess it bothers me ONLY because we have a Dx for hte previous mc's & we know it has NOTHING to do with progesterone - so I don't get why they keep wanting to put me on progesterone. Anyway - so far my insurance isn't covering the kind she wants to give me - so they are working on a prior autorization thing with the insurance company, etc - it's over $200 & believe it or not - I don't even have the $ for that. She said it would only be for 18 days...(not sure how they came to that exact #), I did some research online (thus why I am online now - at a cyber cafe when I am on the road for work - I will use it as my lunch break)...anyway - it says that 7-47 seems to be the range....but I can find nothing definitive that tells me what is "low". I previously thought 10 was low...10-15 was mid low & over 15 was good. I hate all this conflicting info I get from one Dr to the next. My only objection is taking anything I may not need - especially when I am certain every medication same some potential for side effects - so I don't like the idea of taking anything I can do without. Oh well. I guess I will do what they say - because I am too worried to be wrong. I wish I had more certainty one way or the other.

I would love some comments, opinions, etc. I am feeling a little bit mixed up over this info.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Beck - I was on progesterone 100mg, 3x day from CD18 until 12 weeks. I didn't have any side affects from the meds.

As far as what "normal" is, I have no idea. I do know that my dr was fine w/my #'s, but I cannot remember what they were.

Also, I am not sure what type of progesterone your dr wants you to take, but I was on the pill form and it was a generic. My insurance did cover it.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Amy

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

August 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Your number is good, but I think that she is erring on the side of caution since you've had m/c's. It's always good to have a doctor who is over-cautious vs not cautious at all.
August 17th, 2006, 09:33 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on it 200mg at night, the suppos. version, which absorbs better. The only side effects I've noticed are ones I'd have if my natural progesterone was high enough to start with: sore bbs, sleepy. My doc said that taking it can only help, not hurt, so if there's a question it's better to take it. I also learned while researching yesterday, that in your mid to late 30's your ability to produce progesterone lessens and requires supplements to support a pg. I can't remember how old you are, but I'm 34 so it definitely applies to me. My progesterone was fine with DS 6 years ago.

As for the 18 days, once the placenta takes over, you don't need the progesterone supplement anymore. That happens ~9-12 weeks, so the 18 days would get you right to the middle of that range.

On the insurance, my insurance only sort of covers it (not for infertility, but yes for pregnancy support). We had to do the pre-auth thing, too. I had to pay up front, then submit for reimbursement. VegasMom said her doc was able to fax her Rx to a pharmaceutical supplier who gave it to her for $15 for 2 weeks. (go read my progesterone post on your subforum) You might ask if your doc knows of a local supplier who can do it. Also, check to see if you have a compounding pharmacy close by. We have 1, which will make the supp's for $2 each instead of $3 each at Walgreens.

Hope that helps. Try to find a way to come up with the money if you can. It's worth the $200 if it gets you into the 2nd trimester and prevents another loss.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
August 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hey beck! well when i had my first draw done mine was only a 12 and they werent concerned wiht it at all he put me on the progesterone pill just for my sanity.as for side affects after i finally did get my normal kick of progesterone topped wiht that of the pill i was, let me put it this way ONE EVIL B*TCH my DH didnt know whether he was comin or goin bless his heart...lol...but at 12 weeks i stopped and i leveled out.good luck to you

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
August 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG! Congrats! I have not had my pc and I feel like I have missed sooo much! Girl don't worry, my progsterone never got that high, infact the lowest was like 11.1 and I freaked but all was soo very well! :-)

August 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I got my progesterone # today & it was 16.7. She said that is low.....and that confuses me a bit since I thought over 15 was fine..but she said she wants to see it over 20. I guess it bothers me ONLY because we have a Dx for hte previous mc's & we know it has NOTHING to do with progesterone - so I don't get why they keep wanting to put me on progesterone. Anyway - so far my insurance isn't covering the kind she wants to give me - so they are working on a prior autorization thing with the insurance company, etc - it's over $200 & believe it or not - I don't even have the $ for that. She said it would only be for 18 days...(not sure how they came to that exact #), I did some research online (thus why I am online now - at a cyber cafe when I am on the road for work - I will use it as my lunch break)...anyway - it says that 7-47 seems to be the range....but I can find nothing definitive that tells me what is "low". I previously thought 10 was low...10-15 was mid low & over 15 was good. I hate all this conflicting info I get from one Dr to the next. My only objection is taking anything I may not need - especially when I am certain every medication same some potential for side effects - so I don't like the idea of taking anything I can do without. Oh well. I guess I will do what they say - because I am too worried to be wrong. I wish I had more certainty one way or the other.

I would love some comments, opinions, etc. I am feeling a little bit mixed up over this info. [/b]
I think your progesterone is probably fine. It's within the normal range. But I will tell you that I read studies where progesterone over 25 is associated with much better pregnancy outcome. I completely understand why you are frustrated given that you already have a diagnosis and it has nothing to do with progesterone. (Mine was progesterone related which is why I read a lot on the topic.)

Hang in there!

August 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM
hopin4a4rth
Mine was 11ish w/ Erich... I thought that was low because I heard 10+ is the 'norm'. But they said it was ok and he turned out to be fine.

Your # looks good to me...
ETA: I found this and thought it might interest you...
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/proges...pregnancy.shtml
August 29th, 2006, 03:43 PM
*~Candy~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was on progesterone suplements until I was 14 weeks into my pregnancy, my number was never low but they wanted me to take it just in case because in my first pregnancy that ended in a loss it was due to low progesterone. So it was a "just in case" type of thing.

August 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anything about numbers, just wanted to say I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you, and I hope you can get some answers so you can relax (yeah, like any of us can do that ).

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search